These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #21
mjf

My introduction to Dave Matthews was through Luther College in the summer of '99. Hearing those opening chords of OSW still brings me back. Everything from the melody, Dave's rhythm, Tim's volume swells... I was hooked pretty quickly to say least
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
celluloid hero

I'm guessing song #2 is Grey Street?
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #23
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

This song is so bittersweet for me. I remember it being one of the first I fell in love with. Those 94 sbds sound so clean (8/27/94, iirc was a go to). daveís start to the instro was so perfect. It was everyting I loved about dmb. It just felt so perfect during the Ď97 summer tour which I really connected with. I remember during 8/26/00, I actually felt like I was at a 97 show through LLD.

Then, it all turned. They dropped the intsro and beat it into the ground. I remember hitting a bunch of shows in Ď06 and OSW or Everyday opened every. Single. One. It really soured me. Now, it is a bathroom song. Sucks because (as others have said) it is everything that ussd to be great about dmb. Now it is just grating.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
gweeps

I didn't hate the change in 2004 simply because it was something different. But they should've changed it back within a couple of years. Now the only way to really hear the song is D&T.

4/20/02 is my favourite DMB version. Roi!
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #25
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I'm guessing song #2 is Grey Street?
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #26
BigVodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
...Tim plays incorrect chords...
um, what? I don't understand this.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #27
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Go listen to the version I mentioned. Tim is playing different chords from everyone else on stage. I'm sure he intends for it to sound jazzy or something, but to me it just sounds wrong.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #28
BigVodka

I can’t hear it because I don’t believe in the concept.

(I gave a quick listen last night just off my phone speaker but poor quality and could distinguish instruments. I’ll try again)
Old 03-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #29
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

...dont believe in the concept? What are you talking about?
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #30
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
It was a top 5 for me when I first got into the band. The arrangement, lyrics...I just fell in love with it early on. And the vocal delivery never seemed forced to me, not once, back in the day. Some tunes were loud, some were soft and OSW just seemed to ride the middle of the pack without being mediocre and after a hard hitting Two Step, or slowly bringing the energy back after a LLD or Satellite, there was always room in a setlist for OSW and never killed the flow of a set/show and for that it never wavered from being one of only a handful of songs that defined the band, at least for me anyway. I seem to have a different opinion from those who were instantly turned off with the omission of the Intro. I loved the intro, don't get me wrong, and I would rather have it than not, but I still didn't mind hearing Dave's riff of OSW to kick off the tune. It just never bothered me. But as time has gone on, the smooth subtle textures of One Sweet World, much like a alot of their catalog, has disappeared and we're left with this heavy-handed, abrasive song that was once a defining tune for the band. Just the 5 or with Butch, with the Intro or without, full band or D&T acoustic, Swim Naked or mumbling...I just really loved One Sweet World, still do...just not how it is now.

4/20/02 as was mentioned is easily one of the best. I also love 8/5/00, 5/26/99, 6/8 and 6/13/97, 7/28/94, 8/27/02, 9/8/03, pretty much any performance from '93 - '08.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #31
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
It was a top 5 for me when I first got into the band. The arrangement, lyrics...I just fell in love with it early on. And the vocal delivery never seemed forced to me, not once, back in the day. Some tunes were loud, some were soft and OSW just seemed to ride the middle of the pack without being mediocre and after a hard hitting Two Step, or slowly bringing the energy back after a LLD or Satellite, there was always room in a setlist for OSW and never killed the flow of a set/show and for that it never wavered from being one of only a handful of songs that defined the band, at least for me anyway. I seem to have a different opinion from those who were instantly turned off with the omission of the Intro. I loved the intro, don't get me wrong, and I would rather have it than not, but I still didn't mind hearing Dave's riff of OSW to kick off the tune. It just never bothered me. But as time has gone on, the smooth subtle textures of One Sweet World, much like a alot of their catalog, has disappeared and we're left with this heavy-handed, abrasive song that was once a defining tune for the band. Just the 5 or with Butch, with the Intro or without, full band or D&T acoustic, Swim Naked or mumbling...I just really loved One Sweet World, still do...just not how it is now.

4/20/02 as was mentioned is easily one of the best. I also love 8/5/00, 5/26/99, 6/8 and 6/13/97, 7/28/94, 8/27/02, 9/8/03, pretty much any performance from '93 - '08.
well said. I fully agree.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #32
BigVodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
...dont believe in the concept? What are you talking about?
I'm saying I don't believe the concept that Tim could play a wrong note
Old 03-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #33
dmb2much40

That's a good point, it is one of the few songs that fit well anywhere in the set.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #34
Thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
I'm saying I don't believe the concept that Tim could play a wrong note
To be clear: I don't think he's making a mistake. I think he's choosing to play different chords from everyone else on stage on purpose. I just think his artistic choice is terrible.

If you're saying you don't believe Tim can make a bad artistic choice, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #35
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post

Very well said.

I love that '99 version in particular. Roi going from his older part to the later higher pitched part when he does is just a perfect touch.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #36
Thrawn

It's probably worth mentioning in this thread, too, how wildly different the '92 OSWs sound, like the one on Trax 37. Having not listened to almost any 1992 shows before that Trax, OSW was one of the most surprising things on the whole release for me - propulsive and loose.

The funny thing is that the '92 performance style shows that OSW could actually work really well in the louder/faster 3.0 style, they're just doing it wrong.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #37
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

There's just something about that 6/8/97 version. So good.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #38
Jfaspen
Burnin Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
This song was DMB for me.
I agree with this..

A saying back in the day was when the show started with OSW, you knew you were in for a good one.
No Referrals needed, complete free trials and get free stuff

http://www.trialclix.com/index.asp?refID=65464
Jfaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #39
DIDO36

The Intro was fantastic, but I still love this song at shows in 3.0

I really miss the intro tho. Especially as a show opener.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #40
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
The Intro was fantastic, but I still love this song at shows in 3.0

I really miss the intro tho. Especially as a show opener.
Interesting, I think youíre the only person on this entire forum that still likes OSW in 3.0, first time Iíve heard someone say it at least. Itís not that I hate the song now, but itís such a downgrade from what it was thatís it not exciting anymore. Also, these days when OSW is in a set itís usually a tell tale sign of a ďmailed inĒ set. You know that itís going to be surrounded by stuff like Seven, Grey St, Satellite, YMDTóall the overplayed ones. I hope they try and change OSW up a lot this summer if they do play it a lot. It needs another overhaul.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc