These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #1461
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Thought I would pass along the list of rumored updates for Tesla Battery Day. Less than a week now!

Cathode
Novonix DPMG granules
Dry electrode from Maxwell - allows thicker cathode
Single crystal cathode (Dahn)
Cobalt free
Sila Transition metal free
SilLion nickel rich NMC

Anode
Novonix DPMG graphite granules
Dry electrode from Maxwell
SilLion high loading Silicon
Dahn's Anode free (not coated) and Lithium metal cathode
Silicon nanowires

Manufacture
Hibar
Cell to pack
4070 size (or bigger)
Tesla mining
Tabless electrode
Plate cooling
Transformation of core structural design of the vehicle (giga casting? heat sink? cell to chassis?)
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #1462
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Shareholder meeting first and then Battery Day Presentation.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #1463
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Break now, then Battery presentation.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #1464
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Well, Battery Day was amazing!.....very impressed with Tesla's new path they are on. I've been following battery chemistry and cell improvements for years now and this stuff blew my mind. If you didn't watch the presentation, here are the most important slides from it and if you did, it will be a nice place to come back and have a summary of the event.

/Click to enlarge pics/

Most important slide of the bunch:

With all the new improvements, they will be able to build a car for $25k in 3 years!! Amazing.

New cell format: 4680

New tabless cell structure:

Legacy way:

New Tesla way based on first principles:

New battery pack structure, no more modules:
Old 09-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #1465
ggies
Sugar Will '04

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
According to the media firm’s anonymous sources, Tesla will be announcing the battery update as early as this coming Thursday.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #1466
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Summary: Stratification plays an important role in ocean ventilation, ocean heat, carbon intake, water mass formation, tropical storm formation, ocean oxygen levels, biological depletion, and the AMOC.

Quote:
Seawater generally forms stratified layers with lighter waters near the surface and denser waters at greater depth. This stable configuration acts as a barrier to water mixing that impacts the efficiency of vertical exchanges of heat, carbon, oxygen and other constituents.
Quote:
We find that stratification globally has increased by a substantial 5.3% [5.0%, 5.8%] in recent decades (1960–2018) (the confidence interval is 5–95%); a rate of 0.90% per decade. Most of the increase (~71%) occurred in the upper 200 m of the ocean and resulted largely (>90%) from temperature changes, although salinity changes play an important role locally.
Quote:
Increasing stratification has important climate implications. The expected decrease in ocean ventilation could affect ocean heat and carbon uptake, water mass formation and tropical storm formation and strength3. The associated decrease in ocean mixing, moreover, is consistent with a decline in ocean oxygen concentration, reduced nutrient flux and alteration of marine productivity and biodiversity, as observed. Regions (for example in the North and tropical Pacific and South Atlantic) with the maximum increase in stratification correspond to regions of known de-oxygenation. This is expected, given that more than 80% of observed global ocean oxygen decline is associated with enhanced stratification and consequent weakening of deep-water ventilation and biological depletion associated with the inhibition of nutrient supply. It underscores the consistency between observed physical and geochemical climate change impacts.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #1467
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Interconnection queues track new generation projects.

Quote:
Over the past two years, interconnection queue data from PJM and ERCOT have shown a drastic shift away from new gas and a steep rise in renewable energy projects.

Five years ago gas and renewables were tied in the queue and then gas started falling. Why? Pure economics of renewable energy getting cheaper by the year.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #1468
ggies
Sugar Will '04

First time seeing this. Posting as it circles back to the reason why I created this thread on this board - the connection between Dave's lyrics/music and how we live/our future.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #1469
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Pretty cool graph showing the top states in solar growth within the past 8 years. Where does your state fall?

Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #1470
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Again, Chamath nails it. Beautiful.

Interview clip:

Quote:
"
@Tesla
is no longer about the car business. The value of this business is about deregulating energy. That's about batteries and battery storage and it's about disrupting utilities," says
@chamath
on $TSLA. "People continue to misunderstand and underestimate this business."
Old 10-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #1471
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another example of renewable energy's benefits. Trump (GOP) likes to talk about how switching over to clean energy will make prices go up for customers, but we know this not to be true.

The part I bolded is the "peak shaving" time that is always the most expensive part of the bill and when you reduce that, it reduces the cost.

Quote:
“Green Mountain Power (GMP) announced today that its growing network of stored energy reduced about $3 million in costs for all GMP customers so far in 2020 by cutting power demand during energy peaks, especially during the hot, dry summer. This network includes home batteries, utility-scale Tesla Powerpack batteries at solar sites, and carbon-reducing devices like electric vehicle smart chargers. This builds on more than $2 million in savings over the last two years as GMP pioneered industry-leading battery programs in partnership with its customers.”
Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #1472
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another analyst is starting to get it:

Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #1473
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Woot woot! Progress.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #1474
ggies
Sugar Will '04

If you haven't seen this documentary yet, please do. We are losing our public land for profit. I knew some of this already, but learned a lot. Once society is mostly living off renewable energy this will not be a problem, but will it be too late? Will all the natural beauty be destroyed by then?

Old 10-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #1475
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #1476
ggies
Sugar Will '04

New data. This is why Hydrogen doesn't make sense right now.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #1477
ggies
Sugar Will '04

New Lazard report out:

Unsubsidized wind and solar are competing with the marginal cost of coal, nuclear, and gas.

Solar plus 4 hour battery (unsubsidized) beats a new gas peaker on price per MWh:

Solar+battery $81 - $140
Gas peaker $151 - $198

Peak power prices are where the money is made and as solar+battery starts to drive it down, the fossil fuel industry has less money to pay back their debts.

Last edited by ggies; 10-20-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:05 AM   #1478
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Another example of renewable energy's benefits. Trump (GOP) likes to talk about how switching over to clean energy will make prices go up for customers, but we know this not to be true.

The part I bolded is the "peak shaving" time that is always the most expensive part of the bill and when you reduce that, it reduces the cost.
That’s just one piece, actually building the infrastructure to recharge these batteries and put them all over the place is the main cost, not to mention putting thousands of people that work in the oil industry out of work over the next decade. There’s more to consider than just one article conducted in one state. Figured I’d reply since no one else does. You’re certainly passionate I don’t think I could keep posting in a thread by myself for years
Old 10-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #1479
Steveo Style

Wouldn’t the loss of the oil industry jobs at least be partially (hopefully completely) offset by the jobs created to build all those new facilities?
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #1480
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
That’s just one piece, actually building the infrastructure to recharge these batteries and put them all over the place is the main cost, not to mention putting thousands of people that work in the oil industry out of work over the next decade. There’s more to consider than just one article conducted in one state. Figured I’d reply since no one else does. You’re certainly passionate I don’t think I could keep posting in a thread by myself for years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
Wouldn’t the loss of the oil industry jobs at least be partially (hopefully completely) offset by the jobs created to build all those new facilities?
Steveo Style is correct. There are more jobs in the clean energy sector now than in the oil industry.

@greykitkat36 - the "infrastructure" you are talking about is already being built out - solar and wind....now just add batteries. You can also pair solar and wind with batteries at the same time, so there is no need to worry about this. Please let this go.

That article is showing the results from a test pilot program. The idea of getting our energy this way is finally coming to fruition.

Post #191 from 10.12.16 shows this plan coming into action:

If you really want to understand how it can and will work out, please go back through the thread...I've been laying it out for everyone for years now.....

I've been saying this for years and there have been articles written on this, but we needed (still do) to have a massive PROACTIVE stance on switching to clean energy relating to jobs.

Now, there are companies for several years already out there just to help retrain those workers, but it needs to be on a national level.

Obviously that won't work because we do not have forward thinking minds running our nation.

I've kept this thread going because I've noticed the views continue and I'm trying to pass on the knowledge I'm learning to help others better understand the transition period we are in.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc