These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #161
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
he gets pretty fuckin' rough at the end. show is a bit of a slopfest.
Yeah. I figured when I listened to the show, the performances would help me understand the choice. But there's really nothing that makes this worthy of an LT, especially with the other Fall 1998 releases we've gotten which are so much better.

The end of Stay feels almost accidental. It just kinda ends with a weird whimper. Jeez, a pretty dull Jimi Thing too. The last several minutes just drag on and on.

Last edited by Tomacco; 10-10-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:23 AM   #162
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah. I figured when I listened to the show, the performances would help me understand the choice. But there's really nothing that makes this worthy of an LT, especially with the other Fall 1998 releases we've gotten which are so much better.

The end of Stay feels almost accidental. It just kinda ends with a weird whimper. Jeez, a pretty dull Jimi Thing too. The last several minutes just drag on and on.
Some of the endings are so unconfident. Crush ends in a whimper, but then Carter brings it back and that is a pretty baller moment. But if I were listening for the Rate a Show thread? ** 1/2.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #163
sean52692
You failed this band

I really enjoyed this.

Seek Up Heartbeat Intro PNP Rapunzel - I'll take a 98 version of that any day. Early Crash, interesting set choice. This Minarets is a personal favorite, a lot of extra stuff from Dave that I really enjoy. Carter has some nice moments in Crush and Jimi. Billies and Too Much are absolutely smokin' and this IBYU is absolutely beautiful.

I don't need all shows to be 20 songs and 2.5 hours and this one length wise is pretty par for the course in Fall 98. There are still, however, 15-20 more shows I want released from that tour.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #164
Mersh

Yeah. I have listened to the show a couple times now and bits and pieces here and there and I donít understand this choice. Not a great show...maybe not even a good show by fall 98 standards.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #165
Mersh

It is always nice to have something from this tour, but not sure why this one made the cut.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #166
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Yeah. I have listened to the show a couple times now and bits and pieces here and there and I donít understand this choice. Not a great show...maybe not even a good show by fall 98 standards.
Of all things they could have done. Even by DMB standards, piss poor release.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #167
patsfan39

Havent gotten it yet, but this feedback sucks to hear.

Im still hopeful this release may speak to me differently than you guys.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #168
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

Quote:
Yeah. I have listened to the show a couple times now and bits and pieces here and there and I don’t understand this choice. Not a great show...maybe not even a good show by fall 98 standards.
I agree. By fall 98 standards, this one is a dud although I did enjoy Seek Up > Rapunzel and DDTW.

Who ever has been mixing the last 10 volumes or so has been on fire. This show has a little of an odd sounding mix, but I wish they'd go back and remix and re-release LT 1 and LT2... even LT 7 which could use a better mix if at all possible
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #169
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Yeah. I have listened to the show a couple times now and bits and pieces here and there and I don’t understand this choice. Not a great show...maybe not even a good show by fall 98 standards.
Quote:
It is always nice to have something from this tour, but not sure why this one made the cut.
Agree on all of that. I was excited to buy this on friday, and definitely enjoyed it, but more of a pick. It’s like someone wanted to pick the worst fall ‘98. I would be really curious to know the reasoning behind this one. We already have the show before and it is so much better. They will always get my money with picks of this era, but they should have done better.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #170
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Agree on all of that. I was excited to buy this on friday, and definitely enjoyed it, but more of a pick. It’s like someone wanted to pick the worst fall ‘98. I would be really curious to know the reasoning behind this one. We already have the show before and it is so much better. They will always get my money with picks of this era, but they should have done better.
It is a bit head scratching, it's almost like they just picked a random show out of a hat or something, because there's really nothing notable with this show where you'd be like, "yeah, we should definitely release this."

What I'm thinking is that maybe they had already mixed this with 10/31 when they were putting that out, maybe the original plan was to put them out together and then they decided to wait, and since this was already mixed they went with it. That's the only semi-logical explanation that comes to mind.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #171
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It’s like someone wanted to pick the worst fall ‘98.
I think you might be onto something. Kinda like a: "Hey, these assholes clamor for Fall '98, let's give it to them, but in the most unspectacular fashion, and see how much they still bitch. Then, get ready for the holiday Live Trax......they wanted 12/7, so let's give it to them! 12/7/18!"
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #172
batleon

I guess my initial instincts about this were right, kinda happy I didn't buy. Hope we get something good for the holiday but considering they just went to the Fall '98 well here I'm expecting a 4.0 pick next which would be disappointing... They usually put out at least one good release a year that gets me but it hasn't happened yet in 2020.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #173
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I guess my initial instincts about this were right, kinda happy I didn't buy. Hope we get something good for the holiday but considering they just went to the Fall '98 well here I'm expecting a 4.0 pick next which would be disappointing... They usually put out at least one good release a year that gets me but it hasn't happened yet in 2020.
I hope they do something more special. I think with all the recent 4.0 shows we got via the Drive-In shows as well as Sirius, knowing the fanbase is pining something for the holidays, I hope they dig a little deeper for LT54. I'll be happy with anything as long as it's not a 18/19 show honestly. I'd gladly take a random 3.0 show even. Won't get my hopes up for '00 or something we all want, but I'm optimistic it won't be a throwaway pick.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #174
dancetheham

Maybe the message with this pick is "See? This is why we got rid of Boyd."
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #175
celluloid hero

On second listen, I'll bump it to a ***. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't want a different one, but in a vacuum, it's a fine listen.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #176
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

i mean, yeah, it's totally random, but it's only a bad choice if they kill the LT series right now and that's the last thing we get.

in a sense, i like being able to compare and contrast with how much more confident they sounded later in the tour.

and judging this on how Boyd sounds is pointless: he sounded like complete ass the whole 98 tour.

anyway, would rather have this than not. again, $12.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #177
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #178
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
i mean, yeah, it's totally random, but it's only a bad choice if they kill the LT series right now and that's the last thing we get.

in a sense, i like being able to compare and contrast with how much more confident they sounded later in the tour.

and judging this on how Boyd sounds is pointless: he sounded like complete ass the whole 98 tour.

The sad truth about '98 that we never really talk about. I love that 11/30/98 dmblive release but Boyd's LIOG solo is horrific.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #179
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I love that 11/30/98 dmblive release but Boyd's LIOG solo is horrific.
Sure is, but they buried in that mix quite a bit.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #180
gweeps
homesick android

No LIOG solo will ever be as atrocious as that one from 1999. That's super incompetence.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc