These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
greykitkat36

In Depth Song Discussion #3—Rooftop

Switching gears for this one to newer material. I’m pretty disappointed how little love the seek up thread got compared to OSW, but to each their own.

Back to Rooftop, this song sucks. I never liked it. The verses are cool and I like the guitar riff but this has one of the cheesiest choruses of all time—sounds like a Poison Song from the 80s or something, just bad. The live breakdown with the ladies was the last straw for me in this one. I really don’t care for it and would be fine never hearing it live again honestly. There are far worse songs in the bands catalog but still this is song does very little for me mainly because of how cringey the chorus is.

Best version? Is there one?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #2
gweeps

Reminds me of something from Everyday.

Despite the rock, the studio cut still has a laid-back feel. Though Carter tries to throw in some pep.

It's not a bad song. The lyric is vague enough to invite interpretation.

Rashawn adds class to this one.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Controversial opinion: the live breakdown totally kills the flow of the song. It's better without it.

Aside from that, I really like the song. Lots of weird key modulations and the chorus is in 7/4. Classically Dave-Matthews-weird.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Best version is 12.22.2012. Rooftop is a fantastic song. Jeff’s Baritone work is basically the hook of the song. There’s nothing at all cheesy about the lyrics, they’re strong actually
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Steveo Style

Love Rooftop. And it’s fun to play
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The Fallon performance was one of their best performances of Rooftop and one of their best TV performances

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Best version is 12.22.2012. Rooftop is a fantastic song. Jeff’s Baritone work is basically the hook of the song. There’s nothing at all cheesy about the lyrics, they’re strong actually
“I, I want you to tell me that you want me” is the part I’m talking about. That whole section is so cringey to me, if they took that out I’d like the song more.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Oh yeah, even the killer baritone that backs that part? Sounds like a song about a narcissist, those lyrics make sense
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
The Fallon performance was one of their best performances of Rooftop and one of their best TV performances

Awesome video. Thanks for posting that!

I dig this song. It's slick, I liked the break down but never really enjoy the Lovely Ladies outside of the studio version of Stay.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Switching gears for this one to newer material. I’m pretty disappointed how little love the seek up thread got compared to OSW, but to each their own.

Back to Rooftop, this song sucks. I never liked it. The verses are cool and I like the guitar riff but this has one of the cheesiest choruses of all time—sounds like a Poison Song from the 80s or something, just bad. The live breakdown with the ladies was the last straw for me in this one. I really don’t care for it and would be fine never hearing it live again honestly. There are far worse songs in the bands catalog but still this is song does very little for me mainly because of how cringey the chorus is.

Best version? Is there one?
I didn't participate in the Seek Up thread. It was exactly the same as the OSW thread. I needed a different song thread that contained posts other than "used to love it, now it's awful, I hate Rashawn, Everything Wrong With DMB 3.0, All they do is play all over each other which means I haven't actually listened to a version in the last 3 years to see that was a brief thing and now they trade off and spend about 30 seconds at the climax playing on top of each other."

I was positive Grey Street was next. I hear they cut a verse and it doesn't build any more, but I'm not really sure if that's just a legend handed down.

First two songs picks were basically just gathering all the same posts in every other thread and putting them in a newly focused one. However great idea and I hope it continues long into the future.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

So........... what do you think about Rooftop, then?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I really enjoy Rooftop. The live breakdown section needs to go, but I enjoy everything else about it, including that Rashawn actually fits this song.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
mja271

Fun tune. One of the better ones from AFTW for me. Nice live song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Josh.0

Rooftop is one of the better songs they’ve written in the last decade. The guitar riff reminds me a lot of Rhyme and Reason and the pacing and vocal delivery seem more natural than many other newer songs. It has less of that “forced” feel than many other songs off BW and AWFTW have to my ear.

I honestly think it should be a live staple and close shows with an extended jam that doesn’t feature Rashawn, because he doesn’t fit well into the sound this song has IMO.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
So........... what do you think about Rooftop, then?
Fair enough :-)

When I first heard Away From the World, I loved it and still do. That was a great summer for me and each song they played live I loved a little more. Spent a lot of time in Charlotte traveling for work for the first time, and remember walking around Uptown on beautiful days wearing out the live versions of the songs as they came out. The WPB-guested If Only, the preview version of Gaucho, any version of the Riff, Belly Belly Nice, etc. When the album came out, I didn't dig Rooftop at all. It was the weak point to me. The chorus felt a bit like Hello Again to me.

I started liking it at the 5.31.13 Burgettstown show. Don't know why. I had a great night and a great show, and it just clicked. I thought the breakdown which I thought was a bit cheesy on first listen or two, actually found its place.

Now, I don't think it's amazing or anything, but it's a worthy addition to shows. Crowd likes it, nothing about it is offensive, Rashawn's solo is well-placed and feels right. I like how Carter builds throughout the song and something that feels a little unique to their catalog (and I'm not reviewing all the songs to see how unique), is the verses feel like double-time as opposed to the choruses.

For modern DMB, I give it a B+, even if my personal tastes put it a bit lower. I can separate those pretty easily.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
bassplayer22

Disliked the song the first time I heard it, but that was because I had read somewhere that one of the songs off AFTW was a fleshed out version of the BTCS commercial that comes on after DDTW.

Now, I love the song. One of the better songs off AFTW and of the past several years. I love what Stefan and Carter do on the song, especially in the chorus. Unique use of Rashawn's solo on the studio version.

I agree they should cut out the breakdown, it takes away from the song.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Rashawn is actually good on this on this song
Old 04-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #18
NiCK (Crush)

I bet some people here have never even seen this. Talk about a completely forgotten music video.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #19
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:

Forgot how good this was.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Probably my favorite off AFTW and one of their most underrated songs. The opening riff sounds like something right off UTTAD or Crash. And I love the second verse where Carter comes in.

Hate the live breakdown. Should go right into the trumpet solo like on the album.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc