These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2018, 02:31 AM   #1
greykitkat36

In-Depth Song Discussion #1 - One Sweet World

If this idea sucks, feel free to delete the thread, but I thought it might be interesting and different for us to spend a thread dissecting specific songs. Post and talk about the best versions of the song, and maybe how you feel about where the song is currently in 3.0 style/format.

OSW is so much better with the Instrumental Intro..anyone know the reason why they stopped doing that? I figure they got bored of it and dropped it and then just never felt the urge to bring it back but always wondered if there was more to it than that. I can't think of my favorite absolute version off the top of my head, but for some reason I feel like those Spring '02 ones and Summer '03 ones really stand out to me.

I think this song sounded best in that slower '99-'03 era when they band was using slower tempos and being jazzier. Butch added some really nice stuff on it too. The song is atrocious these days, one of the worst ones they play currently to me. And I know most agree. It's a bunch of noise now with no dyanmics and I hate how stiff the horns sound on it. Amazing how I used to love hearing it, and now dread and sigh when it gets played like I do for other songs I dislike. Not sure it can be salvaged.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

I like this idea for a thread.

The instrumental intro is one of the more surprisingly musically sophisticated riffs in the band's catalog; lots of weird key modulations. The fact that Roi solos over it so smoothly has always been impressive to me.

The thing I dislike the most about the 3.0 arrangement isn't the horns, though they are annoying, it's that Tim plays incorrect chords over the final Eb/Bb pairs (the "swim naked" section at the end). Listen on Live in Atlantic City if you don't know what I'm talking about. Everyone is playing Ebs and Bbs except Tim, who plays some other set of four chords that doesn't match. Drives me fucking crazy.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Steveo Style

He band brought back the intro a few years ago for a bit and then ditched it again, but they didn’t segue it into the original start of the song, so instead we got the nice intro and then terrible sax for another 3 minutes before the singing begins.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
illi3

How in depth do you want to be?
Used to be great. Now they've killed it with noise and speed.
illi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
illi3

I hope no one gets mad when I post that in every "In-Depth Song Discussion" thread.
illi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Tomacco

Rashawn and Tim kind of ruined this song. But to be honest, 204-2006 ruined this song more for me. Ditching the instrumental intro then overplaying it to all hell, especially as an opener, made me sick of it long before anything 3.0 did to it.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
celluloid hero

First time I ever heard the instrumental intro was 6.8.97 mp3s I downloaded from Moosey's DMB Palace. That's a pretty good version.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by illi3 View Post
I hope no one gets mad when I post that in every "In-Depth Song Discussion" thread.

I’m already furious. How dare you?
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Steveo Style

The Piedmont version is one of the best I’ve heard post 2003
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
Dartagnan
Standing Has Become a Chore...

WH8 Vol 1 is still one of my favorites. That could be because I adore the disc in general.

OSW was always a go to song for me. I loved the opening horn riff and how Roi's notes flowed into one another. It lost that charm for me after the riff became more angular and choppy.
Dartagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
sean52692
You failed this band

I remember early tapes from 1992 when Dave talks about how he wrote this quiet, earnest tune and then when they played it with the full band, Carter brought this "crazy Virginia mountain funk" playing to the table....such a good description.

Structurally and lyrically, it is one of my favorite Dave songs. I like it equally in any format because it's a Dave driven song - the guitar parts and vocal delivery are the best parts and most fascinating parts of the song.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Mersh

This song was DMB for me.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
This song was DMB for me.
Itís probably still the purest distillation of whatís wrong with the band. At one point it contained everything unique and noteworthy about DMB. Now it contains everything that I feel like is ruining DMB.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
drh424s

song was ruined when they changed the entire rhythm of it in 2004, now it's unlistenable . . . sounds botched every time i hear it now
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
mja271

I actually hate this song now which is a shame. It's so terrible these days. In its purest form it's top notch DMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Mitch

Quote:
Used to be great. Now they've killed it with noise and speed.
Quote:
yep.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #17
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
I remember early tapes from 1992 when Dave talks about how he wrote this quiet, earnest tune and then when they played it with the full band, Carter brought this "crazy Virginia mountain funk" playing to the table....such a good description.

Structurally and lyrically, it is one of my favorite Dave songs. I like it equally in any format because it's a Dave driven song - the guitar parts and vocal delivery are the best parts and most fascinating parts of the song.
It's a Dave driven song, sure, but Dave wasn't exaggerating about Carter's drum part. It's incredibly weird; he emphasizes the 4th beat of each measure with a snare hit, which is weird enough anyway, but it doesn't even match the emphasis of the underlying riff. Compare, for instance, #41 where Carter's downbeats match Dave's emphasized strums. OSW might be one of the most unusual drum grooves Carter ever came up with.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
It's a Dave driven song, sure, but Dave wasn't exaggerating about Carter's drum part. It's incredibly weird; he emphasizes the 4th beat of each measure with a snare hit, which is weird enough anyway, but it doesn't even match the emphasis of the underlying riff. Compare, for instance, #41 where Carter's downbeats match Dave's emphasized strums. OSW might be one of the most unusual drum grooves Carter ever came up with.
Yes on this and on your previous post. That AC show was the last show I attended and I wondered if I was hearing things or if Tim was intentionally shooting for some kind of atonal harmony but the entire song ends up sounding off kilter and not in a creative way. The way Carter plays it puts it right on the edge of feeling off and the changes over the years have pushed it over that fine line to the point where it's almost like some kind of bizzaro nightmare version of it's former self. The instrumental intros used to be some of my favourite moments with Roi who was my favourtite member of the band.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
dmb2much40

Roi is perfect on the 4.20.02 performance. Song became worthless after they ditched the intro. Totally changed the vibe of the song.

And to be honest, it doesn't even matter that rashawn ruins it now because this is the type of song Jeff doesn't play well. He lacks the subtly roi had.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #20
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Roi is perfect on the 4.20.02 performance. Song became worthless after they ditched the intro. Totally changed the vibe of the song.

And to be honest, it doesn't even matter that rashawn ruins it now because this is the type of song Jeff doesn't play well. He lacks the subtly roi had.
I gave it a shot from 2008 to 2010 and saw some great shows but it wasn't the same. Seeing the caravan in 2011 was it for me. I liked AFTW but just couldn't pull the trigger on tickets and haven't since.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc