These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #1081
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I would jump in at 1000 Kisses or Impossible Dream personally. Her first album is good, but it's basically a solo acoustic demo and not really indicative of her best work.
hmm... well it's already downloading and i generally just start from the beginning with artists/bands. thanks for the heads up though, at least i know what to expect going in.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #1082
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
I would put forward this as a sign that Fiona Apple's got some musical and lyrical chops...

inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #1083
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
hmm... well it's already downloading and i generally just start from the beginning with artists/bands. thanks for the heads up though, at least i know what to expect going in.
I like to start from the beginning too.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #1084
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I would put forward this as a sign that Fiona Apple's got some musical and lyrical chops...

i'll never deny her musical and lyrical ability. i'm just naturally put off by women like her. but that's probably a personal issue more than anything else.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #1085
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
hmm... well it's already downloading and i generally just start from the beginning with artists/bands. thanks for the heads up though, at least i know what to expect going in.
Fair enough. Just don't give up till you reach one of those and I'll go along. Her first two records I love, but I discovered them after those two, so that may have helped. I feel like she figured out what she was trying to do on her third.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #1086
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I would put forward this as a sign that Fiona Apple's got some musical and lyrical chops...

They're all great songs, obviously, but Hot Knife has me mesmerized.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #1087
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Fair enough. Just don't give up till you reach one of those and I'll go along. Her first two records I love, but I discovered them after those two, so that may have helped.
noted
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #1088
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
i'll never deny her musical and lyrical ability. i'm just naturally put off by women like her. but that's probably a personal issue more than anything else.
Again, fair enough. I just find myself drawn to strong female rock musicians. I think it has something to do with the idea of rebellion in rock music. God knows a woman would have more of worth to say than some middle class white dude. But, ironically enough, that's probably a personal bias for me as well.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #1089
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
They're all great songs, obviously, but Hot Knife has me mesmerized.
Holy shit, that song is fucking crazy. It's kind of stereotypical (albeit great) Fiona Apple up till then and then that song.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #1090
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Holy shit, that song is fucking crazy. It's kind of stereotypical (albeit great) Fiona Apple up till then and then that song.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #1091
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Again, fair enough. I just find myself drawn to strong female rock musicians. I think it has something to do with the idea of rebellion in rock music. God knows a woman would have more of worth to say than some middle class white dude. But, ironically enough, that's probably a personal bias for me as well.
i need to preface this again with my lack of a lot of familiarity with her, but:

i don't see her as strong. if anything, she seems frail and weak and prone to a nervous breakdown at any moment. i mean, isn't that one of her infamous most known qualities? that's part of what bugs me about her. sure, she's rebellious but she also seems fucking crazy. when it's a triumph for her to even make it through an entire performance without melting down... that's not strong.

and, i guess being a middle class white dude is why i generally respond to middle class white dudes in music (Dave, the Boss, Gaslight, DBT, etc.)
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #1092
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Yeah, I didn't mean to close the door to middle class white dudes making great rock music. Hell, that's me, so I hope the door is open.

It's just that (and this is opening a whole huge can of worms) rock and roll seems to me to be very much a boy's club kind of atmosphere. It does kind of piss me off cause I think a lot of great music goes unheard, or to put it better, goes undeveloped because of it.

As for Fiona, I would say she's vulnerable and open about herself as opposed to weak, but I could certainly see where you're coming from on that.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #1093
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
got to you tube and search "Fiona Apple and Quentin Tarantino in Iconoclasts" It's a show that was on the Sundance channel where two famous people who were friends with each other would hang out and kind of interview each other and have discussions. Great info on both Fiona and Quentin.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #1094
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Yeah, I didn't mean to close the door to middle class white dudes making great rock music. Hell, that's me, so I hope the door is open.

It's just that (and this is opening a whole huge can of worms) rock and roll seems to me to be very much a boy's club kind of atmosphere. It does kind of piss me off cause I think a lot of great music goes unheard, or to put it better, goes undeveloped because of it.

As for Fiona, I would say she's vulnerable and open about herself as opposed to weak, but I could certainly see where you're coming from on that.
yeah i see where you're coming from. and i agree in theory that rock and roll by nature should be an open door policy, but in general for my taste i'm drawn to male centered music 90% of the time. i think it's a relateability thing more than anything else, as well as a dash of my admitted sexism. but it's just the way it is. i'm harder on women, they have to work harder to win me over.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #1095
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #1096
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
I'm not trying to be forceful about it, but you guys really should check out what I suggested in my last post. It'll be entertaining whether you're a fan of Fiona, Quentin, or both. I'm rewatching it now.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #1097
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
nigga i'm listening to punk rock i ain't got time for that
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #1098
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
nigga i'm listening to punk rock i ain't got time for that
Thank you. I don't think I've ever seen "nigga" and "punk rock" in the same sentence.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #1099
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
nigga i'm listening to punk rock i ain't got time for that
Fiona is a form of punk rock...although that may be punk rock as an ideology.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #1100
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Fiona is a form of punk rock...although that may be punk rock as an ideology.
she using 3 chord's and chain gang choruses? no? NOT INTERESTED
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.09941 seconds with 17 queries