These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #81
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 18,820
Digging this release a lot more than I thought I would. It's a great Tim Reynolds showcase. Excellent mix - I think Carter sounds nice and crisp. Dave's guitar comes through nicely. Some of the tunes they used to play into the ground, they don't play as much anymore - BBN, Spaceman Cornbread, If Only, Save Me, and Stolen Away - so those weren't bad to give a re-listen to.
__________________
Currently listening to:
2/16/96, Pepin Gymnasium, Middlebury, VT
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #82
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 27,412
I'm still surprised they haven't tried If Only with Buddy at least once.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #83
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I'm still surprised they haven't tried If Only with Buddy at least once.
I agree, but I'm sure that they will eventually. Sometimes, it takes them a little bit of time to realize the obvious .
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #84
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 24,107
Just started this. The mix is really good.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #85
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 24,107
You can hear Boyd struggling several times throughout this show. He's having trouble holding a note smoothly. You can hear the bow skipping across the strings, choppily.

I still don't get why they picked this show.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #86
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 23,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
You can hear Boyd struggling several times throughout this show. He's having trouble holding a note smoothly. You can hear the bow skipping across the strings, choppily.

I still don't get why they picked this show.
Yup. He dropped the bow a couple of times too. You could tell he was in bad shape. This is when I thought he had a medical condition because he seemed to weak and had lost all of his muscle definition.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #87
soright05
 
soright05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,371
If Only is such a groovy song, they need to play it
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #88
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 24,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Yup. He dropped the bow a couple of times too. You could tell he was in bad shape. This is when I thought he had a medical condition because he seemed to weak and had lost all of his muscle definition.
He addressed it at the time and mentioned he had carpel tunnel surgery or something.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #89
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by soright05 View Post
If Only is such a groovy song, they need to play it
Eh, it's pretty boring live. They should let Jeff solo on it at the end at least and don't drag it on for song long either. They literally fade it out for like 3 full minutes. Many songs I'd much rather hear. But if they keep it tight to the studio version with some Jeff at the end I'd dig it.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #90
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Eh, it's pretty boring live. They should let Jeff solo on it at the end at least and don't drag it on for song long either. They literally fade it out for like 3 full minutes. Many songs I'd much rather hear. But if they keep it tight to the studio version with some Jeff at the end I'd dig it.
Mass exodus live song.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #91
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 24,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Eh, it's pretty boring live. They should let Jeff solo on it at the end at least and don't drag it on for song long either. They literally fade it out for like 3 full minutes. Many songs I'd much rather hear. But if they keep it tight to the studio version with some Jeff at the end I'd dig it.
Check out the 7/19/13 version. Carlos Malta plays a sax solo over the end jam. Really solid. That end section definitely needs a solo.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #92
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Mass exodus live song.
Id love getting the song because id be able to leave and go to the bathroom, get another beer and be back in my seat by the end.

Actually staying and watching it live is another thing. That song is boring as hell.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #93
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,443
After talking about the song, it got stuck in my head and decided to listen to it. Its better than i remember but it still doesnt hold up next to a song like Sugar Will or even Spaceman. It just pales in comparison in every way.

Also, boyd playing on this song just kinda makes me laugh.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #94
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,748
Live Trax 52 - June 06, 2014 | Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME (07.31.20)

If onskree I could have you just the way I want to.

What does that need, an umlaut?

Anyhow, I like If Only
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #95
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,913
I liked that If Only with the Tower of Power guy. I think from Tampa maybe?
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #96
soright05
 
soright05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I liked that If Only with the Tower of Power guy. I think from Tampa maybe?
Yup, just watch that on YouTube today
It was a 2013 warm up video
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #97
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I liked that If Only with the Tower of Power guy. I think from Tampa maybe?

Oh yea. I remember that guest spot now. It was pretty cool.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:42 AM   #98
DIDO36
 
DIDO36's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I'm still surprised they haven't tried If Only with Buddy at least once.
Itís a blessing they havenít. Its such a boring song live IMO. I have sat down the few times I have seen it. Iím just not a fan of them bringing back a bunch sub par song in rotation. Want to bring back Dreaming Tree, Crazy Easy, Snow Outside, Busted Stuff, or even something like Mother Father, thatís great! Bringing back something like If Only , Bismarck, or Eh Hee sounds really meh to me. Just puts more bad songs into rotation along with the bad songs they already play.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #99
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Itís a blessing they havenít. Its such a boring song live IMO. I have sat down the few times I have seen it. Iím just not a fan of them bringing back a bunch sub par song in rotation. Want to bring back Dreaming Tree, Crazy Easy, Snow Outside, Busted Stuff, or even something like Mother Father, thatís great! Bringing back something like If Only , Bismarck, or Eh Hee sounds really meh to me. Just puts more bad songs into rotation along with the bad songs they already play.
Couldn't agree more.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #100
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 24,107
They just need to swap out some recently overplayed songs.

Replace Space Between with If Only for a year.
Replace Rooftop with Snow Outside for a year.
Replace Shake Me with Belly Belly Nice for a year.
Replace Space Between with Crazy Easy for a year.
Replace Do You Remember with Bismarck for a year.
Replace Don't Drink the Water with Mother Father for a year.
Replace Louisiana Bayou with Kit Kat Jam for a year.
Replace Why I Am with Eh Hee for a year.
Replace You Might Die Trying with American Baby for a year.
Replace Funny the Way It Is with Beach Ball for a year.
Replace Sister with A Dream So Real forever.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05190 seconds with 16 queries