These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #17621
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greppson View Post
listening to away from the world this morning, this album holds up really well. lot more complexity in some songs than i remembered.

shame they stopped playing the riff, that song is a beast.
The Riff is weird. It's got good lyrics and some awful lyrics in a short little song. Kinda emblematic of the band as a whole for the last decade if you really think about it.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #17622
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
The Riff is weird. It's got good lyrics and some awful lyrics in a short little song. Kinda emblematic of the band as a whole for the last decade if you really think about it.
Yeah. Some days I really feel this tune out of no where. Other days I can't believe there are days when it sounds good to me. A weird one
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #17623
gweeps
homesick android

I love when a song isn't simply exciting to listen to but also evokes a specific mood. The Riff is one of those. Puts me in a wistful state.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #17624
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
How Two Step would tax Carter more than Saybye and Last Stop I have no idea. And Two Step has been super short and segue-ey this year.
Just the amount of energy that he puts into it. Plus the over the top cymbal crossovers and double bass contributes as well.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #17625
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Sitting by a fire at the gfs parents house in this little town outside Boulder. Jazz festival across the street with Jeff coffin headlining tonight.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #17626
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Sitting by a fire at the gfs parents house in this little town outside Boulder. Jazz festival across the street with Jeff coffin headlining tonight.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #17627
dancetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
Dave is playing in Cuba again in November:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This show is actually in D.C. Another instance of jambands.com not fact-checking before posting an article
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #17628
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Anybody remember Randall's '06?

N1 on #41, they Flecktones sauntered out mid-song. It was so weird.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #17629
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
And just like Broken Things, it dies right when you think the outro might be going somewhere. What a foolish decision not to include more music. Just look at BTCS - people seemed to really like one.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #17630
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post
Just the amount of energy that he puts into it. Plus the over the top cymbal crossovers and double bass contributes as well.
Yeah, I 100% think the reason Two Step got played so little this year is because Carter said, "guys, I can't fucking play that song anymore."
Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #17631
greppson
Hmm...

Listening to LT1 this morning along with a couple WH disc tracks and god damnit 1998-2000 was really something special with this band. So refreshing to listen to those and hear Butch in the background compared to how the band sounds now. Wow.

greppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #17632
celluloid hero

Quote:
I'm surprised they played it Gorge N2. Recently they've only been playing it when they've had off the next day. Giving credence to the theory that it really does tax Carter and he needs to recover from it, especially with Halloween afterwards.
I don't know. I think Two Step is at "weekend closer" status at this point. Sort of like when Thank You was closing two night stands, not the first night.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #17633
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I don't know. I think Two Step is at "weekend closer" status at this point. Sort of like when Thank You was closing two night stands, not the first night.
I still think that the reason they only play it before a break isn't just a coincidence and does have some sort of significance.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #17634
celluloid hero

Quote:
I still think that the reason they only play it before a break isn't just a coincidence and does have some sort of significance.
I agree it's not a coincidence. We just disagree on what that significance is :-). Two Step at this point is in the same slot that Halloween was in 2012. It's a night two song, not a night one.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #17635
patsfan39

Quote:
I agree it's not a coincidence. We just disagree on what that significance is :-). Two Step at this point is in the same slot that Halloween was in 2012. It's a night two song, not a night one.
Except for when i bought tickets to Mansfield N1 and SPAC N2 (back to back stands) and missed both Halloween and Minarets at each stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #17636
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Except for when i bought tickets to Mansfield N1 and SPAC N2 (back to back stands) and missed both Halloween and Minarets at each stop.
Well, it's obviously not a law. But every tour you can put shows into categories and have a decent idea of what you have a chance for:

single night A (Tuesday / Friday)
single night B (Wednesday / Saturday)
multi-night 1
multi-night 2

Usually random 1 night falls into single night A.

It's been this way for a long time, at least since 2006. A song can be played anywhere, but for a song like Halloween, you might have a 10% chance of single A and multi 1, 25% for single B and 50% for multi 2. Then obviously if it's played night 1, then it reduces for night 2. It changes from tour to tour. Everybody knows when tour dates come out that if their city is a Wednesday after Tuesday, there's a better chance of a good show because all your standards like Seven are single night A songs. Then the songs that they don't play often enough to have a pattern (aka - the songs we like), there are 3 or 4 open spots per show for random ones Dave thinks of once he "gets his shit in" that you can't predict. Things like random Lovers, or Typicals.

Songs just fit this pattern a lot. You can play the odds, but obviously nothing is set in stone. I think Two Step is currently a multi-night 2 song because that's its pattern. I don't think there's more to it than that.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #17637
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by greppson View Post
Listening to LT1 this morning along with a couple WH disc tracks and god damnit 1998-2000 was really something special with this band. So refreshing to listen to those and hear Butch in the background compared to how the band sounds now. Wow.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #17638
celluloid hero

It's usually about 5 minutes into Seek Up that I'm reminded that LT1 is my favorite DMB show ever.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #17639
Fan#41

Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #17640
patsfan39

Quote:
Well, it's obviously not a law. But every tour you can put shows into categories and have a decent idea of what you have a chance for:

single night A (Tuesday / Friday)
single night B (Wednesday / Saturday)
multi-night 1
multi-night 2

Usually random 1 night falls into single night A.

It's been this way for a long time, at least since 2006. A song can be played anywhere, but for a song like Halloween, you might have a 10% chance of single A and multi 1, 25% for single B and 50% for multi 2. Then obviously if it's played night 1, then it reduces for night 2. It changes from tour to tour. Everybody knows when tour dates come out that if their city is a Wednesday after Tuesday, there's a better chance of a good show because all your standards like Seven are single night A songs. Then the songs that they don't play often enough to have a pattern (aka - the songs we like), there are 3 or 4 open spots per show for random ones Dave thinks of once he "gets his shit in" that you can't predict. Things like random Lovers, or Typicals.

Songs just fit this pattern a lot. You can play the odds, but obviously nothing is set in stone. I think Two Step is currently a multi-night 2 song because that's its pattern. I don't think there's more to it than that.
I have no idea what any of this means.

But I was just bitching that this band isnt totally predictable. Also happened to me this year with Last Stop. I went to Mansfield, Hartford, and both NH shows. 0 Last stop. But it was played at every 2 night stand after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc