These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #181
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Can you sing it emotionally in your car?? That's all that matters.
Indeed I can.

You know what, I might be able to sing She too.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #182
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I pretty much agree with this. He still has flashes of good clever writing, but itís just much less now. Itís like 1/10 Lines if weíre lucky. Imagery is really the key. As Lillywhite pointed out, his lyrics used to have more of a ďdreamlikeĒ quality to them where he was painting pictures in your head with the words and a craftier way about them.

ďThe storm outside, the fires bright and in your eyes I see whatís on my mind, you got me wild, turned around insideĒ

Itís basicallt the same idea as in a lot of his songs, but these days heíd write something like ďI see you there, pretty girl like to pull your hair, you make me feel goodĒ or some crap. Very different approach
Those would rank pretty high for current Dave lyrics actually.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #183
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I pretty much agree with this. He still has flashes of good clever writing, but it’s just much less now. It’s like 1/10 Lines if we’re lucky. Imagery is really the key. As Lillywhite pointed out, his lyrics used to have more of a “dreamlike” quality to them where he was painting pictures in your head with the words and a craftier way about them.

“The storm outside, the fires bright and in your eyes I see what’s on my mind, you got me wild, turned around inside”

It’s basicallt the same idea as in a lot of his songs, but these days he’d write something like “I see you there, pretty girl like to pull your hair, you make me feel good” or some crap. Very different approach
This. 100% this. It's the specificity of his lyrics, not how much they make sense or what they mean, that has changed.

People are talking about WWYS being nonsense. But like, "I was there when the bear ate his hair, thought it was a candy" - this is specific and memorable, not in the least because it is so dreamlike and bizarre. There's a really big difference between that and, for instance, "mercy what will be come of us / have we come too far to turn it around". Turn WHAT around? It's all vague platitudes.

He's had some good lyrics recently. I think Sweet is underrated, Snow Outside is fine, the verses of Gaucho are awesome, and I love the lyrics to Bismarck and Samurai Cop.

But this vague generic thing that shows up so often these days is super fucking weird to me, and there isn't any of that in his pre-ED writing. Not that much even on ED, for that matter. (I always thought complaints about ED's lyrics, outside of Angel and maybe Mother Father, were a bit overblown. I Did It is goofy and ridiculous, for instance, but it remains specific and memorable.)
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #184
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Indeed I can.

You know what, I might be able to sing She too.

(after we figure out what he's actually singing)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #185
Mitch

I love what Buddy does at the end
Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #186
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
The lows are much lower and the highs are much rarer.
The one thing really missing is specific imagery,the the hungry child, belly swelled, price or a coke or a smoke keep alive his hundry eyes verse in seek up.
"There must be more than this so God was born and we in his image of fear and love Look down upon from up above"

"Come winter I will build you a fire from the bones of who I used to be
before you came and washed the weary away before you came here for me"

"Strange evolution how people have come to believe that we are its greatest achievement when really we're just a collection of cells overrating themselves hello God i'm avoiding the truth"

I'm not disagreeing specifically, I just think the idea that "Dave used to be this amazing lyricist" is revisionist history bullshit. He was better then. No denying. But the drop off isn't nearly as substantial as people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #187
dandtrock

I still don't know if I like this song or not, but the chorus gets annoyingly stuck in my head for quite awhile after listening.
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #188
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Dave mentioned in his recent interview that he went to a Alt-J show..
I don't know why but SHE really reminds a bit of some Alt-J sound.
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #189
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I'm not so sure about this song. Maybe it'll grow on me.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #190
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
This. 100% this. It's the specificity of his lyrics, not how much they make sense or what they mean, that has changed.

People are talking about WWYS being nonsense. But like, "I was there when the bear ate his hair, thought it was a candy" - this is specific and memorable, not in the least because it is so dreamlike and bizarre. There's a really big difference between that and, for instance, "mercy what will be come of us / have we come too far to turn it around". Turn WHAT around? It's all vague platitudes.

He's had some good lyrics recently. I think Sweet is underrated, Snow Outside is fine, the verses of Gaucho are awesome, and I love the lyrics to Bismarck and Samurai Cop.

But this vague generic thing that shows up so often these days is super fucking weird to me, and there isn't any of that in his pre-ED writing. Not that much even on ED, for that matter. (I always thought complaints about ED's lyrics, outside of Angel and maybe Mother Father, were a bit overblown. I Did It is goofy and ridiculous, for instance, but it remains specific and memorable.)
Always thought he said head. No?
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #191
NiCK (Crush)

We like WWYS lyrics because its old and we're nostalgic for them, that's really it.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #192
sci22
30 seconds flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I'm not so sure about this song. Maybe it'll grow on me.
My least favorite of the new batch by a landslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven420
looks like the shit hit the phan
sci22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #193
CRUSHsoccer15

Finally re-listened after being there on Saturday night.

I still think it's terrible. Can't stand his delivery on Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #194
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
We like WWYS lyrics because its old and we're nostalgic for them, that's really it.
It's catchy, it's clever and was wildly unique in the time it was released. The band sounds fresh, the music video was awesome.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #195
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
the music video was awesome.
for 1994.
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #196
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

In my opinion, it doesn’t matter whether it’s 1992, 1998, 2004, or 2018. What matters is whether or not Dave is inspired. In several examples posted, Dave has shown good lyrics in all eras of his career. In those moments, he was more inspired than in other moments. He still had the ability to create a great lyric. He was more inspired in the past, that’s for sure, but it’s not like he lost his ability to write a good song. The dude just needs to feel inspired more now. I think that’s what’s happening here, from my perspective.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #197
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
In my opinion, it doesnít matter whether itís 1992, 1998, 2004, or 2018. What matters is whether or not Dave is inspired. In several examples posted, Dave has shown good lyrics in all eras of his career. In those moments, he was more inspired than in other moments. He still had the ability to create a great lyric. He was more inspired in the past, thatís for sure, but itís not like he lost his ability to write a good song. The dude just needs to feel inspired more now. I think thatís whatís happening here, from my perspective.
I have a bridge to sell you on fucking Pluto, brah, if you think She is more inspired, from a personal POV perspective than Come Tomorrow.
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #198
BigVodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
I just think the idea that "Dave used to be this amazing lyricist" is revisionist history bullshit. He was better then. No denying. But the drop off isn't nearly as substantial as people think.
Yes.

That Gaucho line is great, and the guitar riff is vintage Dave.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #199
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
I have a bridge to sell you on fucking Pluto, brah, if you think She is more inspired, from a personal POV perspective than Come Tomorrow.

Did I specifically mention “She” at all in my post or that this song is an example of Dave being inspired? I’m pulling a Mario in you right now because your response is ridiculous. I was just making a general statement on Dave’s creativity.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #200
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
In my opinion, it doesnít matter whether itís 1992, 1998, 2004, or 2018. What matters is whether or not Dave is inspired. In several examples posted, Dave has shown good lyrics in all eras of his career. In those moments, he was more inspired than in other moments. He still had the ability to create a great lyric. He was more inspired in the past, thatís for sure, but itís not like he lost his ability to write a good song. The dude just needs to feel inspired more now. I think thatís whatís happening here, from my perspective.

Well said.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc