These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #5921
NiCK (Crush)

Yeah I've heard the Rockies argument, but what are they supposed to do? So all Rockie greats are going to have an automatic harder time getting into the hall?

If Jeter had played 20 years in Colorado with his exact same Yankees numbers, he doesn't get in as easily?

There are definitely flaws in the system.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #5922
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Yeah I've heard the Rockies argument, but what are they supposed to do? So all Rockie greats are going to have an automatic harder time getting into the hall?

If Jeter had played 20 years in Colorado with his exact same Yankees numbers, he doesn't get in as easily?

There are definitely flaws in the system.
It’s Definitley a flawed system for sure, it’s not perfect. Rockies players will just have to have more equal splits for home and away. Walker hit so many more Hrs at home than away and his average is like 70pts higher home than away.

They’ll have to do what LeMahieu did this year and have killer seasons either playing for different teams, or great stats on the road as well as home.....OR get 3,000 hits or 500HRs. Those milestones pretty much allow the voters to disregard everything else (except steroids of course)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #5923
NiCK (Crush)

Old 02-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #5924
mja271

Oh no Mitch, say it ain’t so
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #5925
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Oh no Mitch, say it ainít so
First thing I thought when barstool mentioned the rumor

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #5926
Mitch

So, so far this offseason the Mets have:
  • Fired a manager
  • Hired a manager
  • Sold the team
  • Fired a manager again
  • Hired a manager again
  • Unsold the team

... and the season doesn't start for another 7 weeks.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #5927
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Goddamn....Red Sox with a salary dump. You hate to see it.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #5928
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Goddamn....Red Sox with a salary dump. You hate to see it.
Right? It's not often you see a team like the Sox trade away a prime-age stud in a salary dump. I mean, I guess it shows that the "competitive balance tax" is working since this is a move you usually only see small market teams make.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #5929
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Well, at this point I barely care about the sox anymore because of ownership, but I hate to see the fans so willingly accept the trade of the only home grown MVP in my lifetime as inevitable. The red sox expect their fans to pay above market value to consume a product where they refuse to pay market value to retain their own players. People are acting like, how dare Mookie ask for 420 mil! THAT IS THE MARKET! Why should he give one of the wealthiest organizations in baseball a steep discount? Ridiculous.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #5930
NiCK (Crush)

Red Sox dumping salary scares me though, they'll do something with that money eventually.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #5931
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I get a strong sense that in 5 years we won't see a lot of these 10+ year contracts offered especially when players are demanding half a billion dollars. The viewership decline, shaky and inconsistent fan attendance, lowered merch sales due to overproduction, extremely bad press on a global scale due to scandals...all of this seems to be building towards something that will effect players (and owners) bottom line which is $. The tax balance in my opinion was implemented more as a public showing of good faith from MLB to fans across the country, but as we all know it doesn't guarantee anything in the long run.

Now you have ownership of teams creating new value systems of players fresh out of college, minors and walk-ons in terms of ANY injury no matter how small so that they (the owners) will have a better standing on risk-vs-reward when it comes to contract negotiations. A bunch of market agents have been complaining about this for years now because quite frankly you'd see a lot more contracts with demanded value like Mookie's or Trout's over the last 3 - 5 years but behind closed doors teams are telling these agents to not even bother demanding these large deals because their client (ie; the player) will be threatened with bad press and PR for demanding the "unreasonable".
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #5932
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I'm really worried about a lockout/work stoppage when the CBA expires after 2021.

The owners are all miserable assholes. The players get screwed their first 6 years in the league. Just the whole system needs a do over. The luxury tax is a scam and the players association somehow agreed to it. Tony Clark needs to go.

Minor leaguers are treated like shit. And there's so much money pumped into the league.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #5933
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Double post. But for good measure, the owners blow.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #5934
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Right? It's not often you see a team like the Sox trade away a prime-age stud in a salary dump. I mean, I guess it shows that the "competitive balance tax" is working since this is a move you usually only see small market teams make.
I think the only winner here are the owners. How can a team like the Red Sox move a legitimate stud for salary relief? They're printing money.

Fans deserve better. Fans in every market. There's no reason the Rockies can't have a 200+m payroll. Or the Rays. Or the Pirates.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #5935
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I'm really worried about a lockout/work stoppage when the CBA expires after 2021.

The owners are all miserable assholes. The players get screwed their first 6 years in the league. Just the whole system needs a do over. The luxury tax is a scam and the players association somehow agreed to it. Tony Clark needs to go.

Minor leaguers are treated like shit. And there's so much money pumped into the league.
This will absolutely happen, though I think they'll settle things before it gets to any kind of lockout. They'll lower the amount of years of team control over the young players, the MLBPA is pushing for it hard with the way the owners are handling their teams now.

Teams are going after the model of homegrowing their farm system and build up their inventory of prospects, while getting rid of any players over 28, give or take. The Yankees have been smart recently by locking these players into smaller contracts before arbitration so they avoid having to get rid of them or pay them astronomically. Hicks got a really team-friendly deal as did Severino, and I'm sure they're planning on trying to do the same with Judge and Sanchez after this season.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:36 AM   #5936
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I think the only winner here are the owners. How can a team like the Red Sox move a legitimate stud for salary relief? They're printing money.
As great as Betts is, they clearly didn't think he was worth what he was asking for, which was in the 330 Million range over 8+ years. The Dodgers get lucky for this season, but they're gonna pay a kings ransom to keep him, which I'm assuming they're planning on doing, otherwise they wouldn't have made the deal.

And, it's honestly makes sense. Look at the teams who have paid insane amounts to have stars in recent years...they haven't come close to winning anything since making those deals. Angels (Trout), Phillies (Harper), Mets (DeGrom), and put Yankees on that list if they don't win this year after singing Cole. It's not a recipe for success by any means.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #5937
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
And, it's honestly makes sense. Look at the teams who have paid insane amounts to have stars in recent years...they haven't come close to winning anything since making those deals. Angels (Trout), Phillies (Harper), Mets (DeGrom), and put Yankees on that list if they don't win this year after singing Cole. It's not a recipe for success by any means.
There's no way I would call the deGrom contract "insane." It's an absolute bargain compared to the deals given to Cole and Strasburg this winter.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #5938
greykitkat36

Quote:
There's no way I would call the deGrom contract "insane." It's an absolute bargain compared to the deals given to Cole and Strasburg this winter.
I agree with you/ its not insane at all. They didnít have to pay him though, they could have waited. That being said, in general singing these guys to major long term giant contacts just hasnít paid off in recent years. Smart GMs know this and theyíd rather gamble with controllable young prospects.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #5939
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I agree with you/ its not insane at all. They didnít have to pay him though, they could have waited. .
But if they waited, just one year later the Cole and Strasburg contracts would have totally increased his market value. Dude's won 2 consecutive CY's. They actually signed him at the perfect time.

I agree with everything else you said, though. I"m not a fan of long-term contracts and new-breed GM's have wised up to them.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #5940
NiCK (Crush)

The Astros stuff is pissing me off more and more each day. These guys are coming across so terribly and I just donít get it. How do they not understand how bad this all is?

And Iíve never been one to hate a commissioner of a professional sports league, but Manfred is so clearly not the man for this job. He doesnít even seem to like baseball.

The fact that the first pitcher to plunk one of these Astros hitters is going to be suspended more than any single Astros player was for cheating is absolutely insane.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc