These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #1501
ggies
Sugar Will '04

One of the better vids I've seen out there showing the Beta FSD. The visuals on the screen showing what the computer sees are amazing.

Last edited by ggies; 11-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.
ggies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #1502
ggies
Sugar Will '04

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
"Investors who joined Volkswagen AG’s annual spending update this week may have wondered whether they had the dial-in details right. Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess was there to explain how VW will deploy its massive 150 billion-euro ($178 billion) investment budget over the next five years, but he spent much of the time talking about another carmaker based thousands of miles away in California.

Tesla Inc. was mentioned 31 times by management and analysts during the near two-hour presentation. That’s how much Elon Musk’s electric-car venture is occupying VW’s minds these days, and those of its investors."
Old 11-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #1503
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So since this year is different due to COVID, we did not see our family for Thanksgiving and decided to take a trip to a cabin around Asheville, NC.

From Dallas to Asheville I drove with Autopilot on for 85% of the time and it was wonderful. The other 15% my wife drove without it on as she is not comfortable with it yet. Autopilot allowed me to relax, yet being attentive enough to be aware of my surroundings.

Autopilot is really just for highways, whereas FSD is for highways AND streets. Here is a nice new video showing improvements to the Beta version that was released and is supposed to be going out to a wider audience in about 2 weeks.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #1504
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Great article.

Quote:
The reason so much attention is given to peak oil is that it can be a turning point from a market where oil is scarce to one where there’s more cheap crude than people know what to do with. The risk of investing in new oil supplies increases. Investors pull back. Political power wanes.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #1505
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Impressive to watch the system learn and then re-route itself away from the deer.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #1506
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Not good...

Quote:

Scott Duncan
@ScottDuncanWX

November 2020 was the hottest November on record globally but the Northern Hemisphere smashed its November record by a country mile (+ 0.4 °C).

NASA data (just in) suggesting it is more than likely that 2020 to break or tie as Earth's warmest year.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #1507
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Will be interesting to see how humanity will try and morph as the planet's climate shifts...of course we won't be here to witness it by 2100.

I hope to live at least until I'm 80, which puts the year at 2064. My daughter will live to hopefully at least 80 as well, putting her at 2090.

My grandchildren/great grandchildren will be living in a completely different world....

Quote:
A great transformation is underway in the eastern half of Russia. For centuries the vast majority of the land has been impossible to farm; only the southernmost stretches along the Chinese and Mongolian borders, including around Dimitrovo, have been temperate enough to offer workable soil. But as the climate has begun to warm, the land — and the prospect for cultivating it — has begun to improve. Twenty years ago, Dima says, the spring thaw came in May, but now the ground is bare by April; rainstorms now come stronger and wetter. Across Eastern Russia, wild forests, swamps and grasslands are slowly being transformed into orderly grids of soybeans, corn and wheat. It’s a process that is likely to accelerate: Russia hopes to seize on the warming temperatures and longer growing seasons brought by climate change to refashion itself as one of the planet’s largest producers of food.

This could present an extraordinary opportunity for the world’s northernmost nations — but only if they figure out how to stem their own population decline while accommodating at least some of a monumental population push at their borders. Take, for example, Canada: It is flush with land as well as timber, oil, gas and hydropower, and it has access to 20 percent of the world’s fresh water. It has a stable, incorrupt democracy. And as the climate warms, Canada will move into the ecological sweet spot for civilization, benefiting from new Arctic transportation routes as well as an expanded capacity for farming. But there are only 38 million people in Canada, and Canadians are dying at a faster rate than they are being born. Burke’s research suggests climate change will, by 2100, make Canadians two and a half times richer in terms of per capita G.D.P. than they would be if the planet were not warming. Canada may be able to seize that opportunity only if it welcomes a lot more people.

Russia has been explicit about its intention to come out ahead as the climate changes; in its national action plan on climate released in January, it called on the country to “use the advantages” of warming and listed Arctic shipping and extended growing seasons among things that would shower “additional benefits” on the nation. Russia may be no better positioned, politically speaking, to welcome large numbers of migrants than the U.S. or Canada; in fact, xenophobia is probably even more prevalent there. But how it tackles migration and its own demographic challenges will have tremendous consequences for the U.S. and the rest of the world. Russia has always wanted to populate its vast eastern lands, and the steady thawing there puts that long-sought goal within reach. Achieving it could significantly increase Russia’s prosperity and power in the process, through the opening of tens of millions of acres of land and a flourishing new agricultural economy.

In late October I spoke on a video call with Sergei Karaganov, founder of Russia’s Council on Foreign and Defense Policy and an influential adviser to Russian presidents, including Putin. Karaganov, who is normally pictured in suit and tie but who also describes himself as a hunter, sat in the pine-walled dining room of his dacha an hour and a half outside Moscow, where he was isolating to avoid Covid-19. Behind him an enormous bear skin was stretched out on the wall next to the bust of a six-point elk. Russia needs so much labor in the east, he told me, that it has even contemplated flying workers in from India: “We think about the lower hundreds of thousands.”

There is an underlying sense, though, that sooner or later there will be more human capital available than Russia knows what to do with. Asian Russia sits atop a continent with the largest global population, including not just the Chinese but also nearly two billion South Asians — from the flooding Mekong Delta and Bangladesh to the sweltering plains of India — many of whom will inevitably be pushing northward in search of space and resources as the climate gets hotter and sea levels continue to rise. Russia is “not willing to bring in too many Chinese,” Karaganov said. “But when it comes, it will come from there and Central Asia, the Caucuses. This is a problem, but it could be the greatest opportunity.”
Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #1508
ggies
Sugar Will '04

BNEF's latest survey is out. Last year they thought it was going to be 2024, but they've knocked a year off this time. Improvements are happening quicker than the industry thinks....

Old 12-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #1509
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I've never taken my eye off the ball. Never. If you do the research, then you understand.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #1510
somf4eva

I will be looking for a car in about 3-5 years (I wish it was now). I really want a Tesla but I don't think I make quite enough to buy one. I spent about 20k on my last car.

Is a Tesla something I could afford? I see that the 2020 Model 3 comes in at almost 40k. How does that cost offset no longer paying for gas over the course of owning the vehicle. How do the upkeep costs compare with something like my Honda Accord?

Perhaps there is a video you could point me to?
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #1511
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Firstly, awesome to hear. Once you go electric, you'll never go back.

Secondly, things are going to change so much in 3-5 years. Tesla's Battery Day showed how things are progressing faster than most thought. By then, you should be able to find some nice used ones on the market if you do not like buying brand new. There's a great group on FB for finding used Teslas - Teslas For Sale By Owner.

Thirdly, I'm not some well-to-do guy that can just drop 45k on a brand new car....buying my Model 3 took a lot of hard work; I've only ever had hand-me-down Honda Accords from my grandparents. I saved for three years, basically putting every extra penny I had to it. I sacrificed a lot - barely bought any new clothes, no vacations, pulled back on eating out, etc...but it meant a lot for me to switch to driving electric, so I did what I had to.

Fourthly, here is an article that came out last year showing the Model 3 cost of ownership. Some of the stats may be a little different now since things have improved/changed, but you get the idea.

I drive 63 miles round trip for work and then we like to get out on the weekends, so I'm savings 1k a year on gas. For the average driver though, you save around $750 a year on gas. It's an electric car, so there's no other maintenance besides tires and windshield wipers. The car should last anywhere from 300k to 500k miles depending on driving and I plan to give it to my daughter when she turns 16 in 6 years.

Last edited by ggies; 12-20-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #1512
somf4eva

thanks for the response. that is encouraging. I didn't realize they were lasting that long. Is there a site that give good reports like the one you posted?
Old 12-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #1513
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
thanks for the response. that is encouraging. I didn't realize they were lasting that long. Is there a site that give good reports like the one you posted?
Welcome. Yeah, the drivetrain is actually supposed to last a million miles and it's the battery that is 300k to 500k.

Hmm....not sure. What kind of info are you looking for?
Old 12-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #1514
somf4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Welcome. Yeah, the drivetrain is actually supposed to last a million miles and it's the battery that is 300k to 500k.

Hmm....not sure. What kind of info are you looking for?
Thinking about cost comparisons and how they change over time, improved battery capacity... looking for a central location on how it is becoming a more viable option
Old 12-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #1515
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
Thinking about cost comparisons and how they change over time, improved battery capacity... looking for a central location on how it is becoming a more viable option
ah, I see. It's only going to get better as the years go on. If you are looking at getting a Tesla in 3-5 years, then they will have the better 4680 cell over the 2170 in my car today....and the 2170 cell is damn good. This will allow for longer range and should reduce the cost of the car as long as the company doesn't want to keep a high margin on them.

That article is the best I've seen in the media. There's really no "central" site I know of that has comparisons...just random articles throughout the past 2 years from different sites - Electrek, Teslarati, cleantechnica.

Last edited by ggies; 01-12-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #1516
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Old 01-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #1517
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I don't post every vid I watch, but this is an important one. For those they can't buy the FSD package upfront, Tesla is supposed to start a monthly subscription for FSD early this year.

Tesla Autopilot FSD San Francisco to Los Angeles with Zero Interventions

Old 01-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #1518
ggies
Sugar Will '04

To all the media FUD over the years and to all the naysayers (and the one user who used to post it in this thread) - here - now take your lumps like a man.

That article with the bold headline is from 2014.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #1519
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I remember reading years ago that the most important thing with the transition to a renewable way of life would be the software that controls all the DERs.

Here is a great example of a small project that shows the importance of it.

Quote:
The concept and core technology for the autonomous energy grid are being developed by our team at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, in Golden, Colo. Since 2018, NREL and local utility Holy Cross Energy have been putting the concept into practice, starting with the construction of the first four houses in Basalt Vista. Each home has an 8-kilowatt rooftop PV system with lithium iron phosphate storage batteries, as well as energy-efficient, all-electric heating, cooling, water heaters, and appliances. All of those assets are monitored and can be controlled by the AEG. So far, average utility bills have been about 85 percent lower than typical electric bills for Colorado.
Quote:
The result is that energy generated within an AEG is used more efficiently—it’s either consumed immediately or stored. Over time, the operator will have to invest less in building, operating, and maintaining larger generators—including costly “peaker” plants that are used only when demand is unusually high.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #1520
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
the ad, which will debut this week in the swing states of Arizona, North Carolina and Wisconsin, is one of the most sophisticated and well-funded efforts to spread the word on the urgency of climate change in a decade.
Quote:
“Those of us who understand climate change are disappointed by gridlock on the issue,” said Emily Fischer, a climate scientist at Colorado State University, who narrated the 90-second spot featuring her daughters enjoying the outdoors. “The goal of Science Moms is to push through that — to reach directly to mothers and let them know this is a threat to their kids. The kids they make sandwiches for, the kids who crawl into their beds at night, the kids who drive them crazy sometimes. To those kids. Not someone else’s kids.”
"From the second you have a child, you want to do everything you can to protect them. I think our action on climate change is no different, it's just an extension of being a mom. Being a scientist, it's really important that we advocate for science based decision making."

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc