These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #6921
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I feel the same about Mercy. I hate it.

Belly Bell Nice has such awful lyrics I want to puke.

This album just got me all wet a first, but it's got no staying power. It's just not all that good.
Yeah, I think we all WANT to like it because Lillywhite produced it. I think that's why we internally hold those songs higher than they might deserve. In all reality, it's a really bad album with almost no replay value to me. If anyone else produced it, everyone on this board would probably be in full agreement I think.

Dave did say Broken Things was hard to play. But, ultimately I think that's more or less just an excuse not to play it. I play guitar as well, and it's nowhere near as hard as half the songs Dave plays all the time. Warehouse, Tripping Billies, The Stone, Satellite etc. I would argue are all harder, and that's just scratching the surface. I guess on some of those Tim kind of covers Dave's part and he doesn't have to really play it 100%, but still. I think they'll play it again at some point, but it's clearly not Dave's favorite.

They brought back Busted Stuff in 2013 and Dave didn't even play guitar on it. So, I think if they really wanted to play Broken Things they would and they'd find a way to make it easier for Dave if they really had to.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #6922
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
the rhythm on Broken Things is really weird, but yeah strange rhythms are supposed to be his speciality. if he's able to pull off shit like Fool To Think, Broken Things should be a piece of cake

Precisely.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #6923
greykitkat36

Fool To Think is really really hard to sing and play at the same time.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #6924
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
He absolutely said it. Just told you when he said it.

To be fair he says “[inaudible] without too many chordal changes”. I can’t fully make out exactly what he says but it sounds like “a pain to do without...” or “I tried to do it without...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #6925
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
You think! In my opinion, there's not a single song in the catalogue that has aged any better than FTT.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #6926
zaphod!

Quote:
the verse is standard-level dave matthews-level difficulty, but that chorus.. i have no idea whats going on.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #6927
Tomacco

Yeah i find the chorus harder to get right than the verses, surprisingly.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #6928
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
He absolutely said it. Just told you when he said it.
my bad
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #6929
SomeDevil17

You guys heard that doof soundcheck before right? think it’s still on dontburnthepig.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #6930
Josh.0

Everything about Broken Things is great but the “war is the most vulgar madness” line. It’s so...odd, and forced, and out of place. He could have written something conveying the same idea in a much better way. It comes across as ham-fisted poetry. It’s a distracting and cringy line.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #6931
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I thought Dave had a hard time playing/singing it?

Btw the D&T version is fantastic: [Only registered users can see links.]
This is fantastic. He can play it fine. Hes lazy
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:39 AM   #6932
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
the verse is standard-level dave matthews-level difficulty, but that chorus.. i have no idea whats going on.
9/8 if I recall
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #6933
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Yeah and the vocal line is doing something polyrhythmic over top. If I tap my fingers in the 9/8 steady eighth notes and sing along over top, I feel like there are a bunch of lyrics that don't land exactly on a beat.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #6934
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Ta Din Gi Na Tom

Ta Ka Di Mi

I'd always break it into a measure of 5/4 and one of 4/4 and listen for the 3rd beat in the measure of 5 to get the swing right while singing it.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #6935
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
Ta Din Gi Na Tom

Ta Ka Di Mi

I'd always break it into a measure of 5/4 and one of 4/4 and listen for the 3rd beat in the measure of 5 to get the swing right while singing it.
I literally have no idea what on earth this post means
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #6936
Cortez 4

Quote:
Yeah, I think we all WANT to like it because Lillywhite produced it. I think that's why we internally hold those songs higher than they might deserve. In all reality, it's a really bad album with almost no replay value to me. If anyone else produced it, everyone on this board would probably be in full agreement I think.

Dave did say Broken Things was hard to play. But, ultimately I think that's more or less just an excuse not to play it. I play guitar as well, and it's nowhere near as hard as half the songs Dave plays all the time. Warehouse, Tripping Billies, The Stone, Satellite etc. I would argue are all harder, and that's just scratching the surface. I guess on some of those Tim kind of covers Dave's part and he doesn't have to really play it 100%, but still. I think they'll play it again at some point, but it's clearly not Dave's favorite.

They brought back Busted Stuff in 2013 and Dave didn't even play guitar on it. So, I think if they really wanted to play Broken Things they would and they'd find a way to make it easier for Dave if they really had to.

AFTW is a good album. Broken Things, Riff, Snow Outside, If Only, Drunken Soldier, Rooftop ... I would take these live versus 85% of what has been played in concert in the past 2 years.

Broken Things isn't hard to play... should be played more. Just would need to swap in Tim or Buddy for Boyd's solo.
Cortez 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:40 PM   #6937
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez 4 View Post
AFTW is a good album. Broken Things, Riff, Snow Outside, If Only, Drunken Soldier, Rooftop ... I would take these live versus 85% of what has been played in concert in the past 2 years.

Broken Things isn't hard to play... should be played more. Just would need to swap in Tim or Buddy for Boyd's solo.
To each their own, Broken Things is pretty much the only song you mentioned I'd be ok hearing live.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #6938
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I literally have no idea what on earth this post means

It's a method derived from south Indian music to count grooves that many drummers use. I learned it years ago when I started playing sitar. Single syllable words that are used in phrases to denote time. It's so much easier than counting numbers in a groove.

Ta = 1
Ta Ki = 2
Ta Ki Ta = 3
Ta Ka Di Mi = 4
Ta Din Gi Na Tom = 5
Ta Ki Ta Ta Ki Ta = 6
Ta Ka Di Mi Ta Ki Ta = 7
Ta Ka Di Mi Ta Ka Jo No = 8

For 9 and above build patterns from there depending on where you hear accents. Try it counting Seven with it or the chorus of Fool to Think or whatever. Once you get it, you stop counting beats in the western way. In the 9/8 section of Fool to Think there is a prominent accent on the 3rd beat, or Gi that kind of hints at the swing of the vocal.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc