These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Humble Brags

It's humble brag time. This is the place to let others know you fucking kicked ass at work or in life.

Me today: I've been working on how to try and solve a website coding issue that my department wants. It's been extremely hard and I fucking figured it out today.

It feels mighty fine and now I'm sipping on some hot tea because I'm 36 and my throat is itchy.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Pop some acetaminophen and chug that tea, you've earned it! (But really, that's such a good feeling. Nice job.)
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Pop some acetaminophen and chug that tea, you've earned it! (But really, that's such a good feeling. Nice job.)
thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
Garntd

nice!! always good when you finally figure out a problem.

Me: A few weeks ago, I reached out to Cam Jordan from the Saints on instagram asking if he'd join my class on zoom and he private messaged me that we'd figure it out. Last week, we were able to make it work and he spoke to my students for 30 minutes and it was awesome.
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post

Me: A few weeks ago, I reached out to Cam Jordan from the Saints on instagram asking if he'd join my class on zoom and he private messaged me that we'd figure it out. Last week, we were able to make it work and he spoke to my students for 30 minutes and it was awesome.
Sweetness.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
jeff1818

While Covid and unemployment suck big time (of which I am unemployed), I have 5 phone call / zoom interviews in the next few days. Some I'm over-qualified for, some I'm under-qualified for and some might be just right. I'm smoking the job market right now. Foot on the gas, as I say.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
While Covid and unemployment suck big time (of which I am unemployed), I have 5 phone call / zoom interviews in the next few days. Some I'm over-qualified for, some I'm under-qualified for and some might be just right. I'm smoking the job market right now. Foot on the gas, as I say.
niiiice!
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Sweet! You got this!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
Josh.0

Quote:
Hang in there brother, I know and understand your pain. It’s brutal, I don’t think people that didn’t lose their positions know just how bad it really is and how insanely competitive the market is. Like I was telling a friend, you can’t have 8 or 9/10 skills listed in a posting right now (as most people can normally get away with if they interview well), you’ve gotta have 15/10 and be friends with someone close to the hiring manager. Then you gotta be prepared for 2-3 month interview processes in many industries. THEN you have to be prepared to earn far below your pre-COVID market value (because you have no leverage to negotiate your salary with 8,000 people behind you waiting to take the job for less). It’s awful, but all you can do is grind and you’ll get there.

I think the smartest people right now are using this time of suckage to develop new skills that they can market/use on the other side. If you’re gonna eat shit for a while you might as well eat a little extra if it means developing new skills and experience that you can leverage in the years ahead.

It’ll all work out

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
jeff1818

Thanks. I've been learning some new skills, although not fully. I took a few lessons on SQL (as it's a skill mentioned in many job posts). You're right about the # of skills. They want someone who can do everything. Which is BS but ya gotta play the game. The great thing is... If I don't have skill X mastered, there are so many great websites and connections to help get the knowledge. Give me a weekend and I'll figure anything out!
Old 10-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
jeff1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post

Kick-ass! It never hurts to try, right? Rock on!
Old 10-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Thanks. I've been learning some new skills, although not fully. I took a few lessons on SQL (as it's a skill mentioned in many job posts). You're right about the # of skills. They want someone who can do everything. Which is BS but ya gotta play the game. The great thing is... If I don't have skill X mastered, there are so many great websites and connections to help get the knowledge. Give me a weekend and I'll figure anything out!
Have you heard of Udemy? I've learned a lot from it, as I'm a self-starter and never took true coding classes....well, one semester of C++ in college and some HTML class in high school back in the day.

When I was applying for the job I have now, I went to Barnes and Noble and picked out a SQL book and started learning....same with Crystal Reports...

Anyway, this site has sales on the vids from time to time.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 10-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
Josh.0

Yeah just chipping away at anything will help. I got my current position because of a random skill/certification I decided to pursue several years ago that I never thought would really lead to anything. Iím definitely a big believer in diversifying your professional skill set so that in times such as this you can cast a wider net. There are certifications people can get in a month or two - sometimes even a weekend - that can land them a decent (enough) job in tough times.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
Josh.0

I’m actually (slowly) taking the PMP course with Udemy right now as a “meh why not?” side hustle, though I may only be able to sit for the CAPM (my work experience may or may not allow me to qualify for PMP).

Speaking of good certs that can be earned quickly: a CAPM is a great example of a credential most folks with any professional experience could probably earn in a month and end up leveraging across a multitude of industries. CAPMs with a little bit of experience can easily cross well into six figures fairly quickly, and it can be earned (and eventually turned into a PMP) without any real college debt.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 10-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
It's humble brag time. This is the place to let others know you fucking kicked ass at work or in life.

Me today: I've been working on how to try and solve a website coding issue that my department wants. It's been extremely hard and I fucking figured it out today.

It feels mighty fine and now I'm sipping on some hot tea because I'm 36 and my throat is itchy.
Oh man, nothing beats the feeling of resolving a particularly nasty bug that you've spent hours troubleshooting! Good job!

I like this thread idea, is it acceptable for me to brag about a song I just finished? I like it a lot. Wrote, performed, recorded, and mixed this myself:

blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #16
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Oh man, nothing beats the feeling of resolving a particularly nasty bug that you've spent hours troubleshooting! Good job!

I like this thread idea, is it acceptable for me to brag about a song I just finished? I like it a lot. Wrote, performed, recorded, and mixed this myself:

cool man.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #17
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Good start to Friday here.

My company announced that in 2021, they won't be doing the usual merit salary increases to help them "navigate through a challenging year as a company." The company as a whole said they can't promise there won't be layoffs looming, etc.

Had a missed call from my manager last night and just got another call from her first thing this morning, which normally, I'd assume spells trouble. She said they're giving me a 10% "off cycle" salary bump effective Monday because I've been taking on so many new responsibilities and doing a great job, etc.

Pretty cool stuff. I feel like this thread brought about some good karma. Nice job, ggies!

[/brag]
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:

My company announced that in 2021, they won't be doing the usual merit salary increases to help them "navigate through a challenging year as a company." The company as a whole said they can't promise there won't be layoffs looming, etc.

Had a missed call from my manager last night and just got another call from her first thing this morning, which normally, I'd assume spells trouble. She said they're giving me a 10% "off cycle" salary bump effective Monday because I've been taking on so many new responsibilities and doing a great job, etc.

Pretty cool stuff. I feel like this thread brought about some good karma. Nice job, ggies!

[/brag]
Old 10-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #19
jeff1818

Congrats T-Manxx. Those calls can be nerve-wracking without knowing what it’s about. Well deserved!!!

I have 6 job calls this week. It’s getting hard to keep them straight but I’m doing it! Some are junior, some are senior, I’m looking for one that’s just right. Haha! It’s kind of comical how another interview just came in.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #20
soright05

Quote:

[/brag]
This is awesome, congratulations
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc