These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #2981
Tomacco

People have been complaining about the wordiness of B&BB and Bismarck since day 1. I can't remember, did people react the same way to Spaceman too?
Old 04-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #2982
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Bismarck sucks. Verbal diarrhea. Just skipped to a part, tried to sort through the 400 words Dave awkwardly "sang" within 7 seconds, and stopped. Is this the DMB you guys like?
Yet strangely, when Dave sings literally incomprehensible pseudo-lyrics that really are verbal diarrhea, you're all over it.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #2983
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post

this is one of my favorites from the new batch, actually has some energy unlike Virginia and Death on the High Seas...
That’s some good shit
Old 04-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #2984
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Yet strangely, when Dave sings literally incomprehensible pseudo-lyrics that really are verbal diarrhea, you're all over it.
Clever call out, but a couple differences. Even in Dave's wordiest adlibs, they mostly fit into the song structure and rarely seem forced. At times they may be gibberish or half-words, but at least they flow naturally. Which kind of points to how bad Dave's current lyrics are when they constantly feel like run-on sentences, having an overall feel of dissonance with the music, and we're talking about his finished lyrical product.

The second difference is the intimacy of the raw nature of improvised lyrics that, even if sometimes "pseudo", provide extra emotional depth to the song and a richer connection for the listener.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #2985
JustinC

Quote:
Bismarck sucks. Verbal diarrhea. Just skipped to a part, tried to sort through the 400 words Dave awkwardly "sang" within 7 seconds, and stopped. Is this the DMB you guys like?
Says the guy who has continually come to a DMB message board for close to a decade and whined about how they are terrible.

For fuck sake man DMB isn't for you anymore, hasn't been since you joined TDC. Any sane person would have moved on from the band by now.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #2986
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Says the guy who has continually come to a DMB message board for close to a decade and whined about how they are terrible.

For fuck sake man DMB isn't for you anymore, hasn't been since you joined TDC. Any sane person would have moved on from the band by now.
You need to update your records. I doubt I even crack the top 10 on this board in terms of who most thinks current DMB is terrible.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #2987
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:

still trying to find some common ground with you, man. Not yet!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #2988
Thrawn

Quote:
Clever call out, but a couple differences. Even in Dave's wordiest adlibs, they mostly fit into the song structure and rarely seem forced. At times they may be gibberish or half-words, but at least they flow naturally. Which kind of points to how bad Dave's current lyrics are when they constantly feel like run-on sentences, having an overall feel of dissonance with the music, and we're talking about his finished lyrical product.

The second difference is the intimacy of the raw nature of improvised lyrics that, even if sometimes "pseudo", provide extra emotional depth to the song and a richer connection for the listener.
I mean, I have no objection to you liking or not liking anything, whatever. The way you described it just seemed weird to me.

This: [Only registered users can see links.] is not verbal diarrhea. A clear narrative with a particular conceit, specific imagery, contrasting sections, and some memorable phrasings (albeit not as many as in Dave's early years). It's not about his kids, seizing the day, eating pussy, or satellites.

It sounds to me like you don't like the phrasing of the lyrics over the music. You think it sounds rushed, and that annoys you. That's fine, think what you want, it just seems like you're trying too hard to be sweepingly negative to me sometimes.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #2989
Steveo Style

Guys, if you donít like Bismarck from this band at this stage in their career, I honestly donít know why youíre still a fan.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #2990
Thrawn

I like Bismarck a lot. You probably weren't talking to me, but just in case that wasn't clear.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #2991
dandtrock

Steveo pretty much nailed it
Old 04-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #2992
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
Guys, if you don’t like Bismarck from this band at this stage in their career, I honestly don’t know why you’re still a fan.
Totally agree my man. It's certainly has that feel I'm looking a lot more for in 2018 DMB. It has that breezy, groovy Snow Outside feel to it. I'd take 10 more just like it.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #2993
NiCK (Crush)

Top Five Songs since 2012:

1. Snow Outside
2. Broken Things
3. Bismarck
4. Samurai Cop
5. Gaucho? I really have no idea what to put here. A lot of middle of the road ties.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #2994
Bluewater34
Is Old

In order to find a song that Dave has written that I like more than Bismarck, you’d have to go back to 2004.

Last edited by Bluewater34; 04-14-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #2995
Minarets
so damn interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Top Five Songs since 2012:

1. Snow Outside
2. Broken Things
3. Bismarck
4. Samurai Cop
5. Gaucho? I really have no idea what to put here. A lot of middle of the road ties.

I think Gaucho is widely underrated. It has every single thing that makes up a good DMB tune. Everyone has a part. Maybe lose the kids.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #2996
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
I think Gaucho is widely underrated. It has every single thing that makes up a good DMB tune.

Another child that's grown old
Old 04-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #2997
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
I think Gaucho is widely underrated. It has every single thing that makes up a good DMB tune. Everyone has a part. Maybe lose the kids.
I listened to this song for the first time in a long time the other day and thought the same thing. My main gripe is a fairly generic chorus and the kids aren't great (but don't bother me a ton). I actually think the verse & bridge lyrics are pretty good, especially for modern Dave standards. Musically it has basically everything you'd want from a good DMB song
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #2998
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Gaucho is a great song.

Says a lot about AFTW that it wasn’t even top-3 on the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #2999
Minarets
so damn interesting.

And for those who say they can’t ever hear Dave, he is maybe the most prominent sound on the tune.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #3000
NiCK (Crush)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that one getting a few plays this summer.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc