These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2021, 01:06 PM   #21
Josh.0

Brandon, totally unreal. As soon as you said your leg was swollen I thought “DVT, 100%.”

If you don’t mind sharing, did they have you on heparin at first? Prior to surgery? Now probably warfarin or Lovenox?

Just friendly advice: when I had my DVT and subsequent pulmonary embolism in 2016 it was from a torn calf and then spending too much time in a walking boot. But later I found out I had a minor clotting disorder called Factor 5 Leiden that contributed to the clot and then the PE. It’s mostly a benign condition, but it is genetic and the people who have it clot slightly faster than people that don’t. This means they’re at higher risk of DVT’s when they’re sitting for a long time or immobile in any way for a long time. I don’t have to take warfarin anymore (I did for a year after my DVT PE) but I’m supposed to be taking a daily aspirin now because of the F5L diagnosis. If you haven’t already, I’d have a hematologist test for this? Something like 3%-8% of Caucasian populations have it, so it’s probably worth looking into.

I’m very happy to hear you’re okay. What a miserable end to an awful year. Better days are ahead brother.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #22
Fan#41

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the thoughts.

Josh, yes I was on a heavy IV drip of heparin for the entire duration of my stay, pre and post op. There are two types of genetic disorder regarding that Factor 5 Leiden variant in the Factor 5 gene and I was diagnosed with one. If you are positive for both then you have to have blood work done every few months, you're on loads of different medications, etc... Thankfully I have the lesser variant. So as of right now, I'm on 5mg of Eliquis (twice a day), which you don't need to monitor with constant blood work like you would if you are taking Warfrain, I have to make sure I time myself sitting down and get up and walk around every 30 min or so, and for the time being I have to wear anti-embolism stockings, especially when I'm sitting and when I work out. What I have learned over the last few weeks is what a struggle it is to keep these damn things up. They always roll down to my knees, which is common for almost anyone who wears the full stocking (not the sock), and that can be dangerous too because if you just leave them around your knees, they tighten and constrict one of the veins on the inner part of your knee leading up your thigh which is where the clots tend to form. So you have to a) make sure you have the exact size, b) be mindful of when they slip down and try and find the best solution for you personally to keep them up (I ordered something called "It Stays" which has been highly recommended by a lot of DVT patients), and c) wear them at the appropriate times. Some people wear them all day, even to bed which is another big no-no.

What was confusing to the Doctors, and myself, was that I didn't have any real signs of the clots, especially with how large they were. I think I had a swollen leg 3 years ago, nothing drastic, and it went away the following day. They said that I may have "aggravated" the clots enough when I was lifting and stretching so much in such a short period that the veins they were collecting were constricting more than usual.

Thankfully they did not have to insert any Mesh or Stint. My veins were easily "ballooned" by the surgeon which he had to do anyway to extract the clots carefully and that told him that once my blood became thin then the vein could easily expand and they wouldn't have to insert anything foreign.

Full disclosure to some of you who don't know me personally, I'm 6'0, and at my worst (last year) I was close to 300lbs. I have diabetes and for the longest time I wasn't taking care of myself. My A1c levels, which if you're not sure what that is, its a typical 3 month measurement of your blood sugars, were hovering close to 10. You want your A1C to be around 6. 10 is very dangerous and means you need to be on a heavy dosage of injectable insulin, and prolonged high A1C's in diabetics cause strokes, especially at my age. Anyway, over the last 12 months I've lost 50lb's, been eating better (and better portion size which is equally as important), making sure I'm checking my sugar levels daily, going for walks, exercising, everything. I've also been making it a habit to go to bed earlier as I've always been a night-owl which is the worst because that's when you make poor dietary decisions and your sleep patterns effect how well you can exercise. Losing weight will also help reduce my sleep apnea which is just as important as anything. I've never been a truly healthy guy, I've made poor dietary decisions all my life and this last year has 100% been a struggle. It's not fun, nor is it easy (no one said it would be) especially when you have to change your lifestyle in a sense, not just changing some foods on a plate. And you know the funniest shit about all this...Because it's gotten cold and I don't want to walk in 20 degree weather, I ordered gym equipment and had it delivered to my house (exercise bike and elliptical...and the VERY next day after I had this equipment delivered...that's when I had to go to the hospital for my clots. Life can be fucked and funny sometimes. But next week is the first week I can begin using my equipment and I'm very excited to continue on with what I started a year ago.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #23
Josh.0

1) to dedicating yourself to your health. I love and respect anyone that does that, especially when they take ownership over the past because it allows them to take real steps towards a new future. Excuses are for assholes.

2) Those socks fucking suck! I remember running into the same issue, where they “choked” the area behind my knee, but when I bought bigger ones, they’d just fall. I also made the mistake of wearing them to bed, which is what may have actually caused the clot.

3) Eliquis is a wayyy better option than warfarin because yeah, those PT/INR tests *blow*. I never had it, for whatever reason my doc insisted on warfarin (probably my shitty insurance at the time), but I hear it’s way easier to manage.

4) F5L blows, especially when you have both variants. I think we must be in the same boat in that we lucked out with only one. I let my whole family know about it too so they knew to get tested, and sure enough, my siblings all have it too. They all also take aspirin now when they fly or go on long road trips, just as a precaution.

5) Very happy to hear you caught that clot before it moved. That’s really, really scary shit. People talk about COVID all the time buts it’s shit like this few know about that kills 100K people a year, and they can be 10 years old or 100, it doesn’t matter (not to downplay COVID, more making a point about how most people should actually be worried about a bevy of other health risks first).

I’ll never forget my ER doc looking me in the eye and telling me I had a PE and he didn’t know “if there could be another” while they injected me with Lovenox and then eventually got me on a heparin drip. Scariest night of my life. Blood clots are no joke and people don’t talk about them nearly enough.

Oddly enough, I think January 26 is my five year anniversary of my PE. Crazy to hear you just went through an much, much scarier but somewhat similar ordeal. Happy you’re on the mend, dude.
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #24
Fan#41

Thanks buddy.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #25
Bluewater34
Is Old

Brandon, thank goodness you got through that. That must have been completely terrifying. So glad that you’re on the other side of it.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #26
batleon

Geez that sounds horrible. The separation, the lack of sleep, the worry about the clots (that shit is serious)... glad you're on the mend!

Good to hear about a non-COVID related hospital stay as well, that part is certainly encouraging. I know one of our biggest worries here would be that COVID stuff could impact an unrelated health problem.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #27
Mersh

Wow, very scary. Glad to hear your are recovering. As for the lifestyle change, and it truly is and has to be a full lifestyle change, just keep going man. Sounds like you are on the right track and eventually not only does it just become part of your schedule (the eating and exercise), it becomes part of making your life better and you’ll be so happy you did it. Good luck.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #28
.Gary.

Brandon I've never met you but I've known you through the boards for nearly 20 years. Keep on the path you're on and use this as the moment in time to springboard forward to health and personal achievement. Just wanted to say I hope you keep improving.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #29
Josh.0

Welp, I got the Ďrona.

AMA.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #30
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Welp, I got the Ďrona.

AMA.

Do you know where you picked it up?

After you were tested, did your County call you to tell you tested positive? If so, did they try to do contact tracing?
Old 01-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #31
Josh.0

No idea, but I was at Target the other day and it was packed. There, maybe the gym. I have no idea.

I started noticing real symptoms Tuesday, though several days before, on Friday night, I had randomly sweat a lot in bed. I felt sort of warm, but not really what I’d call truly “feverish.” I thought it was just hot under the sheets with the GF Rest of the weekend I felt fine.

Then Tuesday I noticed a little cough. Persistent but not debilitating in any way. Then yesterday a little headache and slight fatigue, like I worked out hard the day before. A little “fuzziness” in my vision. I can still taste and smell everything. Last night I also got the sweats again, slightly worse than Friday.

Who really knows?

So far it feels like a minor cold, but it’s still early.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #32
Josh.0

Also, I got my test at Walgreens. Nothing from the county yet.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #33
Tomacco

Damn. If I had to guess, it was the gym. Surprised they're open. A lot of breathing and body molecules flying around in the air there I imagine. Or maybe from your GF? Or Target.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #34
Josh.0

There’s no way to know. It could have been when I paid for gas one day. Or went through the Starbucks drive thru at night. Or walked by multiple people at the supermarket. Or helped a neighbor carry a heavy package to her door a few days ago. Or stopped at a yoga studio to drop off some equipment. Or the gym. Or Target. Or the GF. Or someone’s dog in the hallway.

This is why contact tracing is sort of silly business. Unless you’ve literally talked to like one or two humans and NEVER left your house otherwise, it’s impossible to know where you get it from. It’s aerosolized. It could have floated into your nostrils or your eyeballs literally anywhere, at any point, as far back as two days or 14 days.

I bet there are at least another 20 “close proximity” interactions I’ve had in the last two weeks as well that I can’t remember. It’s impossible to tell.

I’m quarantining, obviously, until I pull two negative PCR tests. But so far so good in terms of the severity of the symptoms. It feels very, very mild, but I know that can change.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #35
Tomacco

Have you been wearing a mask during all those interactions?
But yeah, staying home is the only real solution, which is what we're being told to do. Nothing except grocery stores are open anyway.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #36
Josh.0

Yup, always have had it on. No one’s seen my face in public since probably April. Also been anal about social distancing.

The mask doesn’t do much to protect me anyways.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #37
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Welp, I got the Ďrona.

AMA.
Well Damn, sorry to hear that man. Hope you have the mildness of symptoms and you recover quickly. Time to boost up on Oregano Oil, Green Smoothies and Zinc.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #38
Josh.0

Iíve been all up in vitamin D (5,000 IUs), multi-Vís (the one I have is high in zinc), vitamin C, aspirin (to prevent clots), and, of course, orange juice just so I can feel good about chugging it with impunity.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #39
sneaksbeac

So since we are all in the trust tree....

I am a Covid survivor....I half kid....I tested positive back in October. I am a college lacrosse coach and I spent a weekend outside working on a cold rainy weekend. A few days later I had a cold. Postnasal drip, cough, slight soreness. Didn't really think anything of it, since I usually get a cold in the fall after events like that. I took some cold meds and was fine a few days later.

The next week (on a Tuesday) my father was going in for a Sleep Study and needed to be tested ahead of his test. Meanwhile my mother developed a pretty bad cough, and as a retired nurse it got bad enough where she went to get tested separately from my Dad. Testing being a bit of a disaster if you don't go to the right places took a few days. My Dad found out he was positive, but very much asymptomatic. This is now late Wednesday. Meanwhile my mother is getting worse.

Quick back story on my living situation, myself, my wife, my two kids all share a house with my parents.

Once we get the positive result for my father myself, my wife and kids all isolate as best we can and go get tested, on Friday. So now my house of 6 is waiting on 5 test results to come back. My wife's little annoyances going on with her body are now COVID sympotoms, I feel fine at this point, my kids are fine, my mother is still worse. On Saturday morning we get my daughters results back pretty quick, and she is negative. My mother is getting worse and worse, and there is nothing we can do at this point except wait. Saturday night rolls around and she finally gets the notification that she is positive. The next morning, I wake up and it's chaos on there end of the house, my father is shuffling around and my mother is wheezing in bed. Overnight she got MUCH worse and we needed to call 911 to come and get her. On Sunday morning she was admitted to the hospital. That afternoon we found out my wife was positive, the following day we found out my son and I were positive as well.

I will spare you all the details but it was bad. Being a smoker for almost 50 years coupled with some under lying health conditions made her fight extremely hard. She flirted early on with needing one of those world famous Trump Brand Ventilators, but ended up just needing oxygen, like a lot. She was in the hospital for almost two weeks, and when she came home was still not even close to being 100%. For a couple more weeks she was on Oxygen at home, but slowly weened off of it. Doing things around the house was a challenge for her. Now a couple months later she is starting to feel normal, and small tasks are that bad.

So yea..my house really covered all the bases of the news stories you see, well except the death part. I hope no one has had to deal with that.
sneaksbeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #40
Josh.0

Thanks for sharing that story my friend.

I have to ask, please donít see this as insensitive, Iím more just curious: do you think this will get your mom to permanently stop smoking?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc