Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #61
Steveo Style

I think this is my favorite released Maker
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #62
Hopper

This may not be my favorite release from the band, but it may be the most important for me. In the summer of 2000 I saw DMB at Alpine, not really knowing anything about them besides the songs I heard on the radio. I went because some friends invited me, and it sounded like a good time. And it was. I was instantly a fan after 8.20.00.

After consuming all I could between then and the fall of 2001 (including LWS), I was off to college with a new favorite band. I got a job at an FYE (remember those?) as soon as I got to college. And a few weeks later I learned that this release was coming out. I was stoked. I remember unpacking the boxes of this CD when it came to our store, and I was so excited to buy. My manager wouldn’t let me take one home Monday night after work, because we couldn’t sell until the street day of Tuesday. He thought he’d get in trouble if I brought one home, even though I had the money, and all he had to do was ring it up first thing in the AM Tuesday.

Well, Tuesday morning rolls around and I skipped class to go get this as soon as the store opened. Now, let me be clear, even though I was still a new fan, I was still not sold on BTCS being as great as it was. So, I had low expectations for those tunes when I bought this.

But, as soon as I put disc 1 in my car and started driving, I was blown away by Last Stop. And the rest is history. And here I am 19 years later still bitching about setlists and such. Sorry for the long ramble, but this release still holds a place in my heart for that reason.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #63
Fan#41

That was a good read Brian.

I still remember watching the webcast live. I think I made it about 7 songs in which were tough to sit through because of internet connections back then. It kept buffering, pixelating, blacking out, etc... And of course because of the United Center's policy of Union workers, you had the camera operators who didn't really have any experience with DMB music and the shots were not great (extended shots of musicians not even playing, bizarre zoom ins and outs, etc...). But it was still really exciting because I was still in fandom infancy so everything was so new, fresh, interesting.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #64
SomeDevil17

Cool story! You guys actually liked Btcs when it came out? Wasn’t a lot of the feeling...wtf is this? Especially after crash?
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #65
Fan#41

For me personally, the only thing that left an initial bad taste in my mouth was Stay. It felt like such a corny song plus the use of back-up singers just seemed way out of place for a band like DMB at the time. I loved everything else. Some of the fanbase had mixed opinions because you have to remember the last single off of Crash was Tripping Billies, to go from that to DDTW was a HUGE shift in tone and mood and it didn't sit well with some people.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #66
South535

I remember listening to BTCS the first time... I was in high school and got a local record store to sell it to me a day early. I loved it all (especially the strings in the Stone, the piano touches in Crush... Dreaming tree was a mind blower). The back up singers did come off a little oddly, but it was a sign of a band changing in exciting ways. I tried to convince myself Halloween was good, while really I still think it’s the one miss on the album. I was so obsessed with the Recently EP version, I don’t think anything I’ve ever heard before or after touches it. Guitar, drums and vocals have so much on the live take they didn’t capture in the studio.
South535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #67
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Cool story! You guys actually liked Btcs when it came out? Wasn’t a lot of the feeling...wtf is this? Especially after crash?
I took to it INSTANTLY. Had never anything so great. I was 18, and a huge Beatles fan. I was floored the second I heard Don't Drink on the radio.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #68
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

what I remember about the first time I listened to BTCS was getting to and through the end of Rapunzel and thinking 'wow, that is amazing'. and then I also remember I really liked 'the Egyptian one' in my first listen
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #69
blumathu

If I recall correctly, I think the first time I heard Rapunzel was on the live at the 10 spot broadcast on MTV. That show set me up to absolutely love that album upon first listen. I thought Last Stop was broadcast as well but dmbalmanac says otherwise. I'm fairly sure I heard Last Stop somewhere before the album dropped though.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #70
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
If I recall correctly, I think the first time I heard Rapunzel was on the live at the 10 spot broadcast on MTV. That show set me up to absolutely love that album upon first listen. I thought Last Stop was broadcast as well but dmbalmanac says otherwise. I'm fairly sure I heard Last Stop somewhere before the album dropped though.
Last Stop was not on the 10 Spot.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #71
sean52692
You failed this band

I will be a semi dissenting voice on this Maker. I like it, but I think LT 3 and 11 are much better versions. Two great Roi solos. I also like the DMBLive one from 93. 1/27/93 I think with the Spotlight/Maker opening combo.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #72
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
This may not be my favorite release from the band, but it may be the most important for me. In the summer of 2000 I saw DMB at Alpine, not really knowing anything about them besides the songs I heard on the radio. I went because some friends invited me, and it sounded like a good time. And it was. I was instantly a fan after 8.20.00.

After consuming all I could between then and the fall of 2001 (including LWS), I was off to college with a new favorite band. I got a job at an FYE (remember those?) as soon as I got to college. And a few weeks later I learned that this release was coming out. I was stoked. I remember unpacking the boxes of this CD when it came to our store, and I was so excited to buy. My manager wouldn’t let me take one home Monday night after work, because we couldn’t sell until the street day of Tuesday. He thought he’d get in trouble if I brought one home, even though I had the money, and all he had to do was ring it up first thing in the AM Tuesday.

Well, Tuesday morning rolls around and I skipped class to go get this as soon as the store opened. Now, let me be clear, even though I was still a new fan, I was still not sold on BTCS being as great as it was. So, I had low expectations for those tunes when I bought this.

But, as soon as I put disc 1 in my car and started driving, I was blown away by Last Stop. And the rest is history. And here I am 19 years later still bitching about setlists and such. Sorry for the long ramble, but this release still holds a place in my heart for that reason.
I’ve been to 100+ DMB shows. 8/20/00 is the best show I’ve seen.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #73
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post
what I remember about the first time I listened to BTCS was getting to and through the end of Rapunzel and thinking 'wow, that is amazing'. and then I also remember I really liked 'the Egyptian one' in my first listen
Yeah, I can distinctly remember getting to the jam of Rapunzel and thinking to myself, “This is the best thing they’ve ever done.”
Old 12-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #74
dancetheham

Has anyone ever gone through and figured out definitively what else Boyd re-recorded for this release other than LIOG?
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #75
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancetheham View Post
Has anyone ever gone through and figured out definitively what else Boyd re-recorded for this release other than LIOG?
How embarrassing. Imagine being called back in the studio to fix your parts because they weren’t good enough to the public.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #76
NiCK (Crush)

I always thought it was just LIOG - would love to know what else.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #77
rmattwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
How embarrassing. Imagine being called back in the studio to fix your parts because they weren’t good enough to the public.
I just want to know why they muted Stefan's bass intro on Crash on the live release.
It's right here by the fire where the answers lie
rmattwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #78
hieb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancetheham View Post
Aside from the fake Fenway crowd noise, is LIC the only release that we know to have over dubs?
hieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #79
SomeDevil17

Didn't they do something on the Atlantic City release?
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #80
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieb View Post
Aside from the fake Fenway crowd noise, is LIC the only release that we know to have over dubs?
Brixton 2009 - Tim’s “Heartbreaker” interpolation on ASTB is dubbed over with repeated strumming. They also cut the Stairway outro.

Citi Field - I’m pretty sure there was an interpolation in Proudest Monkey that got replaced.

There’s an Ants on Piedmont or Folsom (can’t remember) where there’s a cut of some kind.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc