These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #21
Bluewater34
Is Old

When I first listened to AFTW Rooftop was definitely one of the songs that stood out to me, but there’s just something about the band’s more recent songs that makes them fade from my mind very quickly. At this point I’m basically indifferent to it. In fact, when I see references to it I have to remind myself what it actually sounds like. I still like it when I hear it, but as soon as it’s over I forget it.

Just for the record, I’m not putting that on Dave or the band necessarily. Obviously I don’t listen to or think about DMB the way I used to, and while some of that is because I don’t enjoy what they’re playing or how they’re playing it like I used to, much more of it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with me.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #22
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post

I bet some people here have never even seen this. Talk about a completely forgotten music video.
What I’m the world, I had no idea this was a thing.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
NiCK (Crush)

I knew it.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #24
mja271

yep same here. No clue this existed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #25
Tomacco

I watched that video once when it came out, and then in pieces on the video screens at DMB shows. That and the FTWII videos are both pretty bad, IMO.

As for the song, it peaked in December 2012. The breakdown adds nothing. Just grinds the song to a halt. If somebody took a solo during that part, it would make sense at least. Having the LL's do vocal solos in that section at least gave it a point.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #26
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The breakdown would work earlier in the song. But as it stands, it splits the climax of the song in two, which sucks.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #27
dmb2much40

Like most, I don't like the breakdown. But otherwise I feel it's one of the top songs from AFTW, both musically and lyrically. I do feel like Jeff could do more on this song.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #28
JimBeam41

I love the LT29 version (6/1/13). Rashwan sounds great on it
Old 04-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #29
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Shaved Dave is scary.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #30
SomeDevil17

Didn’t he do the barbershop chair thing in the weird random video for eh hee as well?
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #31
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Didn’t he do the barbershop chair thing in the weird random video for eh hee as well?
And Funny The Way It Is.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #32
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

So anyhow, I always thought of this tune as a commentary about being famous and the chorus is an on-the-nose truth about how famous people relate to their audience. As in "I want you" as a fan, but also, I need you to "tell me that you want me, too." (doesn't fully believe in himself)

Forgive me if I'm late to this boat, but I love the music (sans lame live breakdown) and I enjoy thinking of it as Dave (the famous guy) trying to make sense of his fame and relationship with his audience. Especially "if I was a winner." Seems like he's chalking his fame up to chance.

Standin' on a rooftop
all these people watching (being famous)
it's hard to find the words when
you got so far to fall (set the bar high with the big three, now what?)
just trying to keep a secret
never tell a soul, no, no
take another drink so
I can lose control (I'm feel like I'm 'drying up,' and trying to drown that realization)

I
I want you to
tell me that you want me
want me
too
I
I want you to
tell me that you want me
want me
too

If I was a winner
I'd cut the cards and deal them (If I had control, this is how I'd have done it)
buy a great big house where
we could disappear
but you
find yourself a sweet spot
people wanna get some (everyone wants a piece)
you're just another dead man
tryin' to fool the world (why do people make such a big deal out of me? Soon I'll be gone - classic Dave)

I
I want you to
tell me that you want me
want me
too
I
I want you to
tell me that you want me
want me
too

I gave you the best of me
and you said goodbye (lolz, goodbye LWS era fans!)
shoulda taken the rest of me
see the morning come up
come up (I still have a few gems in here)
if you're goin' out tonight
maybe I catch a ride (always thought this line was "catch your eye")
maybe we lose our minds tonight
fall until we fly (make the leap in order to find your place)

Alright, tear me apart. I just like this tune.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #33
sean52692
You failed this band

I agree with parts of your assessment, Jayes. The lyrics come across as Dave's commentary on fame and how he achieved his status. I especially agree with this portion:

Quote:
find yourself a sweet spot
people wanna get some (everyone wants a piece)
you're just another dead man
tryin' to fool the world (why do people make such a big deal out of me? Soon I'll be gone - classic Dave)
Dave certainly found himself a sweet spot (the DMB machine) and sometimes I feel like his entire existence is other people wanting things from him (everyone wants a piece). Management, record labels, the crew, bandmates, etc all heavily depend on his production. Fans obviously want their piece of Dave as well - whether it's new music and releases, certain songs played, autographs/drawings, selfies, etc. This entire operation revolves around one dead man tryin' to fool the world who happened to write some damn good music back in the day.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #34
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

In Depth Song Discussion #3—Rooftop

If you want to take it a step too far, Rooftop could be a polite response to the hardcore fanbase
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #35
terrapin24

Hate the live breakdown. Love the studio version.
terrapin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #36
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I like this song, but I'm not crazy about the live breakdown. I liked it when they kept the original faster pace going. That Jimmy Fallon version posted above was really good.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #37
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
The Fallon performance was one of their best performances of Rooftop and one of their best TV performances

[Only registered users can see links.]
Wow that is a really good one. Don’t think I’ve ever seen Dave or the band as confident on a late night TV appearance than on this one. Usually Dave really struggles in those spots but he sounds great here. Carter loves bashing the shit out of his drums and BT is clearly off to the side for most of it, but otherwise solid.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #38
TDunk

Like it and agree with the above meaning
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #39
Tomacco

I always forget about Boyd's little section in that song. He is invisible for most of the song, but it is nice that he's prominent in the bridge at least. For me, even small moments like that in the newer material makes me treasure the violin in DMB. Really hope they get a touring violinist with the band (and don't cut Boyd from the album).
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #40
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

It occurs to me, having just written about Sleep to Dream Her in thread #4, that the verse here (purely in terms of the chord movement) is exactly what the verse of Sleep to Dream Her would be if Dave stopped halfway through and went back to the beginning.

STDH would go B major to F# major, then A major to E major. If you stopped the riff there, that makes I, V, flat-VII (IV-of-IV), IV.

The verse riff here goes E major, B major, D major, A major, which is the same: I, V, flat-VII (IV-of-IV), IV. Note that the third chord seems a little odd, but moving to the last chord lets you feel how it connects back to the first one.

If you want a mindfuck, and you're a guitar player, make this riff do what STDH did by playing the initial pattern on E major (A string fret 7), then B major (E string fret 7), then D major (A string fret 5), then instead of changing the pattern like the song actually does just keep playing the same pattern on A major (E string fret 5), then C major (A string fret 3), then G major (E string fret 3), then jam on a standard D chord to fill the rest of the space. If you go back to the beginning of the riff after that, it sounds super awkward.

It just goes to show how ridiculously well-constructed STDH is, to take exactly the same movement but build it around these strong chromatic voices that somehow make the entire thing flow.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc