These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #6381
Tomacco

[Only registered users can see links.]

Yeah this is promising and great to hear especially the part about it being able to be stored in regular freezers
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #6382
Mersh

and fully remote for a few days because of cases and quarantines.

We've yet to have a transmission traced backed to school in this area. It's all things people are doing outside of school. The Halloween parties the kids had 2 weeks ago came back at us.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #6383
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
...especially the part about it being able to be stored in regular freezers
Thatís what caught my attention the most as well. This may have rendered the Pfizer vaccine obsolete, though Iím sure itíll still be manufactured and distributed.

Thatís two soon-to-be-approved vaccines in a week. Talk about something to celebrate in time for the holidays.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #6384
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Now, if Johnson and Johnson can hit a home run. I think theirs is one shot and can be stored at regular temperatures.

Pfizer’s won’t be obsolete. One because we bought a billion dollars worth, and two because we need to vaccinate billions of people. But, this is all tremendous news. Having two effective vaccines moves the entire timetable up.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #6385
Josh.0

Oh for sure, I was more thinking long term if people needed to vaccinate over several years (or if there ends up being a need for additional long term vaccinations in some populations) the overhead is much lower for Moderna.

For example, I work quite a bit in medication management, and everywhere I’ve worked the health system purchases the cheapest possible version of any drug and administers that to patients. Tylenol, for example, is a brand of acetaminophen, but Tylenol itself is rarely used, instead generic versions of Tylenol are used because they’re much cheaper to purchase and have the same therapeutic effect. Health systems pay such close attention to this that solid form compound drugs, like Caduet, which is a single tablet that’s really a mixture of two drugs (amlodipine and atorvastatin), is typically administered as two tablets (amlodipine and atorvastatin) instead of the one tablet (Caduet). Why? Amlodipine and atorvastatin, purchased separately, are often way cheaper than the compound of the two that is Caduet.

That’s a long way of saying once the initial doses, which are being paid for by the feds, are administered (and that contract with Pfizer is satisfied), producers like Moderna (or anything even cheaper than Moderna) will likely become the manufacturer of choice for health systems paying for and stocking the vaccine moving forward. I bet both vaccines and all others get approval to be on formulary (meaning approved for use) at hospitals, but long-term the cheapest and easiest to manage is what’ll stay.

Also, as a side note, never waste money on brand name drugs. Always buy generics. That’s what health systems administer to patients and it’s 100% true that there’s zero difference, in terms of efficacy, between brand name and generic drugs. Whether it’s your allergy medication or something to control a serious condition, always, always purchase the generic and cheaper option.
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #6386
Mersh

Good new on the vaccine front. Have I missed how long they expect the vaccines to last (6 months, 1 year)? Obviously we may just be on wait and see there.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #6387
gweeps
homesick android

What a contrast.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #6388
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Now, if Johnson and Johnson can hit a home run. I think theirs is one shot and can be stored at regular temperatures.

Pfizerís wonít be obsolete. One because we bought a billion dollars worth, and two because we need to vaccinate billions of people. But, this is all tremendous news. Having two effective vaccines moves the entire timetable up.
I've got trust issues with Johnson & Johnson

That Talc baby powder, which they knew was cancerous, most likely gave thousands cancer and they continue to deny it, yet pay/settle out of court. Not sure I want to trust them with this vaccine. Luckily there are 2 promising looking alternatives.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #6389
Josh.0

But Gweeps, Trump got so many more retweets. Pretty interesting microcosm of why social media is so toxic, right there. Few care, relatively speaking, about the positive, non-inflammatory stuff.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #6390
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
What a contrast.

A great example of how an elected official should use twitter vs. Trump's unhinged aggressive approach.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #6391
mario

Since we have an Administration that has just completely abdicated it's responsibilities now, while also refusing to share information so that the Biden team can begin coordinating a distribution plan, I think all the timelines are basically thrown out the window.

I really didnít want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I donít feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu thatís not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that theyíre fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which theyíre supposed to be keeping as clean and ďuncompromisedĒ as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #6392
gweeps
homesick android

This is very sad. [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 11-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #6393
gweeps
homesick android

72 million people voted for this guy?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #6394
Josh.0

What a fucking maniac but the trolling is A+
Old 11-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #6395
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
What a fucking maniac but the trolling is A+
Right? Was he not President when the virus hit?

I know this is all just to froth up his base and annoy people like me, but man, it is annoying.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #6396
JimBeam41

Quote:
This is very sad. [Only registered users can see links.]
That is sad, i feel bad for these people
Old 11-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #6397
jeff1818

Quote:

72 million people voted for this guy?
I think he deserves an award. Thank you Mr. Trump for saving humanity!
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #6398
Josh.0

Nobel prize baby
Old 11-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #6399
batleon

Cool, so a better-than-expected vaccine is right around the corner BUT the virus is surging everywhere and we somehow have to survive until it gets distributed.

Anybody ever play Mario Party 9? My kids have been playing it. Right when you're about to make it to the end of the game board Bowser shows up and turns a bunch of the spaces into traps. That's what this feels like.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #6400
Josh.0

I dunno, I mean I’m very, very happy with the news (just forgetting about Trump’s rhetoric for a second). I read today that the measles vaccine’s efficacy is 97%, so if we’re at 95% for COVID-19, that’s unbelievably spectacular IMO.

Whatever the highest possible honor is on planet earth, if 95% bears out across the world’s population, the folks that worked to develop this vaccine in less than a year, with that efficacy, deserve such honors. This may be the greatest public health innovation/accomplishment (when you consider its speed, effectiveness, and the sheer scope of its need (worldwide))...since antibiotics?

Remember, this may also wipe out a sizable portion of common cold coronaviruses.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc