These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #241
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekalexup View Post
I absolutely love this show. Just the 5 of them. So raw and hungry. Roi absolutely owns and Dave at times, is a little extra.
It's top tier, no doubt!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #242
celluloid hero

And if you don’t agree, you are self-righteous.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #243
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
And if you don’t agree, you are self-righteous.
Really?
Old 01-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #244
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
And if you donít agree, you are self-righteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:58 PM   #245
Minarets
so damn interesting.

Have to admit I was disappointed in the LIOG after the build up here. Seems standard issue with Dave singing in the background. The #41 was great. The only Jimi I think I can stomach over the last few years.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #246
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Getting the tour debut of Seek Up at Mansfield N2 and being in the second to last slot in the main set...just awesome. I LOVE that version of Money. Roi's approach to his solos on that cover just made me smile and I love Tim mimicking Dave's little vocal throws towards the end, just an outstanding performance.
Yeah I agree with you, having been at SPAC N2 that year (and Hartford N2 the previous week) my expectations for Mansfield that year were fairly low but they gave us a really good two night stand, arguably the best two nighter I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
I like early 2008 because the band found a new energy with Tim and a inspired Roi. Itís just I think some of these sets are less than ideal to put it nicely (except SPAC N2). That Mansfield set mentioned above is pretty average or even close to a bad setlist. Itís really cool to get a very late set Seek Up. Itís just the rest of the show isnít my taste really. Iím just not a fan of early 2008 sets. Maybe itís because Iím not a fan of random covers, Cornbread, Eh Hee, and the Stand Up songs that were still in the mix at the time. That stuff was all over these sets . I like the sets after LeRoiís accident better. They added some variety. Started seeing some Help Myself, DIDO, Sugar Will, Spoon and Halloween. Particularly liked Alpine and The Gorge run that year.

At the end of the day, I wouldnít mind another early 2008 live trax because I love the sound of the band that year. Iím just not nearly as impressed with the sets like some are.
Does not compute. I think Patsfan summarized below and I agree on most of his points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I was a young pup for those shows. Money was tight back in those days (sophomore in college) but I made it to SPAC N1 and Mansfield N2. I love those shows I wish I made it to the two in between but still an amazing two shows. Some of my favorite live versions of songs Iíve ever seen. Roi was so amazing Iím glad I really had a show where I said out loud ďwow Roi is incredibleĒ. Such an amazing turn around from the 2007 shows I saw there.

The highlights of the shows for me are:
Bartender (Spac) -hearing Tim on this outro was really eye opening for me. Perfect intro to Spac and Tim.
Proudest monkey (Spac) such a breezy jam.
Everyday (Spac) Tim and Boyd on the outro do some really great stuff
Eh hee (Spac) Tim really took this song to another level for me
Two step (Spac) - Tim and Carter jam takes this one to another level. My personal favorite
Nancies (Spac) - this was super high energy really was fantastic
Crush (Spac) - this was where Roi shined. I was blown away by how hard he was playing.
DDTW (Mansfield) perfect way to start the show at that time.
41 (Mansfield) - thrilled to hear this at the time
Bayou (Mansfield) early set and fanatic
Loving wings (Mansfield) all I can say is wow
Jimi (mansfield) really good version. I remember the jam just being so fun and fresh
Money (Mansfield) was so glad to hear this. Unique cover.
So damn lucky (Mansfield) what they were doing with this song at this point was really cool. I was very glad they repeated it from the prior night.
Seek up (Mansfield) this felt like the show would end then they started this. Insane to me at the time.
Two step (Mansfield) after seek up I thought it would be something short. Surprise of the night.

I could talk about those shows forever. So perhaps I am biased but those are some special memories for me (some hazier than others).
I can hear you knock this setlist in some spots (particularly the encore) but the opening run, a legitimate best-ever candidate Loving Wings and closing a show with Seek Up/Two Step back to back... trust me it was a good show. Average looking setlist on paper? Maybe, but I don't see how you could say it's "close to bad"

I know, it's all subjective.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #247
JimBeam41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
Have to admit I was disappointed in the LIOG after the build up here. Seems standard issue with Dave singing in the background.
Because you can't hear Dave sing in the middle. Listen to the CAASH tape, it's an amazing version.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #248
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Yeah I agree with you, having been at SPAC N2 that year (and Hartford N2 the previous week) my expectations for Mansfield that year were fairly low but they gave us a really good two night stand, arguably the best two nighter I've ever seen.

Does not compute. I think Patsfan summarized below and I agree on most of his points:

I can hear you knock this setlist in some spots (particularly the encore) but the opening run, a legitimate best-ever candidate Loving Wings and closing a show with Seek Up/Two Step back to back... trust me it was a good show. Average looking setlist on paper? Maybe, but I don't see how you could say it's "close to bad"

I know, it's all subjective.
I would also add the encore isnt that bad if it wasnt something that was beat into the ground. Thank You encore at the time was new and Dave was really into getting the crowd going with it. If it didnt happen for years afterwards, it would have been unique. I will also add, they were running short on time and if you look at the cuts from the setlist the show is on paper just as good as SPAC N2 IMO. Adding Rhyme into the encore totally changes things to me also So Much > Too Much would have been awesome in between Seek Up & Two Step.

I also think of this show very similarly to 12.8.98 (i know this may be blasphemous but hear me out). The setlist is nothing exciting looking back on it years later, but at the time its a tight set that really nails what they were doing great with that tour. Sure, Dreaming Tree would have been good to add but 12.8 doesnt have minarets, LIOG would make the set look better but Say Goodbye was being played in winter 98 and isnt in 12.8 either. In the context of the tour, i think these shows are really similar. I admit theres no Linus and Lucy rarity and the encore isnt anywhere close but ive always felt there were some similarities between those shows although they were 10 years apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #249
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I would also add the encore isnt that bad if it wasnt something that was beat into the ground. Thank You encore at the time was new and Dave was really into getting the crowd going with it. If it didnt happen for years afterwards, it would have been unique. I will also add, they were running short on time and if you look at the cuts from the setlist the show is on paper just as good as SPAC N2 IMO. Adding Rhyme into the encore totally changes things to me also So Much > Too Much would have been awesome in between Seek Up & Two Step.

I also think of this show very similarly to 12.8.98 (i know this may be blasphemous but hear me out). The setlist is nothing exciting looking back on it years later, but at the time its a tight set that really nails what they were doing great with that tour. Sure, Dreaming Tree would have been good to add but 12.8 doesnt have minarets, LIOG would make the set look better but Say Goodbye was being played in winter 98 and isnt in 12.8 either. In the context of the tour, i think these shows are really similar. I admit theres no Linus and Lucy rarity and the encore isnt anywhere close but ive always felt there were some similarities between those shows although they were 10 years apart.
I'm glad they dropped So Much > Too Much when time was short. Having it in between those two songs, or even potentially dropping Two Step for it (which would have been a viable option) would not have been as good as what we got. I agree Rhyme E1 would have made that encore much more favorable, but, whatever.

Also look at the stats for Thank You:
[Only registered users can see links.]
All the hate for Thank You comes from the fact that it closed 9 shows in the first month of the 2008 tour. Since then it's barely been played at all. In fact, I'm guessing there would probably be quite a few people here who never heard it all save for the fact that it got played at the venues this particular group of fans has frequented.
Bottom line is the Thank You hate? Really unwarranted IMO.

Also it's really funny you mentioned 12/8/98, here's my review of the show listening to the tape a few years later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Dave Matthews Band
June 25, 2008
Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA

Spoiler:
Don't Drink the Water
Crash into Me
Louisiana Bayou
Loving Wings
Corn Bread
Jimi Thing
Money Ľ
So Damn Lucky
The Idea of You
Where Are You Going
Seek Up
Two Step
-----------------------------------
Sister
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

This was my 19th show.

Wait, only 15 songs? The original band plus Tim? Lots of long, jammy classics - #41, Jimi, Seek Up, and Two Step - all in the same set? Is this a Fall '98 show or a June '08 show?

OK maybe that's a bit much but I do consider this as close to Fall '98 as you can get. This set is short and maybe doesn't have the best flow, and the encore is questionable - blame the Mansfield curfew for all of these things - but it's a good little show. Roi is all over it, great fills everywhere. Some of the highlights:

- A nice one-two punch of DDTW and #41 to open with great work from both Roi and Timmy on both
- Bayou in the four slot rather than late set, a nice touch
- Another cool Money with a segue into SDL
- Idea of You sounds good here
- Seek Up and Two Step to end the main set? Yeah who wouldn't take that

The real star of this show though - the Loving Wings. This is an all time classic version busted out of nowhere. Everyone is on point. Roi's work is gorgeous, Rashawn is restrained and tasteful, then Timmy takes off and lifts it into the stratosphere, and Carter takes it home. Just gorgeous.

The lowlights:
- It does bum me out that they felt the need to repeat Cornbread and SDL when songs like PFWYG, Rhyme & Reason, and So Much > Too Much (which, as I've noted were never better than they were at this time) were cut during this two night stand.
- Late set WAYG was like a nutpunch. I thought we'd dodged that bullet when they didn't go into WAYG after Loving Wings was over.
- The encore... meh. I don't hate on Thank You like other people do, but it was starting to get tired at this point and putting Sister E1 before it was a poor choice.

Honestly though I loved this show. It has a chill, jammy vibe that you rarely get from post-2000 DMB. This was the end of my June '08 run and I remember thinking as I left that show that if I never saw DMB play again after this I would be satisfied as a fan. Ironic looking back, because in a way, I never really HAVE seen that same band again and I never will

Rating: ****1/2 Good show with some missteps

LT Desire: I guess not. But for the love of God please, please, please release this Loving Wings someday. This is pure unadulterated DMB joy in a single performance.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #250
sean52692
You failed this band

That Loving Wings is absolutely one of the top 3-5 versions around. Roi and Tim are fantastic.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc