Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #61
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

That was the one part I totally hated.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #62
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

So now I am nervous going to see it tonight...
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #63
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Spoiler:
I can't get over the magical frozen Leia space flight thing. Honestly, what the fuck was that.
Totally stupid on many levels. That's probably the one thing I'd definitely change. Otherwise a few nitpicks but I was happy with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #64
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
So now I am nervous going to see it tonight...
Meh don't be, just go in with an open mind and enjoy yourself.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #65
Coster
We got the cup

I said this on twitter and Facebook: the Star Wars franchise is like DMB for me...the first three were amazing and I keep expecting/hoping for the magic to return but I just keep getting let down.
Coster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #66
Coster
We got the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Spoiler:
I can't get over the magical frozen Leia space flight thing. Honestly, what the fuck was that.
Yeah this was so dumb. Did anyone else think the special effects were below par for such a big budget movie? There were so many times where I knew i was looking at something fake.
Coster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #67
NiCK (Crush)

56% audience score on rotten tomatoes.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #68
Define Dancing

This was...
Spoiler:
not good.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 PM   #69
Define Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coster View Post
Yeah this was so dumb. Did anyone else think the special effects were below par for such a big budget movie? There were so many times where I knew i was looking at something fake.
Agreed on both points. During the spoilered scene, I think I actually said aloud "are you fucking kidding me?" And, yes, the VFX were definitely subpar. I was distracted by how fake things looked.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #70
Define Dancing

TFA and Rogue One were both way better than this. I'm actually shocked that critics think so highly of this movie.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #71
Josh.0

I haven’t seen this, but do you guys think maybe there’s some character deconstruction happening so that they’ll triumphantly make heroic returns in the last movie? It’s the middle movie. Middle movies are always depressing.

With all of that said, while I found the last movie entertaining, I’ve never understood the mass infatuation with this franchise. All of the movies are basically the same high-level story with different characters. I’ve said for as long as I can remember that Star Wars is the most overrated movie franchise in cinematic history. That’s not to say they’re not good - they’re entertaining enough - but they’ve never lived up to the praise they get from the masses, IMO.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #72
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I haven’t seen this, but do you guys think maybe there’s some character deconstruction happening so that they’ll triumphantly make heroic returns in the last movie? It’s the middle movie. Middle movies are always depressing.

With all of that said, while I found the last movie entertaining, I’ve never understood the mass infatuation with this franchise. All of the movies are basically the same high-level story with different characters. I’ve said for as long as I can remember that Star Wars is the most overrated movie franchise in cinematic history. That’s not to say they’re not good - they’re entertaining enough - but they’ve never lived up to the praise they get from the masses, IMO.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.
I've always found Star Wars to be more entertaining than actually good. I don't think the movies themselves really spin a narrative that's all that riveting and is often pretty standard and predictable. It's fun spectacle that brings out a kid like quality but I don't view them as examples of truly great cinema. I think they're remarkable achievements in the way that they capture people's imaginations and have had a crazy societal impact but there have always been glaring plot issues, weak acting, and general cheesiness throughout the series imo. I always enjoy seeing them on the big screen but don't find myself compelled to revisit them at home very often.

For some of the definite failings of the new movie, I actually liked that it was a bit different and some of the choices didn't fall directly in line with the same old story as the past. I'd rather fall flat taking some chances than continue to tell the same story over and over. TFA was a ton of fun, but the ultimate safe movie. What's the fun in seeing that over and over again? It hit the right nostalgic beats but it's a bit shallow at the end of the day.
Quote:
Old 12-16-2017, 12:46 AM   #73
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I just finished the movie and I'm not happy about it. I'm not excited for EP 9.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #74
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

Spoiler:
Maybe its the fanboy in me since I grew up with a poster of Luke staring at the Tattooine Sunsets as a kid, but I loved this. It didn't follow any conventional Star Wars tropes we have grown accustomed to and it actually was a good thing. Right off the bat there is a comedic moment with Poe and Hux (which was also present when Kylo first captures Poe in TFA), and Anakins/Lukes lightsaber, the object that became so crucial to the last movie, gets tossed aside like a piece of trash immediately. For everything i was able to predict would happen, 2 things happened I never saw coming, and it was refreshing. Luke went out the same way he came in, staring at a pair of suns setting on the horizon (the son of the Sonofsuns aka Anakin), and his final stand is going to be the legend that gives people across the galaxy hope for something better. The final scene of the stable boy recounting Luke's last stand against the First Order and then force grabbing the broom and holding it like a lightsaber and looking out into the stars was so awesome to me, and makes me more excited to see how the rebels and rey are going to rebuild.
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #75
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

I absolutely loved it. Force Awakens was fun, but felt like a remake and really didn't do much for me. I don't like every direction this one went, but am so relieved it wasn't just a remake of Empire. Despite breaking away, still managed to hit the nostalgia feels too. Just about all I could ask for
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #76
.Gary.

So many qualms with this movie.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #77
greykitkat36

Definitely didnít leave the theater feeling awesome like I did after Force Awakens. Iím not sure how I feel about it right now. There was a ton of bad dialogue and jokes that I didnít care for. I didnít like the humor..this isnít a marvel movie itís Star Wars. Seemed at times like it was trying to be like Raganarok with the jokes

. Star Wars has always been cheesy so I had no problem with that. I hated how we got literally no answers from this movie thoigh. We got nothing. I was mad about Snoke but rain Johnson made a good point the other day he said that in the original trilogy they never really explain senator palpatine or his backstory at all either which is a good point. So Snokes story could be one thatís told in a future movie. Learning that Reyís parents were nobodies (which Iím not sure I believe is nessecarily true) how we do know Kylo wasnít just saying that to weaken her resolve? If it is true, it was a severe letdown. Anakins parents were also nobodies, so it works. But it seemed a little weird that with literally no training sheís all of a sudden a master Jedi.

They made Luke out to be this bitter dude who was giving up the whole time. Though they did redeem him at the end. I still hate Adam Driver as the villain, heís not scary or intimidating in the least bit and heís way too swayed by the good still. I could care less about Finns story. They made him a prominent charter in force awakens and this movie just made him seem like a Han Solo Liteówithout the charisma or badass-ness.

Iím expecting Thecnext movie to be an exact remake of Return Of The Jedi just like force awakens was a remake of New Hope. I think logically Rey will bring back the Jedi and the rebellion they will defeat the first order and rather than killing Kylo Ren she will turn him to the good side and all will be peace with the universe. As is a perfect, safe Disney ending.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #78
brian3641

This article is a bit long and he starts to repeat himself a bit at the end, but it's definitely worth the read. It's like he took the words right out of my mouth.

[Only registered users can see links.]
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:10 AM   #79
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
This article is a bit long and he starts to repeat himself a bit at the end, but it's definitely worth the read. It's like he took the words right out of my mouth.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Wow thanks for posting that. That was extremely well written and passionate and honestly almost flawless logic. He’s right on so many levels about this movie. The only thing I can see is that the last movie will tie everything together and this movie will make a lot more sense. Maybe they’ll explain snoke and we’ll find out that Snoke had full control of Luke and the only place he was safe was that island. It wasn’t until Snoke got killed that Luke was able to return to the reisistance. That would help to explain a lot. Still wouldn’t redeem this movie, but I’d personally feel a little less pissed.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #80
greykitkat36

HOLY CRAP. I had a huge revelation involving the new trilogy and Darth Plageuis and Snoke. We know that there were theories about Snoke being Darth Plagueis and even though The Last Jedi seemed to completley crap on all fan theories, hear this out.

Rey was born completely by the force as a direct result of Darth Plagueis' influence in the use of midi-chlorians . According to the book about Darth Plagueis, Anakin had the highest level of midi-chlorians they had ever seen When Anakin died in Return Of The Jedi, Plaugeis was able to use his midi-chlorians to create Rey as a vessel to eventually become immortal.. In Revenge Of The Sith, Palpatine tells Anakin that Plagueis was so powerful that he could actually manipulate the midi-chlorians to create life. We see that Rey has no parents at all, and that she was drawn incredibly to the dark hole during her time on the island with Luke. This wasn't any coincidence. She has no parents because she was created by Plaugeis using the force, hence why she sees herself in the mirror and why she needs absolutely no training at all to be as strong as she is. Though I doubt that the last movie will go this route, because they'll probably mess it up, but think about this. This final movie could be a ridiculous twist of events.

Remember when Kylo Ren said "I know what I have to do?" before he used the force to kill Snoke? Perhaps that was Snoke's plan the entire time. He influenced Kylo Ren to kill him so that he could enter Rey through the force and become an even more powerful, immortal sith lord. We may see Snoke come back and enter Rey's mind through the force after she gains the trust of the rebellion and influences her to kill the entire rebellion and remaining jedi from the inside out. As this happens, Luke returns to Kylo Ren as a force ghost along with Leia and sway him to the light side of the force, where Kylo Ren eventually becomes the true real hero of the series and brings back the jedi to full force. Too much to happen in just one movie though, and they've already kind of set the stage with a Rey/Kylo showdown.

I mean the whole thing with Rey's parents and that whole scene with the mirror, and then the fact that she's incredibly powerful with no training, and literally can do anything she wants makes me think there's definitely got to be more to this story that they haven't fleshed out. They can't be that dumb and careless to just leave that glaring plot hole in there. Even in force awakens, when she touches the light saber she can literally see everything that happened in the past. There's no way that happens with just being born from nobodies. Even Anakin needed years of training. And why is Rey at the end of the movie suddenly able to lift all those rocks? She just suddenly thought about it and it happened? Or is it she became stronger because Snoke has now entered her through the force?

Now, that would be incredibly crazy, twisty and interesting and would make this movie make more sense but we all know they are most likely going to take the most predictable route, as this movie clearly showed. I just wanted to give myself a shred of hope that maybe all the stuff we hated about this movie will be justified and villified in the last movie.

Last edited by greykitkat36; 12-19-2017 at 02:16 AM.
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc