These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #2361
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I actually listened to it late last week and itís just as dreadful as itís always been. Itís an awful, awful record. Not by DMB standards, but just popular music in general. Itís terrible.
Truth
Old 12-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #2362
Tomacco

I can deal with Smooth Rider live because of the solos, but man, is it trash on the album.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #2363
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Im listening now, i think theres some interesting stuff going on in there (i went in your order YMDT and Bayou are first) but i still think given the rest of their stuff it still sticks out.

I say the same thing about their live show, its not as good as it used to be, but it still beats a lot of what else is out there. Their bad is still better than other band's best.
I've seen this idea posted for decades and it's just so wrong. Maybe pre-Busted Stuff this was true but it really shouldn't still be in the deck.

What band's best is Hunger or When I'm Weary better than?
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #2364
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
I've seen this idea posted for decades and it's just so wrong. Maybe pre-Busted Stuff this was true but it really shouldn't still be in the deck.

Itís the same thing people have been saying about The Simpsons for years and years too. Not as good as it used to be but still better than most everything else out there. I call BS. Especially these days when both the TV (and music) landscape gets wider.

All that being said, DMB still does have among the best and most unpredictable live show. Doesnít mean their studio work and songwriting is better than most.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #2365
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I love Everybody Wake Up. Not for the political sentimentality but purely for the music. I find it to be quite enjoyable and Dave's playing on the breakdown at the end is really infectious.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #2366
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I actually listened to it late last week and itís just as dreadful as itís always been. Itís an awful, awful record. Not by DMB standards, but just popular music in general. Itís terrible.
Yep. Production, songwriting, performances all subpar. It's just a bad album full of under baked ideas, shitty drum machines, and gravelly vocals. You can cherry pick a few good moments for sure but to me it's one that still holds up as shitty as my memory is of it after listening to it yesterday thanks to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #2367
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I love Everybody Wake Up. Not for the political sentimentality but purely for the music. I find it to be quite enjoyable and Dave's playing on the breakdown at the end is really infectious.
Agreed. It's the only song I bother with on Stand Up.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #2368
patsfan39

Quote:

I meant more the live show and performances of older songs. Not the new material/just judging them on what is new in the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #2369
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

I like EWU and YMDT. Hello Again on the album sucks. Everything else is sub-suck.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #2370
Tomacco

I’m surprised music critics rated it as high as they did. It’s shocking actually.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #2371
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Iím surprised music critics rated it as high as they did. Itís shocking actually.
Critic reviews are usually always a bit of BS, thereís a standard and thereís people on record label payroll etc. itís usually not very authentic. Itís why I like meta critic as an aggregate because it takes everything into account and gives it a score based on combining user/critic reviews across the board. Imo itís the most ďaccurateĒ rating youíre going to get. That being said, everything is subjective so who cares?
Old 12-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #2372
mja271

When you get a one paragraph "review" in a major publication I can't help but wonder if the reviewer really critically listened to the album (or listened at all) or is just paid by the label to cover it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #2373
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Critic reviews are usually always a bit of BS, thereís a standard and thereís people on record label payroll etc. itís usually not very authentic. Itís why I like meta critic as an aggregate because it takes everything into account and gives it a score based on combining user/critic reviews across the board. Imo itís the most ďaccurateĒ rating youíre going to get. That being said, everything is subjective so who cares?
Music critics are yesteryear's reaction-video youtubers except they actually think what they say matters.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #2374
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Music critics are yesteryear's reaction-video youtubers except they actually think what they say matters.
Hello, have you met the internet and YouTube content creators?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc