These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #27581
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
I found this yesterday on a drive I had it saved too.
Can't get it to open as it is a .rar
Going to have it see what I need to uncompress it on Mac but recall listening to it before, it was decent quality if I recall
I use the Unarchiver app on Mac for .rar/other strange files and it works perfectly
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #27582
willndmb
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6743 View Post
I use the Unarchiver app on Mac for .rar/other strange files and it works perfectly
thanks
that's exactly what I had on my older comp, still works perfect
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:15 PM   #27583
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 28,034
Dave’s beard is robust

[Only registered users can see links.]
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #27584
Define Dancing
 
Define Dancing's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,381
Super random appreciation post for Stefan's bass line in Ants. Discovered this bass cover today, and it reminded me of the many, many reasons why this is my favorite DMB song (and one of my favorite songs of all-time). Fonz's bass work gets lost in a lot of the other glossier elements of the song, like the violin and soprano, but this such an underrated aspect of the song. Can't get this bass line out of my head.

__________________
"Poetry must be at least as powerful as music, but I am not sure that is possible." - George Oppen
Define Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #27585
willndmb
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Define Dancing View Post
Super random appreciation post for Stefan's bass line in Ants. Discovered this bass cover today, and it reminded me of the many, many reasons why this is my favorite DMB song (and one of my favorite songs of all-time). Fonz's bass work gets lost in a lot of the other glossier elements of the song, like the violin and soprano, but this such an underrated aspect of the song. Can't get this bass line out of my head.

cool

I wish I could hear more of Fonz stuff.
He adds a lot of details you can't normally pick up on
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:23 PM   #27586
SomeDevil17
 
SomeDevil17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,671
What’s with all the masks on that dudes wall?
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #27587
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren
 
Thor2531's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
What’s with all the masks on that dudes wall?
Everyone has a thing. I wait till my wife and kids go to bed then beat off to VR porn on my 10 year olds Oculus Quest. It is what it is.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #27588
SomeDevil17
 
SomeDevil17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,671
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #27589
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,624
This is perhaps a dumb question, but something ive always wondered. Why doesnt Dave have an Amp stack on stage? Boyd even used to have one I believe. Does Dave just plug right into the PA? Why didnt boyd because he sometimes used a wah pedal? I have a very minor working knowledge of how guitars and Amps work but ive always wondered this.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #27590
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2531 View Post
Everyone has a thing. I wait till my wife and kids go to bed then beat off to VR porn on my 10 year olds Oculus Quest. It is what it is.
LOL
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #27591
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
This is perhaps a dumb question, but something ive always wondered. Why doesnt Dave have an Amp stack on stage? Boyd even used to have one I believe. Does Dave just plug right into the PA? Why didnt boyd because he sometimes used a wah pedal? I have a very minor working knowledge of how guitars and Amps work but ive always wondered this.
I don't think Dave has used a pedal in his life lol
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #27592
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,624
right but i didnt say anything about dave using one. I said Boyd used the wah pedal (for everyday).
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #27593
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
right but i didnt say anything about dave using one. I said Boyd used the wah pedal (for everyday).
I know, just kidding.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #27594
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,775
Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread (DMBc Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
This is perhaps a dumb question, but something ive always wondered. Why doesnt Dave have an Amp stack on stage? Boyd even used to have one I believe. Does Dave just plug right into the PA? Why didnt boyd because he sometimes used a wah pedal? I have a very minor working knowledge of how guitars and Amps work but ive always wondered this.
Not a dumb question. There a million different and interesting ways that signal flow is organized in different settings/productions but here’s the skinny:

Dave’s acoustics are on wireless packs that communicate with the receivers and subsequently the snakehead at monitor-world. Isolated/independent signal is then distributed to the monitor console, the front-of-house mix position, and a recording rig (and likely other places, but that’s the basic signal flow): this allows each location to have its own independent control of the same source while not affecting the other positions.

The electric guitars are also on wireless packs whose signal hits the receiver and then gets sent to a custom roadcase in which an amp and the microphones are installed: this creates isolation and allows the amp to live wherever is most convenient backstage. The mic signal from those amps is then sent to the snakehead and distributed.

In the old days, his guitars were connected with an instrument cable to the rack that lived in front of Carter where they hit a DI (Direct Input/Direct Box) went through some processing in the rack, and the output of the rack hit the snakehead and got distributed.

Boyd’s rig likely lived onstage for additional monitoring and proximity to his effects pedals and whatnot, though that is conjecture on my part.

There is a lot more cool signal flow, processing, and configuration that goes into a setup of this kind and I could ramble all day, but does that satisfy the curiosity?

Last edited by Jayes; 01-10-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #27595
SomeDevil17
 
SomeDevil17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,671
I won’t give it away came on randomly the other day. Always thought that was a cool little tune. Surprised it was totally forgotten.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #27596
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Not a dumb question. There a million different and interesting ways that signal flow is organized in different settings/productions but here’s the skinny:

Dave’s acoustics are on wireless packs that communicate with the receivers and subsequently the snakehead at monitor-world. Isolated/independent signal is then distributed to the monitor console, the front-of-house mix position, and a recording rig (and likely other places, but that’s the basic signal flow): this allows each location to have its own independent control of the same source while not affecting the other positions.

The electric guitars are also on wireless packs whose signal hits the receiver and then gets sent to a custom roadcase in which an amp and the microphones are installed: this creates isolation and allows the amp to live wherever is most convenient backstage. The mic signal from those amps is then sent to the snakehead and distributed.

In the old days, his guitars were connected with an instrument cable to the rack that lived in front of Carter where they hit a DI (Direct Input/Direct Box) went through some processing in the rack, and the output of the rack hit the snakehead and got distributed.

Boyd’s rig likely lived onstage for additional monitoring and proximity to his effects pedals and whatnot, though that is conjecture on my part.

There is a lot more cool signal flow, processing, and configuration that goes into a setup of this kind and I could ramble all day, but does that satisfy the curiosity?
This is fantastic. Thank you so much! Just to be sure i understand. Dave has a wireless pack on his guitars that connects to two different things: the acoustic is directly to the monitor world/the rack (btw what is that is it essentially a mixing board backstage?) and an amp which is mic'd backstage or something (electric). Is that right? So if you dumb it way down, he basically plugs his acoustic directly into the PA through a series of channels?

I know Dave's mic sometimes has effects going through it (reverb etc.) but for some reason its always been funny to me that he has someone else just handle that. I feel like most musicians are super particular about that. Dave must have a ton of comfort with his 'guys'.

I guess now Im also curious how did you figure this setup out? Is it just a standard setup in the industry? I feel like Craig or even maybe Monk did a video online a few years back showing Dave's rig, but i thought it was mostly just going through his different guitars.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #27597
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,775
Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread (DMBc Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
This is fantastic. Thank you so much! Just to be sure i understand. Dave has a wireless pack on his guitars that connects to two different things: the acoustic is directly to the monitor world/the rack (btw what is that is it essentially a mixing board backstage?) and an amp which is mic'd backstage or something (electric). Is that right? So if you dumb it way down, he basically plugs his acoustic directly into the PA through a series of channels?

I know Dave's mic sometimes has effects going through it (reverb etc.) but for some reason its always been funny to me that he has someone else just handle that. I feel like most musicians are super particular about that. Dave must have a ton of comfort with his 'guys'.

I guess now Im also curious how did you figure this setup out? Is it just a standard setup in the industry? I feel like Craig or even maybe Monk did a video online a few years back showing Dave's rig, but i thought it was mostly just going through his different guitars.
There is an awful lot to unpack here and detail that might not be relevant to your interests, so I'll try to make it easy.

Monitor world is essentially where everything audio terminates. It contains any number of different pieces of gear and such, but the basic components are a snakehead (where all of the audio inputs get plugged in and split/distributed) and a mixing console (soundboard) that controls all of the onstage monitor mixes for each musician and distributes to peripheral backstage areas. Ian Kuhn stands at the monitor console (with support staff) and mixes everything that the band hears. Jeff Thomas stands at a different console out in the crowd at front-of-house (FOH) and mixes everything the audience hears. Lawlor (or a technician) stands at a computer (possibly even another console further upstage or offstage) and records the show.

The snakehead (where EVERYTHING audio onstage gets plugged in) is a giant multi-channel "box" that has the ability to send isolated/independent versions of each source channel to multiple locations. Jeff (Bagby) gets his own set of channels that he can control to mix the show out front for the crowd that doesn't affect any other positions, Ian gets his own identical but independent set at monitor world to mix for the band and backstage areas, and Lawlor (or whoever) gets his own independent set to multitrack record the show. As I said, this can be split a number of other times to other places as well. Power distribution for the entire audio side of the production usually lives here as well, although not a rule. The return channels (signals) from FOH likely return to monitor-world and are distributed to the many many other amp racks that drive the main PA speakers/subs.

If you look at Dave's back onstage, you'll notice a wireless pack that is fixed to his guitar strap. The guitar plugs directly into that. Each guitar has its own pack, and therefore, its own dedicated wireless channel. This talks to its corresponding wireless receiver at monitor world. All of the receivers are connected to channels on the snakehead. The outputs of the Electric guitar wireless receivers are sent to the aforementioned amp boxes before the snakehead, and the mics in the isolated amp boxes are then plugged into the appropriate snake channels. So the Electric guitars are sent through an amp backstage first, and the Acoustic guitars are directly input into the snakehead from the wireless receivers. This same concept rings true for the other band members, albeit with different vehicles/processing/gear. At any rate, everything onstage is plugged into the snakehead that then distributes all of the channels to the other positions.

While any number of outboard processing may be used, much of the effects (reverb/delay/chorus/pitch-correction/dynamics/EQ/list goes on and on) can be implemented on the digital soundboards of today (they WERE using Avid Venue Profile Consoles but I'd imagine they've since adopted the S6L). So if you hear reverb on Dave's voice or guitar, for instance, it's most likely being added by Bagby at front-of-house (FOH): many of these “global” effects are left to the discretion of the FOH engineer (vocal verb/delay/processing, blending of various instrument effects, whathaveyou). Same for the other band channels. The band members can also ask for these effects and channels in their in-ear-monitors backstage, where Ian's console (and gains and effects, etc) can be added independently. I (and many others) use the reverb tails and a touch of delay in my IEMs to aid intonation and atmosphere.

While there is some footage out there of DMB's technical rig, there are a multitude of different ways to achieve this very basic explanation of signal-flow, and not only does this band adapt for different kinds of productions, the rest of the industry is also employing this basic structure (with so many variables as noted but not limited to the above).

Last edited by Jayes; 01-10-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #27598
hieb
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
The snakehead (where EVERYTHING audio onstage gets plugged in) is a giant multi-channel "box" that has the ability to send isolated/independent versions of each source channel to multiple locations. Jeff (Bagby) gets his own set of channels that he can control to mix the show out front for the crowd that doesn't affect any other positions, Ian gets his own identical but independent set at monitor world to mix for the band and backstage areas, and Lawlor (or whoever) gets his own independent set to multitrack record the show.
As the FOH mix is done independently of the IEM mix, is it a safe assumption that Boyd, and perhaps other band members, had no idea the violin was being muted / buried in the FOH mix?
hieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #27599
somf4eva
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,971
I was thinking about this while I was on a run today...

Does anyone know which show might have been prevelant in the early days of limewire/kazaa? Before I learned how to B&P, I downloaded a show and it was all I had. It kept me going for a while! The only thing I can remember is the two step..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
The band is just jerking off on our faces right now...and I am proud to be a dirty whore.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #27600
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieb View Post
As the FOH mix is done independently of the IEM mix, is it a safe assumption that Boyd, and perhaps other band members, had no idea the violin was being muted / buried in the FOH mix?

Certainly possible, but I personally think a select few were clued in/encouraged it
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.13621 seconds with 14 queries