Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #101
Tomacco

In a weird way, 6/26/11 has always felt like my recent CP
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:59 AM   #102
dmb2much40

Standard set sure, but performance wise is flawless. They were on fire that whole month.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #103
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I wonder what a 2021 Central Park setlist would look like. My guess would be something like this:

Seek Up One Sweet World
Anyone Seen the Bridge >
Too Much
Louisiana Bayou
Satellite
Minarets
Do You Remember
Crush
Sledgehammer
Dancing Nancies >
Warehouse
Samurai Cop
Grey Street
Why I Am
You Might Die Trying
Typical Situation Come Tomorrow
Cornbread
Everyday >
Ants Marching
Fixed.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #104
dmb448

Such a great show!
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #105
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Fixed.
Nailed it.

Though, for me, 4.0 "Central Park" show would include:

That Girl is You
One Sweet World
Louisiana Bayou
Satellite
You Might Die Trying
Do You Remember
Burning Down the House
Anyone Seen the Bridge
Too Much
Here On Out +
Everyday
Seven
What Would You Say
Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin)
Don't Drink the Water
Jimi Thing
Grey Street

You & Me
Why I Am
Watchtower
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #106
dmb1981

You're not wrong. And ouch. Wow.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #107
Hopper

I know I’m in the minority, but this isn’t even a top-10 DMB release for me. Compared to the rest of the ‘03 tour, this just seems bland. Besides DDTW and Cortez, I haven’t listened to this show in full since probably ‘04. Just does nothing for me.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #108
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
I know Iím in the minority, but this isnít even a top-10 DMB release for me. Compared to the rest of the Ď03 tour, this just seems bland. Besides DDTW and Cortez, I havenít listened to this show in full since probably Ď04. Just does nothing for me.
Youíre right, in the minority.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #109
greykitkat36

Quote:
I know I’m in the minority, but this isn’t even a top-10 DMB release for me. Compared to the rest of the ‘03 tour, this just seems bland. Besides DDTW and Cortez, I haven’t listened to this show in full since probably ‘04. Just does nothing for me.
Definitley disagree, it's a fantastic show with many songs being played the best they've ever been played. It's about the best "greatest hits" type setlist they could put together. People complained at the time, but we'd never ever get a set like that today, this was a greatest hits before all the "subpar bad albums". All-time versions of DDTW, Cortez, SMTS > Too Much, Nancies, Two Step, Jimi, Warehouse etc. Not sure how you can be a DMB fan and not like this show.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:34 AM   #110
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Definitley disagree, it's a fantastic show with many songs being played the best they've ever been played. It's about the best "greatest hits" type setlist they could put together. People complained at the time, but we'd never ever get a set like that today, this was a greatest hits before all the "subpar bad albums". All-time versions of DDTW, Cortez, SMTS > Too Much, Nancies, Two Step, Jimi, Warehouse etc. Not sure how you can be a DMB fan and not like this show.
It's well played, no doubt, but yeah, considering all the deeper cuts played in '03, just doesn't really warrant much replay. Probably a good starter live album for a new fan, though.

I've been listening to a ton of fall '98, and a lot of those songs you mentioned were defined for me then.. Pick any DDTW with Tim and Bela and for me it blows the butch versions away.

With the exception of the early '08 Crush's with Roi and Tim dueling, same for crush in '98 vs the later ones. I love that song as a shorter, barely 10 minute Tim feature vs the bloated later versions. Same with two step for that matter (although the extended tim/Bela versions of course are amazing.)

Last edited by jsandr; 10-01-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: 1998.
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:44 AM   #111
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
It's well played, no doubt, but yeah, considering all the deeper cuts played in '03, just doesn't really warrant much replay. Probably a good starter live album for a new fan, though.

I've been listening to a ton of fall '08, and a lot of those songs you mentioned were defined for me then.. Pick any DDTW with Tim and Bela and for me it blows the butch versions away.
Sure, but to me they became a different band in '08. If you want solid Core 5 DMB songs played almost flawlessly, CP is the show. Dave's voice is spot on the whole night, and his improv in Nancies and Jimi is peak Dave imo.

It's not a show for hardcore deep cuts, but I don't HAVE to have a bunch of those to enjoy a show. There's a shitload of great '95 shows with no deep cuts either just solidly played. And I'd argue at that time Help Myself, Rhyme and Cortez were 100% deep cuts and Cortez was an incredible bust out. They easily could have just played Billies, Satellite or Crash in those slots instead, and chose to throw us a bone knowing full well most people in attendance were not hardcore fans.

Also, a lot of the "deep" cuts the band busted out that Summer sounded pretty bad. Boyd was terrible in June, and stuff like DT, Spoon, Last Stop were all lacking what they had in years prior. If there's a better '03 show, it would be another one from September in terms of performance, and most of those shows didn't dig that deep, but they had hit their stride.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #112
ThememanXX

Quote:
I know Iím in the minority, but this isnít even a top-10 DMB release for me. Compared to the rest of the Ď03 tour, this just seems bland. Besides DDTW and Cortez, I havenít listened to this show in full since probably Ď04. Just does nothing for me.
I get this take. I can appreciate the CP show for what it is: an extremely well-played, iconic venue show with a pretty fantastic setlist that reaches all fans.

I also get that you could find 10 shows in September, 2003 that I'd rather have released. That was such a great month for the band.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #113
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I was there and agree. It was a fun time, nothing I ever go back and listen to however.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #114
patsfan39

Central Park is a fantastic show. Its 100% a starter album for a new fan, but also if youre going to have people over in the fall for a BBQ or whatever thats perfect to put on in the background. Stellar versions of every song played, and nothing that takes a turn into weird territory.

Warehouse is a perfect example of a song that is just so purely played. It might not be the best DMB version of the song, but its a fantastic version of a song people could listen to and enjoy.

This version of Watchtower is an all timer, the Jimi Thing is top tier as well, Dont Drink has gotten a lot of praise in this thread and its well deserved, I dont think enough people have mentioned Dancing Nancies, and the direct into to Ants works perfectly at this show.

Midset Ants, Two Step, Too Much, Warehouse, and even Grey Street to a lesser extent really are what make this show jam packed with powerhouse songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #115
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Central Park is a fantastic show. Its 100% a starter album for a new fan, but also if youre going to have people over in the fall for a BBQ or whatever thats perfect to put on in the background. Stellar versions of every song played, and nothing that takes a turn into weird territory.
That Jimi scat is weird enough to turn off some people I imagine.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #116
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post

I've been listening to a ton of fall '08, and a lot of those songs you mentioned were defined for me then.. Pick any DDTW with Tim and Bela and for me it blows the butch versions away.

With the exception of the early '08 Crush's with Roi and Tim dueling, same for crush in '08 vs the later ones. I love that song as a shorter, barely 10 minute Tim feature vs the bloated later versions. Same with two step for that matter (although the extended tim/Bela versions of course are amazing.)
Im confused by your dates here. Youre saying 08 but i think youre talking about 98? Not much bela in 08 but wasnt butch there in fall 98 too? Im just overall confused by our comment.

Id guess this definitely changes GKK's reply if youre talking about 98. This board already agrees (recent poll) that they all enjoy any show from fall 98 more than most other shows (save for september 2000, or a few other tours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Sure, but to me they became a different band in '08. If you want solid Core 5 DMB songs played almost flawlessly, CP is the show. Dave's voice is spot on the whole night, and his improv in Nancies and Jimi is peak Dave imo.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 10-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #117
patsfan39

Quote:
This is going back 15 years now, but that Jimi was played out by my roommates at the time. They arent really DMB fans and loved the scat. The other songs they played the hell out of from that show were Cortez and Watchtower.

I think those are the big 3 that most non DMB fans enjoy, whereas we all point to DDTW, Granny, Warehouse, SM->TM, etc.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 10-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #118
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
It turns me off and I'm a longtime fan.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #119
ThememanXX

The Jimi "scat" was at it's best in 2004. All downhill from there.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #120
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

It, more times than not, made me feel uncomfortable
soups is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc