These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #12121
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I agree with this except they did that exactly with Busted Stuff and while itís really great, a lot of people thought the album sounded kind of flat. I think probably a good combo of live recording and post production is probably best.
BS isn's a fair comparison either because they were distancing themselves from LWS when they re-recorded those songs. I think it had as much to do with having the LWS debacle behind them as it did with actually making recordings with depth. Let's face it, I think DMB (and Dave in general) equates "good times" in the studio with acceptable and quality product. As we all know, there are many times that relatable art results from a difficult and sometimes emotionally taxing process. The sessions with Lillywhite on what we now call the LWS are now known to be riddled with discontent, but I think anyone who has compared those results with Busted Stuff can say without a shadow of a doubt that those takes ooze pain and difficulty, which is what makes them good. From Busted Stuff on, we have gotten not what DMB was capable of, but what DMB has, as a collective whole, felt was indicative of a joyful creative process. That has not rendered memorable results.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #12122
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
I agree with this except they did that exactly with Busted Stuff and while itís really great, a lot of people thought the album sounded kind of flat. I think probably a good combo of live recording and post production is probably best.
I'm talking a fully live album with blemishes and all included. Busted Stuff has some obvious edits in it, like during a climactic part of Bartender. No one does this anymore. No one has the balls to. Even super "talented" scremo/metal bands that play ridiculously technical music use drum triggers and pocket every instrument into oblivion. I'm talking live, recorded to tape, run what ya brung music. You'd capture emotion and creativity and you'd get the only good thing DMB has to offer.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #12123
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
I'm talking a fully live album with blemishes and all included. Busted Stuff has some obvious edits in it, like during a climactic part of Bartender. No one does this anymore. No one has the balls to. Even super "talented" scremo/metal bands that play ridiculously technical music use drum triggers and pocket every instrument into oblivion. I'm talking live, recorded to tape, run what ya brung music. You'd capture emotion and creativity and you'd get the only good thing DMB has to offer.
Yeah well that’s not going to happen. Plus, just listen to their live shows if that’s what you want. To me, studio album should be a different thing than the live experience. I’m not sure why DMB has been so dull and ineffective in the studio throughout their career, but they’ve tried many different producers and different processes and nothing has clicked. I’m not sure what they need to do at this point. Maybe They need to find another Lillywhite that knows how to produce them at this point in their career, Im just not sure who that person is.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:39 AM   #12124
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Yeah well thatís not going to happen. Plus, just listen to their live shows if thatís what you want. To me, studio album should be a different thing than the live experience. Iím not sure why DMB has been so dull and ineffective in the studio throughout their career, but theyíve tried many different producers and different processes and nothing has clicked. Iím not sure what they need to do at this point. Maybe They need to find another Lillywhite that knows how to produce them at this point in their career, Im just not sure who that person is.

The only other producer who I can think of that has similar credibility to Lillywhite is Lanois.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #12125
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
The only other producer who I can think of that has similar credibility to Lillywhite is Lanois.
The need to attach solid outro's to every song they lay down and have a producer that knows them well to produce. Simple. Writing shorter songs and eliminating proper outro's is embarrassingly bad. They ruined everything that made them great. Dave fkd up bad back in 2001.

Eg: Broken Things was screaming for an aggressive outro.. and it just stopped. Pathetic.

He wants to be this singer/songwriter but he's not. His band is as important as he is. And he eliminated them from the studio 19 years ago.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #12126
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
The need to attach solid outro's to every song they lay down and have a producer that knows them well to produce. Simple. Writing shorter songs and eliminating proper outro's is embarrassingly bad. They ruined everything that made them great. Dave fkd up bad back in 2001.

Eg: Broken Things was screaming for an aggressive outro.. and it just stopped. Pathetic.

He wants to be this singer/songwriter but he's not. His band is as important as he is. And he eliminated them from the studio 19 years ago.
Not every song needs to be 6-7 minutes with an outro but they should do more than what they have been doing.

Broken Things was perfectly fine as it was and left room for them to expand it live.

Mercy had the right idea but they didnt do enough in the outro to the song. Same with Drunken Soldier. That should have some Jimi Thing type jamming on it.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #12127
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Not every song needs to be 6-7 minutes with an outro but they should do more than what they have been doing.

Broken Things was perfectly fine as it was and left room for them to expand it live.

Mercy had the right idea but they didnt do enough in the outro to the song. Same with Drunken Soldier. That should have some Jimi Thing type jamming on it.
Have to disagree with you my man. I want 6 mins songs eight days a week. Something to listen to!! Broken Things should have been ala Rapunzel to open that album.

Although, I do agree DS should have been worked out live. Playing it exactly the same every time is lame.

Last edited by dmb1981; 09-26-2020 at 10:32 PM.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #12128
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Come Tomorrow (LP 9) Album Discussion Thread (June 8, 2018)

#BlackandBlueBirdBlueBalls
#AgainandAgainCastration
#BkdkdkdkdkShouldveBeenTheCTKKJ
#SoMuchSubparFiller
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #12129
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Have to disagree with you my man. I want 6 mins songs eight days a week. Something to listen to!! Broken Things should have been ala Rapunzel to open that album.

Although, I do agree DS should have been worked out live. Playing it exactly the same every time is lame.
Nope. Broken things is one of the few good things about that album
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #12130
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Nope. Broken things is one of the few good things about that album
Of course it is. Itís my fav on the album. Would have been better with 2 mins of music attached to it.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc