These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Bluewater34
Is Old

20 Years of Under the Table and Dreaming

Under the Table and Dreaming came out on September 27, 1994, twenty years ago today, on the day I turned 16 years old. Like many of you, UTTAD was my introduction to the band, and therefore has a special place in my heart. I thought we could spend a thread reminiscing about and discussing DMB's first (pretty much) and probably second best album.

I didn't buy UTTAD the day it came out or anything. In fact, when I did buy it it was almost an afterthought. I wasn't a fan of what was at that time called "Alternative" rock, with Nirvana, Pearl Jam and their imitators, in fact I wasn't really passionate about any music right then. I was becoming disenchanted with the early-90s Hip-Hop that I had loved, but that was in the process run over by Gangsta Rap. I was listening mostly to Classic Rock, principally Led Zeppelin and not a lot else. I hadn't really found a new sound that I loved.

In spring '95, my high school band went on a cruise to the Bahamas (officially it was a competition, but nobody cared about that aspect). In preparation for the trip I decided to buy a couple of new CDs to listen to on the plane and during down time. I can't remember what the two that I initially pick out were, but as I was headed up to pay I saw UTTAD and remembered that I had really enjoyed the videos for What Would You Say and Ants Marching. This was something undeniably, almost anachronistically, different, and I thought that I might as well grab it. I put it in my CD player when the plane took off, and didn't take it out for the entire trip.

The songwriting, the arrangements, the musicianship, everything grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. I loved the acoustic guitar, the sax (which was my instrument) and of course, the drumming. Listening to it today, I'm still blown away by how immediate the album feels. Aside from the airiness of the production, the guitars (that wonderful two guitar attack, pushed full left and full right in the mix) sound like they're right there. It sounds like a group of really good musicians sitting in your room and playing songs that were totally unlike anything the 16 year old me had ever heard. Really, they're still unlike anything else out there. It was a perfect intersection of band, producer and songs. It's why I'm a fan today.

What's your UTTAD memory? What's your favorite, or least favorite, part of the album? How fucking good is that Jimi?

It's also the 20th anniversary of another of my favorite albums, Ruby Vroom, by the way.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

nice article from Relix looking back at UTTAD:

[Only registered users can see links.]
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
TheNoise

I heard Crash as my first exposure to DMB, older sister played it in the car. Was spring of 97. I took her copy and listened to it on repeat for about two weeks until my birthday when she bought me UTTAD.

Loved Crash, everything about it, and to have an entirely new (to me) album to experience and discover with all those same qualities was something I'll remember for a long time. No going back after that span of 3-4 weeks.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
gweeps
homesick android

It took me years to like any live version of Jimi. But I always loved the studio version. Sadly, I was too busy in the 90s to get around to DMB, though I had heard of them. Listening to tons of other music of course. But good music is timeless, right?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post

Just read that in the other thread. I hope we someday get to hear that Granny and Get In Line. I'd also be interested to hear some of those Lillywhite mixes.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

^ word is that will never happen.....I joke. Just read the four page article on Relix...that's how you write. Comprehensive, knowledgable and offering new insight.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Mitch

Released on my 25th birthday (yup, I turn 45 today )

Like I said in another thread recently, this is the album that started it all for me with this band. I had heard about them from some Dead/Phish fans, went to a record store in Florida that let you listen to a CD before you bought it, listened to BOWA and purchased that motherfucker.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
Mitch

Bluewater34, we're birthday brothers

Have a great day tomorrow
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

You too! Happy birthday!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:

Great, great read
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I'll prefer to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Under The Table & Drumming thank you very much.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
In spring '95, my high school band went on a cruise to the Bahamas (officially it was a competition, but nobody cared about that aspect). In preparation for the trip I decided to buy a couple of new CDs to listen to on the plane and during down time. I can't remember what the two that I initially pick out were, but as I was headed up to pay I saw UTTAD and remembered that I had really enjoyed the videos for What Would You Say and Ants Marching. This was something undeniably, almost anachronistically, different, and I thought that I might as well grab it. I put it in my CD player when the plane took off, and didn't take it out for the entire trip.

The songwriting, the arrangements, the musicianship, everything grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. I loved the acoustic guitar, the sax (which was my instrument) and of course, the drumming. Listening to it today, I'm still blown away by how immediate the album feels. Aside from the airiness of the production, the guitars (that wonderful two guitar attack, pushed full left and full right in the mix) sound like they're right there. It sounds like a group of really good musicians sitting in your room and playing songs that were totally unlike anything the 16 year old me had ever heard. Really, they're still unlike anything else out there. It was a perfect intersection of band, producer and songs. It's why I'm a fan today.

What's your UTTAD memory? What's your favorite, or least favorite, part of the album? How fucking good is that Jimi?

It's also the 20th anniversary of another of my favorite albums, Ruby Vroom, by the way.
I discovered them in a similar way. I was on a band trip in the Spring of '95 and fell in love with that album on the bus ride home. I was a fan of the grunge bands, but an album had never moved me like UTTAD did. It's still my favorite DMB album, even though I won't argue with anyone who says BTCS is the best.

Nancies and Jimi were my initial favorites.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Good article from Relix.

I'll never forget receiving UTTAD and Red Rocks from the jolly man in the red suit.

The ending run from this album is, I believe, the most important and transcendent run of studio tracks they've put together. When all of the live material starts to overwhelm your brain, this is the studio album I turn to in order to 'hit the reset button', if you will.

The skeletal origins of so much of their outstanding material, and sometimes is required listening in order to re-calibrate my experience listening to the live stuff.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
TheNoise

Lillywhite on twitter:

i would like them to release my original mixes which no-one ever heard...

Then someone asks why someone else did a mix and he said "it was the fashion in 1994"
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Lillywhite on twitter:

i would like them to release my original mixes which no-one ever heard...

Then someone asks why someone else did a mix and he said "it was the fashion in 1994"
Awesome. Hope that happens, along with the outtakes.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Happy anniversary of your escapes from the womb(s)!
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
cryfreedom09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

Happy birthday to both of you and to UTTAD. Really hope we get a reissued uttad with lots of accompanying goodies (unreleased studio cuts and a 94 live trax)
cryfreedom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
sean52692
You failed this band

Roi's flute on Typical....goosebumps every time.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
Mersh

comments section of the relix article has some funny stuff...Dave has gotten better lyrically and is sent from GOD!
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
TheNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Roi's flute on Typical....goosebumps every time.
Yeah. Typical is pretty flawless on UTTAD. I'm listening to the album with really good headphones right now.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc