These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #26621
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
It’s a possible interpretation but I took the comment to mean more that Steve was inserting his ego into the process to much. Stefan is saying “it’s the 5 of us, not DMB+Steve”. However, after thinking about it I can see how he’s saying ~you came back to the studio after too much partying and insulted us saying it’s Dave’s band and we are just along for the ride~ or something like that.

I also think Stefan saying he was just a fly on the wall and Steve being surprised it was Stefan he was arguing with indicates to me he really was just along for the ride. The beef was with dave and carter and LeRoi. Stefan obviously sided with them at the time and now he’s finally feeling he has his own voice so he’s bringing it back up with his new found platform and confidence.

If Lillywhite really thought it was Dave’s band, he could have just had Dave write the songs and given the rest of them charts.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:49 PM   #26622
Monk
Moore Soul

Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread (DMBc Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Everyday was their most successful album in terms of sales (I think) and they were on TRL in 2001. We don’t like it but they clearly had a different idea of what success was for them.

Everyday made huge profits, but was also a huge change in their musical process and style. That stinks of a push from the record. There’s a reason they look like a boy band on the cover. For Stefan to pretend Flohr had nothing to do with the direction change is naive.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #26623
NiCK (Crush)

Stefan can (and should) defend Everyday all he wants - but he knows what's up. He knows it's not Before These Crowded Streets.

But that doesn't mean he can't love it.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:21 AM   #26624
ThememanXX

Sounds like the straw that broke the camel’s back was that Steve invited a few ladies to the studio and said “meet Dave and the band,” which Carter and Roi took as “meet Dave and his band,” and they rallied to have Bruce Flohr fire Steve. Yikes.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:31 AM   #26625
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Sounds like the straw that broke the camel’s back was that Steve invited a few ladies to the studio and said “meet Dave and the band,” which Carter and Roi took as “meet Dave and his band,” and they rallied to have Bruce Flohr fire Steve. Yikes.
That would be pretty petty if that was the case but I am sure as you mentioned, it was maybe the last thing that made them "mutiny". Steve comes across as a bit of a prick, so I can see how they were over him, even though is a brilliant producer.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #26626
CRUSHsoccer15

Somehow missed that my WH membership expired. Oops.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #26627
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Everyday was their most successful album in terms of sales (I think) and they were on TRL in 2001. We don’t like it but they clearly had a different idea of what success was for them.
But that had nothing to do with the music. It just had to do with Everyday being the album dmb released at that time. They were the biggest band in the country. Whatever album they released at that point would have been just as successful. And I would argue releasing LWS would have led to greater long term success.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #26628
soright05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
But that had nothing to do with the music. It just had to do with Everyday being the album dmb released at that time. They were the biggest band in the country. Whatever album they released at that point would have been just as successful. And I would argue releasing LWS would have led to greater long term success.
spot on.
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #26629
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
Steve comes across as a bit of a prick, so I can see how they were over him, even though is a brilliant producer.
I think Steve is the type of person that is not happy with good enough. He is the type that will do 100 takes just to get it perfect. At some level he may be a perfectionist, but I think he is passionate about his job and wants to create a listening experience that makes any band he is producing shine as best as they can on the album. He is trying to draw out all of a bands potential and not settle for something he knows they can do better.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #26630
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I never said anything to oppose that. We all think that is true. Im saying the band didnt see it that way then, and certainly does not now. They just have a different mindset of what they think is success.

And I would assume most of the success from Everyday were people buying it because they expected another BTCS/LWS type album.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #26631
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I still remember listening to I Did It for the first time and just laughing. Thinking, “wtf, this has to somehow be a joke.”

Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #26632
scottbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Stefan is still going at it.

Is the Scott brown he’s getting into it the taper Scott Brown?
hell no
scottbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #26633
bassplayer22

Did LWS leak before or after Everyday came out? I wasnt around any fan communities back then and dont recall timeline.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #26634
Bluewater34
Is Old

Shortly after.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #26635
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeedog View Post
I think Steve is the type of person that is not happy with good enough. He is the type that will do 100 takes just to get it perfect. At some level he may be a perfectionist, but I think he is passionate about his job and wants to create a listening experience that makes any band he is producing shine as best as they can on the album. He is trying to draw out all of a bands potential and not settle for something he knows they can do better.
Oh I agree 100%. I don't think this band was in the mindset of perfection after BTCS clearly took a toll on them. Things started getting hard for them, so in my mind, they took the easy route, came in read some sheet music and called it a day. Busted Stuff wasn't really a struggle for them either, writing 2 new songs and pushing this thing out a little over a year after ED.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #26636
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrown View Post
hell no
I cant tell you how glad i am to see this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #26637
JimBeam41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrown View Post
hell no
i thought for sure that was you arguing with him
Old 05-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #26638
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
i thought for sure that was you arguing with him
More likely the former Senator from the state of Massachusetts.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #26639
.Gary.

ED felt like a collective DMB related troll when it first dropped, especially IDI.

The LWS were a reprieve but it wasn't until Spring of '02 when the band started to right those wrongs.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #26640
ThememanXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
That would be pretty petty if that was the case but I am sure as you mentioned, it was maybe the last thing that made them "mutiny". Steve comes across as a bit of a prick, so I can see how they were over him, even though is a brilliant producer.
Yeah, I feel like it'd been brewing, and with Dave in a "dark place," Steve drinking heavily (which is implied by Stefan,) the band not liking the studio to begin with....it all blew up from one little spark.

I think so far, my biggest takeaway is that Bruce Flohr may have been a bit of a scapegoat. If Carter & Roi were that unhappy with Lillywhite, they may have told Flohr to say and do anything to be rid of him, hence the "where's the Tripping Billies?"
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc