These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #61
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Trent View Post
What was that story about Affleck and Paltrow visiting the studio while they were recording Dreaming Tree?
allegedly Dreaming Tree wasn't going to make the album but they loved it so much and insisted it make the album.

At least that's how I remember it.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #62
gweeps

I always thought the song also had some inspiration from the death of Stefan's daughter?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #63
Ras Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
allegedly Dreaming Tree wasn't going to make the album but they loved it so much and insisted it make the album.

At least that's how I remember it.
Huh.

The story I remember is that the song had totally different lyrics and when Ben & Gwen were gushing about how much they loved it, that’s when Dave knew he had to rewrite the entire thing.
Ras Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #64
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Fantastic stuff - thanks for sharing. Done for the hardcore fans - this stuff is gold.
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #65
ggies
Sugar Will '04

There it is....I was waiting for something like this to be said.

Quote:
Steve: "I think it cemented them as both a pop act AND a really musically challenging act..."
With all the crap that when on from '01 to '04, I finally saw them become a "musically challenging act" again with Sugar Will. I thought they were moving in that direction again, but they did not and it's been my whole dig at them ever since....
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #66
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Also, screw b-sides from the band, I want recordings of UTTAD and Crash mixes that Steve did.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #67
dancetheham

I don't know anything for sure, but I think a lot of the rumors about Dave and/or Carter having a falling out with Tim over how he was playing in '98 were mostly fans projecting their own dislike of Tim's fall '98 tone. Between BTCS and the Lillywhite Sessions, Tim got divorced and moved to New Mexico; my guess is that was probably the biggest reason he stopped playing with the band for what at the time seemed like forever.

The '99 D&T tour was a mess from an audience standpoint, and I think Dave and Tim got sick of playing for that type of crowd. The 4 years between then and the '03 tour seemed like a drop in the bucket now, but at the time, again, it seemed like forever.

Fall '98 is also the only full tour Tim ever did with the band prior to 2008. I think a lot of people have/had a misconception that Tim was always around in the early days because he was on literally everything the band released until Listener Supported.

Once again, it's entirely possible that there was actually a falling out, but I just think it was a few coincidences that make that seem like more of a possibility than it really was.
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #68
zaphod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Fonz does have a songwriting credit for Dreaming Tree, doesn't he?
he does, but i'm almost certain its just for the bass / chapman stick music part, and not the lyrics.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #69
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Thinking more on Steve's 'big money' comment changing things heading into the LWS. I hope Matt asks about Tim being left out when they do the LWS retrospective. I wonder if that plays in to that comment at all? Steven mentions how much fun dave and tim had together recording these albums. Tim is basically Dave's binki. I'm surprised when he was struggling during the recording they didn't reach out to tim first to see if he could have helped straighten the ship before Flohr & Carter blew everything up.

BTCS was a huge success, no matter how you slice it. Then, they go to record the follow up. Recording atleast 2 songs that dave and tim had road tested and developed together during the '99 d&t tour. Captain (crazy) had been another d&t song. But Tim, he was left out. I have always wondered why and am not sure we've ever had a real reason?
The idea of the LWS at the time was that there would be no guests, just the five of them.
priceofacoke910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #70
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Thinking more on Steve's 'big money' comment changing things heading into the LWS. I hope Matt asks about Tim being left out when they do the LWS retrospective. I wonder if that plays in to that comment at all? Steven mentions how much fun dave and tim had together recording these albums. Tim is basically Dave's binki. I'm surprised when he was struggling during the recording they didn't reach out to tim first to see if he could have helped straighten the ship before Flohr & Carter blew everything up.

BTCS was a huge success, no matter how you slice it. Then, they go to record the follow up. Recording atleast 2 songs that dave and tim had road tested and developed together during the '99 d&t tour. Captain (crazy) had been another d&t song. But Tim, he was left out. I have always wondered why and am not sure we've ever had a real reason?
Actually 4 - Digging a Ditch, Bartender, Captain and John the Revalator / JTR
priceofacoke910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #71
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
he does, but i'm almost certain its just for the bass / chapman stick music part, and not the lyrics.
Yeah, I think the whole song came out of Stefan’s bass part. Wasn’t the working title Stefan’s 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
The idea of the LWS at the time was that there would be no guests, just the five of them.
Yeah, that’s how it was conceived, but I still think it’s a reasonable question to ask why they didn’t look at maybe bringing someone else in to help when things started to go south.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #72
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
The bass on Dreaming Tree is incredible. Stefan's finest work.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #73
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
The bass on Dreaming Tree is incredible. Stefan's finest work.
And then that same guy comes up with the Hunger riff
Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #74
zaphod!

part 2 is up
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #75
South535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Yead definitely, Carter hating Tim’s play for the ‘98 tour was also another popular rumor. Who knows really. It would be really interesting to get Steve’s memory jogged to get snippets of info we could sort of piece together. The LWS era is a difficult one to pin down in terms of who made what decisions, or was upset at who within the band and management, how the dysfunctional relationships played out during the recording, etc... There are tons of rumors and there have been many “elites” in the fanbase all having conflicting stories from their “sources” so none of these rumors have ever really been the base of a specific problem which is why Steve could really help shed the light on some things, even if theyre not personal things that were kept quiet for a reason.
[Only registered users can see links.]

That reminds me of this article- you get the sense Dave was feeling insecure about his playing because Lillywhite doubled his guitar parts with Tim on both UTTAD and Crash, with electric overdubs even drowning out Dave's parts more on Crash. I think BTCS is primarily Dave on acoustic without that doubling trick for the first time. That all being said, I'm not sure it's so much an issue with Tim falling out of favor as much as Dave proving that he can carry the band.

Tim, did you play more acoustic or electric on the early band albums?

REYNOLDS A lot of acoustic. I'd spend about two months playing acoustic and three days playing electric.

MATTHEWS It was us sitting next to each other, strumming madly. It was so much fun.

REYNOLDS We sat in the studio just like this [moves chair right in front of Matthews] with a glass thing [between us], and that's how we did the whole first record. The band was all on the second floor.

MATTHEWS And then they'd inevitably turn his acoustic guitar way up and mine way down! That's [producer Steve] Lillywhite—I'm not saying whether he was right or wrong, but he'd say [affects British accent], "OK, let's turn David down and Timmy up" [laughs]. I love how with the last album, he said, "David, you don't really feature on this album at all, but don't tell anyone." We'd learn it, we'd all play, and then he'd turn me down.

Were you playing the same parts?

REYNOLDS On the first album we played the same part and then doubled it—like four acoustic guitars playing the same thing.

MATTHEWS And it made it sound really huge.

REYNOLDS I would just overdub a little bit. I did more electric overdubs as the albums went on.
South535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #76
greykitkat36

Part 2 is up an is 1hr 40 min! Awesome this will be fun as hell to listen to.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #77
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Part 2:
[Only registered users can see links.]
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #78
Ras Trent

Awesome stuff.

Can’t wait until they do this for the LWS in the coming months. Love that Steve is so into it.
Ras Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #79
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Trent View Post
Love that Steve is so into it.
Steve loves talking about himself, and I'm really glad that he does.

Last edited by cgator41; 04-30-2018 at 04:37 PM.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #80
HeyJoe5

Anyone know if there are transcriptions of these interviews out there, so I can spend 10 minutes reading them rather than >1 hour listening?
HeyJoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc