These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #81
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
This is a poor take. D&F and DMB apples and oranges.
So people think D&F's covers are better than DMB's?
Or is it that people accept that D&F have to fill out the set with covers considering there's only one Dave solo album? (Which is a totally fair take)

I imagine for some people it's both of the above. Performance-wise, I think both have ups and downs. I like the horn inclusions in many of DMB's covers and Carter is a better drummer. D&F's versions of Solsbury Hill and Tell Me Something Good are better than DMB's. DMB's "Thank You" is better than D&F's (IMO). But then again, I don't mind DMB playing covers now and then.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #82
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Considering how many people here dislike when DMB plays covers, Iím surprised by how popular D&F is around here.
DMb has 200 plus song catalog and tons of their own tunes. D+F is one album of material, so there had to be covers.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #83
Mersh

Quote:
Or is it that people accept that D&F have to fill out the set with covers considering there's only one Dave solo album? (Which is a totally fair take)

I imagine for some people it's both of the above.
Both for me...not all D+F covers are better, but I don't understand why people don't see why other people found those shows and covers to be a lot of fun and different than DMB covers.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #84
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Both for me...not all D+F covers are better, but I don't understand why people don't see why other people found those shows and covers to be a lot of fun and different than DMB covers.
I went to the MSG show and had a great time. I get it. For me it's just the extent of the love that sometimes surprises me. The 'one of the best concerts I've ever seen' comment was what sparked me saying all this.
For me, I've seen at least 30 DMB shows I'd place above the D&F show. My favorite parts of my show were the D&T set, Dodo, and the SUAD liberation. All of which have more to do with DMB than D&F.

But of course, this is all subjective. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I definitely did love my MSG show. When I think about D&F, it takes me back to 2003, Some Devil, and being 18 years old, and all this rose-coloured stuff. I feel like that colours my enjoyment of the music.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #85
Mersh

I have seen over a hundred DMB shows and countless other shows and D+F was one of the best times I have had at a concert.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #86
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I have seen over a hundred DMB shows and countless other shows and D+F was one of the best times I have had at a concert.
This is where I'm at. Hands down.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #87
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
It wasn't just the performances. You have to remember there were two fanbases converging to witness these shows. I remember going in to 12/16/03 wondering what the crowd was going to be like. After the '01 tour, and this is just personal experience, the DMB crowds at shows started to become more insufferable. Not that I didn't have great experiences around that time but the jovial comradery between the Trey/Phish fans with the DMB fanbase ended up being the catalyst for a lot of enjoyment during that tour. The crowd of 12/19/03 was one of the best crowds I've ever been a part of and because of that it just elevated my personal experience, not to mention the show itself was a fucking blast.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #88
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
It wasn't just the performances. You have to remember there were two fanbases converging to witness these shows. I remember going in to 12/16/03 wondering what the crowd was going to be like. After the '01 tour, and this is just personal experience, the DMB crowds at shows started to become more insufferable. Not that I didn't have great experiences around that time but the jovial comradery between the Trey/Phish fans with the DMB fanbase ended up being the catalyst for a lot of enjoyment during that tour. The crowd of 12/19/03 was one of the best crowds I've ever been a part of and because of that it just elevated my personal experience, not to mention the show itself was a fucking blast.
You hit it. I was curious as to how it would be and everyone bought in greatly. Truly memorable stuff.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #89
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Good point. I wasn't a Phish fan at the time, so I didn't totally appreciate that aspect. This was also in my first full year of attending DMB shows.
From my experience since, Phish fans are definitely way more into Phish than DMB fans are into DMB.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #90
Mersh

I hadn’t heard a crowd as loud as the D+F crowds get to what was happening on stage since probably the run of Dec 98 shows I went to.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #91
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
You guys have touched on a lot of the things that made it great. The crowds were fantastic. I was about 8 rows behind Brady Blade at the All-State show, sitting next to a group of Phish fans. Everyone had a blast.

The structure of the night was cool, too. Dave and Tim coming out for about 40 minutes playing DMB songs (good DMB songs). Then full band for the some devil tunes + covers. My second favorite band is The Band so cripple creek was a lot of fun for me. Then Dave and Trey coming out acoustic to play phish and dmb songs, followed by full band to close out the night. Great fun all around.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #92
.Gary.

Do you want to end up like Dead and Company or do you want to be a JRAD?
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #93
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
Do you want to end up like Dead and Company or do you want to be a JRAD?
Jrad please!
Old 10-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #94
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
You can't go wrong with either 12/19, 12/20 or 12/22. Those last 3 shows of the December leg were incredible. Most of the shows were relatively similar set wise, I would not mind getting a 3 disc compilation of the best versions from that Winter tour. I think that would be a better use of a release than just one show.

I would add 12.17.03 onto that list as well.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #95
willndmb

Quote:
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
DMb has 200 plus song catalog and tons of their own tunes. D+F is one album of material, so there had to be covers.
Exactly
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc