These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #41
K270
Kan Pai

The craziness continues at the small grocery store I work for. On a regular day, we do around $35,000. On Thursday we did $60,000. On Friday, just before 4pm, we had already done $50,000. By the time the store closed at 9pm, we over $100,000 in sales. Thats just for one day. Its fucking crazy. Thankfully no fights since we're out of sanitizer and TP.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:35 AM   #42
gweeps
homesick android

People probably also don't think about the time it will take to restock.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #43
mja271

We were supposed to go on vacation to Hawaii in a week but are moving the trip now. Totally sucks but feel it’s definitely the right thing to do at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #44
Bluewater34
Is Old

Yeah, one of my friends from work was supposed to be going to Disney World next week with her family. They’re totally heartbroken.

I came across this quote this morning. I think it gives things a little perspective.

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate."

Michael O. Leavitt, U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, 2007
Old 03-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #45
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I came across this quote this morning. I think it gives things a little perspective.

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate."

Michael O. Leavitt, U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, 2007
Old 03-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #46
jeff1818

2021 can’t come soon enough.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #47
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
So my kids are out of school for three weeks starting Monday, and we found out today that my wife, who is currently head of HR while her boss is on paternity leave, is considered ďessential staffĒ and canít work from home. Which means that starting next week I have to try to take care of two kids (as long as the daycares donít close and I end up with three) while doing my job from home. So thatís a fucking nightmare.
Itís weird to see all these schools getting canceled when most experts seem to say that is a bad idea. 38% of nurses have school aged children. Youíre going to break families living paycheck to paycheck if they have to stay home to care for their kids. What happens when April 1st comes and there is no money for rent or food. Also, a lot of families are food insecure anyway, and those kids only eat at school. Finally, kids seem to not be effected by the virus. I guess a lot of teachers are over 60.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #48
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Less than a year ago. So much winning...

[Only registered users can see links.]

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #49
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

COVID-19/Coronavirus: When The World Ends

Can’t say I’d be disappointed to see Trump taken by this thing, what with all his horribly inadequate and unbelievably incompetent selfish dumb-fuckery. And how perfectly ironic.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #50
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Itís weird to see all these schools getting canceled when most experts seem to say that is a bad idea. 38% of nurses have school aged children. Youíre going to break families living paycheck to paycheck if they have to stay home to care for their kids. What happens when April 1st comes and there is no money for rent or food. Also, a lot of families are food insecure anyway, and those kids only eat at school. Finally, kids seem to not be effected by the virus. I guess a lot of teachers are over 60.
I havenít seen anyone say that itís a bad idea to close the schools. The reasoning Iíve seen is simply that kids are carriers and schools are huge vectors for those carriers to come in contact with each other. I mean, I completely sympathize with the fact that itís going to be really difficult for a lot of families, obviously, because Iím in one of them, but if weíre trying to contain the spread, that reasoning makes sense to me.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #51
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Old 03-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #52
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Coronavirus Response Act:

Old 03-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #53
morgadt

No TP in Austin it seems like. But HEB put a 2 item limit on water so that’s pretty easy to get.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #54
Josh.0

Posted this in another thread, but it’s more appropriate here:

—————

So for the last 72 hours I’ve been sick AF. I have all of the symptoms except for a fever, and I’m not sure if it’s a bad cold or COVID-19. I don’t feel so bad that I think I need hospitalization, but I definitely have on-again off-again headaches, moderate respiratory issues, a dry cough, and massive bouts of fatigue that come and go (last few days I’ve passed out 2-3 times a day for an hour out of nowhere).

Obviously I’ve self-quarantined. I emailed my physician a couple days ago and he said he wasn’t sure if it is COVID-19 but to “seek hospitalization if respiratory issues intensify.” Aka, I think they really don’t want to take people unless they’re in serious, serious condition. If I were to bet, I think I have it, as does my housemate (he slept through Sunday and Monday after flying last week and low and behold I was doing the same by Thursday).

I’d get tested, but the testing spots are overloaded and the waits are hours upon hours long. Plus, if I get tested and don’t have it, I worry I’d expose myself to people that do and obviously my immune system is currently compromised. This sucks.

Staying home for two weeks from Wednesday, which was when I started to first notice some minor symptoms. If this is COVID-19 as I suspect, I can tell you this: if you’re young and healthy, it will feel like a very severe cold. If it’s not, I just happen to have a severe cold right now.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #55
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Hang in there man. That sounds brutal. Hopefully tests are more easily accessible soon.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #56
Bluewater34
Is Old

Keep us posted. We’re pulling for you!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #57
Josh.0

Thanks guys, I’m sure based on how I currently feel that I’ll be fine, I already feel a little better today than I did yesterday, which was the worst day. It came on fast, I remember feeling pretty tired Tuesday night but not at all sick, a little raspy Wednesday night, and by Thursday I felt like I’d been hit by a train. Then yesterday I spent 10 minutes doing basic, low-effort maintenance on my bike that absolutely FLOORED me. I passed out for almost three hours after that mid-afternoon, then slept 10 hours last night, so clearly my immune system is a wreck at the moment.

Today I’m very congested and dry coughing still but the throat pain has mostly cleared and my breathing isn’t too bad. I also haven’t hit a wall yet where I feel like I need a ton of sleep.

There’s no way there aren’t tens of millions of people infected as I write this. No way. I also teach yoga and a bunch of our teachers (we have hundreds in Denver) in town are sending emails out notifying everyone that they’re self-quarantining for two weeks. A LOT of people are sick here.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #58
dmb2much40

My friend is a vice principal at a school here in Ohio and said school may be canceled for the rest of the year. Another friend that is an ER nurse said this thing may hang around for the rest of 2020. Sounds like this thing is way worse than people realize and I’m not in a hot spot. Or am I? Going to wash my hands...
Old 03-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #59
gweeps
homesick android

Went to four stores. No TP. Good grief. Thankfully I usually have a couple dozen kicking around.

Hope it's just a bad cold, Josh. I had one earlier this year that lasted for weeks. I actually had some chills and fever though.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #60
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
My friend is a vice principal at a school here in Ohio and said school may be canceled for the rest of the year. Another friend that is an ER nurse said this thing may hang around for the rest of 2020. Sounds like this thing is way worse than people realize and Iím not in a hot spot. Or am I? Going to wash my hands...
I just read that the CDC is now saying that 8 weeks is going to be a better amount of time for schools to be closed. So if youíve got kids in school, itís looking more likely that youíre right. The school year very well might be over.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc