These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #821
mja271

Some glaring omissions (tho that's always gonna happen) but HOF album looks pretty tight. These are always a good listen for people who want a taste of the improv highlights but don't regularly follow and listen to the shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 PM   #822
Fan#41

Agreed. That Nemo is pretty baller though. Can't wait for tomorrow night.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #823
mja271

I requested Robot World to Joel for my 50th last night and got it. That was sweet. Show was a great time.
Quote:
Old 06-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #824
Fan#41

That was one of the best shows I've seen from them. Every year Brendan's vocals get better and better. Crowd didn't seem as hyped as usual during the first set until Floor and the band had to coax them a few times, but I thought they were murdering every performance. And holy crap that second set...a few moments I felt like I was back at the Nokia in '07. Crowd really amped up during DBK. That 20 minute set break was pretty weak though.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #825
sean52692
You failed this band

Random: did The Bort close down?
Old 11-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #826
mja271

Yea. There’s a new one (the-bort.com) but it’s not super active. Unfortunately a lot of UM discussion is relegated to a DMB Family-esque Facebook group
Quote:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #827
sean52692
You failed this band

Dang. Hate seeing message boards like that go by the wayside. I used to love getting show recs on The Bort.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:10 AM   #828
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Dang. Hate seeing message boards like that go by the wayside. I used to love getting show recs on The Bort.
Sean just a heads up, The Bort recently got revitalized and through the whole COVID fiasco has actually gained a good bit of traction. It's pretty active right now, so if you were looking for some recs or whatnot you should check it out.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Quote:
Old 12-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #829
Fan#41

After their Halloween show in Boston a few years ago, supposedly the band wanted to come back at some point for a NYE run. Hopefully that will happen someday.

Anyway, I believe tonight Umphrey's is replaying their 2010 NYE show [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 01-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #830
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
After their Halloween show in Boston a few years ago, supposedly the band wanted to come back at some point for a NYE run. Hopefully that will happen someday.

Anyway, I believe tonight Umphrey's is replaying their 2010 NYE show [Only registered users can see links.]
The UM rumor mill was saying this year was supposed to be Miami.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #831
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post

I would love that, but I dont know if it will ever happen unless the concert venue landscape changes in Boston (all of this is assuming things go back to normal after COVID is cleared). Joel has made public comments about Boston being tough for them to book and they dont like the management at the HOB. Supposedly that Halloween weekend was full of issues for them (as well as the fans). The issues on the band side were electrical, in that the venue wouldnt provide them the necessary equipment to put on the show. That led to the sound cutting out during 1348 which caused a major uproar within the band (i believe). I am 90% confident in this information, its been a couple years since i heard the info so i may be misstating things a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #832
Fan#41

I think it was the Orpheum Theater, the Citi performance Arts Center (whatever it's called now), and the Wilbur Theater (twice Umphs tried booking a Brendan and Jake acoustic gig there) that they were having difficulty booking, not HOB. Hence the reason why HOB is the only indoor Boston venue they play now. I loved seeing them at the Orphuem back in I believe 2007. I know they love playing the Pavilion on the Water venue at the Seaport in the summer. I had not heard of any incident regarding HOB management, especially with equipment. Typically indoor venues like HOB have very basic "in-house" equipment that bands like Umphrey's wouldn't use anyway, unless it was something like a replacement amp cable? Even then, if HOB wouldn't provide them with one...that would affect more than just a bit of one song. I just find it hard to believe HOB would not provide Umphrey's with the equipment they needed, unless HOB didn't have access to said equipment Umphrey's required and it was miscommunication leading them (umphs) to believe they (HOB) wouldn't help when in reality they couldn't? That's usually how it goes. At any rate, in lieu of full set summer shows in Boston, Umphs chooses to do the Levitate fest. instead. Which is a shame as I would much rather see Umphs on their own at the Seaport venue.

And you could 1,000% be right about all this. I'm just saying, knowing a few people who have worked in venue management...it's just kind of hard to believe, not that there aren't dick-holes who own and run venues, but that even those dick-holes know the show has to go on, especially in a place like HOB where they make an absolute monstrous killing selling booze. Show stops, drinks stop. No manager worth their salt would intentionally do that. That's why if there was some issue with equipment, I have a feeling it was more miscommunication.

I think it was 2014 Jake mentioned Boston NYE and how they had been wanting it for a while. But you are 100% right, I don't believe it will happen in Boston unless more venues become much more easily accessible to bands like Umphrey's and make sense to play where they'll actually turn a good profit.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #833
patsfan39

I think it had something to do with them not supplying the right level of electricity that led to the cutout/shutdown or they didnt have the right hookups and UM had to bring in more equipment of their own (I am very non technically knowledgeable in this area). To me they seem very conscious of their margins, which i suspect arent very high, so every time a venue causes them to have higher expenses it leads to them shying away. They have had a lot of PPV concerts this year which leads me to believe 1) they are aware of the need to keep the $$ rolling and 2) they love playing together, but they also dont have to sell it to people they could just play together and no one would know.

I dont think UM has played Boston since the 2014 Halloween shows. They typically go to Portland, New Haven and even Lupos in RI instead. I do love that they play Hampton Beach in the summer, but the sound in that venue is terrible. Ive always opted for the headphones at shows there.

Heres my exchange w/ Joel on Twitter a while back where he mentioned not liking the HOB, he actually suggested wanting to play Orpheum again.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 01-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #834
mja271

They played the BoA Pavilion in 2015 and 2016 and HOB Boston in 2018. I've been to every Boston show the last 9-10 years. I don't love either the Pavillion or HOB as venues tbh but the proximity to me is nice and I'd definitely be down for another "event" type show there. I'm likely past the point of traveling by plane to see them on an NYE run anywhere, so that would be cool if it ever happened.

I'm hoping that UMBowl will be able to go down in October, that'll definitely be the longest I've ever held onto a ticket . Had a blast at the 2014 one at the Cap, it's a great venue for that event and it being 2 nights this time should be sweet.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #835
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I think it had something to do with them not supplying the right level of electricity that led to the cutout/shutdown or they didnt have the right hookups and UM had to bring in more equipment of their own (I am very non technically knowledgeable in this area). To me they seem very conscious of their margins, which i suspect arent very high, so every time a venue causes them to have higher expenses it leads to them shying away. They have had a lot of PPV concerts this year which leads me to believe 1) they are aware of the need to keep the $$ rolling and 2) they love playing together, but they also dont have to sell it to people they could just play together and no one would know.

I dont think UM has played Boston since the 2014 Halloween shows. They typically go to Portland, New Haven and even Lupos in RI instead. I do love that they play Hampton Beach in the summer, but the sound in that venue is terrible. Ive always opted for the headphones at shows there.

Heres my exchange w/ Joel on Twitter a while back where he mentioned not liking the HOB, he actually suggested wanting to play Orpheum again.

Hmm interesting about the electricity level.

Agreed about Hampton Beach. Some really awesome shows there but the acoustics can sometimes be noticeably bad like you mentioned. Not all the time, but sometimes. Still one of the best Umphs shows I've ever seen took place there in 2007. [Only registered users can see links.] Crowd was so fucking jacked, band was just on fire, even Brendan kept looking up every few minutes like "jesus you guys are nuts", dudes crowd surfing. It wasn't a bunch of frat dudes, just regular fans having an awesome time. Actually, I haven't listened to the show in quite some time but I THINK Brendan actually even acknowledges how amped the crowd was. Kitchen, DBK, Wizard, Breathe into Slacker was so fucking good. The band has gotten heavier and louder over the last 10 years so sometimes you go back to some of these pre-2010 shows and they don't seem to "pack the punch" like today's shows but god damn there were some killer moments. I think 2007 might be one of my favorite years for Umphreys. I just saw some really great, fun, energetic and unique shows. Nokia Theater (nyc) April '07 is another amazing 2-nighter. Heavy Metal Bee Gees cover band called "Tragedy" opened and they were such a blast. So different and fun and then Matisyahu guesting with Umphs didn't hurt either. Sorry for the rant, sometimes when ya start talking Umphs you just get lost.

Orpheum can be a very fun venue to see an actual show but god damn is it a cluster fuck in that tiny foyer. It's so small, and the bar takes up a ton of room, people blocking the actual entrance to the theater itself waiting in line to get a drink, then the merch booth set up makes it even smaller. Everyone packed in the foyer like sardines, it's just an extremely unpleasant experience trying to get into the actual theater but once there it's so worth it. The acoustics are awesome. I've seen a great deal of bands there. Pumpkins, Flecktones, David Gray, Tribe Called Quest, MOE, Oasis, Fun Lovin Criminals, The Shins, Chvrches, lots of awesome acts, and of course Umphrey's. It's such an interesting venue because some years you'd have like 25 shows then the next year there'd be like 10 shows. Would love to see Umphs get back there someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
They played the BoA Pavilion in 2015 and 2016 and HOB Boston in 2018. I've been to every Boston show the last 9-10 years. I don't love either the Pavillion or HOB as venues tbh but the proximity to me is nice and I'd definitely be down for another "event" type show there. I'm likely past the point of traveling by plane to see them on an NYE run anywhere, so that would be cool if it ever happened.

I'm hoping that UMBowl will be able to go down in October, that'll definitely be the longest I've ever held onto a ticket . Had a blast at the 2014 one at the Cap, it's a great venue for that event and it being 2 nights this time should be sweet.
I love the Pavilion. However, I can understand Umphs passing on it to play something like the Levitate Fest. because the Pavilion was only 3/4 sold day of the show the last time they played there. Part of that is it wasn't a very easy venue to get to, extremely limited parking, etc... But there's a TON of space to just walk around inside the actual venue without feeling like you're clustered in a huge crowd trying to get beers or go to the bathroom. I love the set up against the water, security has always been really awesome there, tons of space for merch tables, etc... and the acoustics are not half bad.

Now HOB...for me...take it or leave it. It's an ok venue. Saw some amazing acts/performances there that I won't forget, but it's not a venue I'm hoping someone plays, ya know? I'm with ya on UMBowl. I just don't have it in me anymore to travel to shows. Even forgetting the cost of it all...I just don't have the drive in me to organize all the logistics like I did with DMB years ago. God...even just thinking about it is giving me a headache. haha
Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #836
patsfan39

You guys are totally spot on with your assessment of the Boston venues in my mind. Ive never found either the BOA pavilion or the HOB to be particularly good concert experiences. They are also both extremely hard on smoking for some reason. As for Orpheum, that is such a fantastic venue I’ve see so many good shows there including allman brothers, tedeschi trucks, string cheese, moe, primus and I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Also I totally forgot about the 2018 HOB show and I was totally there too. I even bought the ugliest poster I’ve ever purchased at any show (sample of the poster in the link below)

That’s also an awesome story about Hampton. I totally agree their sound started building in 2010ish I used to say they were noticeably getting better during those years. The most memorable show I’ve ever seen of theirs was at Hampton in 2010. They played booth love during the first set and after the set break Brandon told the crowd they saw people fucking in the booths up above the stage. Apparently they got caught by security but Brendan mentioned it was the first time they’ve seen people fucking at one of their shows. From that point on the show went to another level. Lenny and Phil’s farm in the encore was also incredible.

Not mine but for some reason I bought the same one [Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc