These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Mersh

Backpacking, Hiking, Climbing, etc. Thread

Anyone here do any back country activities? I am mostly creating this thread today because tomorrow I am off on a nice 3 day paddling trip in the Adirondacks. Going to be great to get out there again and the weather looks to be perfect.

Just wondering if there are any other outdoor enthusiasts here. If so what is your activity? Any trips coming up? Favorite trip, climb, hike, etc.?
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Define Dancing

I love hiking and backpacking. I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2013, hiked 1,500 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail in 2018 and then went back the following summer to finish California (217 mile section). Unfortunately we can't go to Oregon to hike the next section this summer (Ashland to Sisters), due to COVID-19 restrictions. The plan is to finish the PCT in 4 sections, which we would hike two weeks at a time each summer. Once we complete that trail, I'd love to attempt a thru-hike of the Continental Divide Trail before I get too old. We'll see.

With Oregon out of the picture this summer we thought about finishing the Long Trail in Vermont, but they are only allowing local day hikes, so that's out as well. We've pieced together a rather ambitious jaunt across New Hampshire and Maine instead: Twelve 4,000 footers in NH (which would leave us 1 shy of completing the NH48), Sugarloaf, Abram, and Redington in Maine, followed by Gulf Hagas in the 100 Mile Wilderness, and we're topping it off with Katahdin (including the Knife's Edge). Should be a fun 11 days! Really looking forward to putting the phone on airplane mode and unplugging from everything for a while.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
Mersh

That is fantastic. Since I will always put in a plug for the Adirondacks the trans ADK route is pretty interesting and not many have done it. Nothing like the PCT or AT (did it in 2001), but for a shorter trip in a great area...
Old 06-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

We always do at least 2 family camping / hiking trips in the White Mountains each year for two nights. May and September to make it as comfortable as possible for the kids. This year we had to cancel May, but planning to still do September. We day hike all the time because there are so many quick day trips around us and itís just good family time.

Iím hoping to go to Alaska in the early fall with my dad for some fishing / hiking / camping in and around Lake Clark. That will obviously be a little different w/o a ten and six year old in tow.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Mersh

Nice.

Went on a great paddling trip in the St. Regis area of the Adirondacks. Barely saw anyone (a bonus to the Canadian border being closed). Beautiful weather, loons everywhere, and just being outdoors again...fantastic. Headed back up next week for a different trip.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
Mersh

Also, I love the White Mountains...had some great trips there.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Josh.0

I'll do a 14er or two each summer and then a handful of mellower hikes here in CO. Colorado has a lot of insanely difficult hikes, and what's crazy is length isn't necessarily a determining factor for what will or will not kick your ass. We have the Manitou Incline, which I did on a 95 degree day and may be the most difficult hike I've ever done, even though it's only a little over a mile long.

Honestly I'm sort of over the "huge" hikes, they just take too much out of me and I never sleep well at elevation (especially over 11,000 ft), so overnight hikes are a thing of the past, at least in CO.

I still enjoy 5-10 mile hikes within decent elevation gain, but I'm good with the 10 hour 3,500+ ft gain hikes that start at like 10,000+ ft. Once you hit your mid-30's that shit wears you out for a couple of days and it's really not worth it (also, IMO most summits and views from 14ers all start looking kind of the same).

I hiked Mt. Shavano not too long ago (17th tallest peak in CO). I remember thinking, upon summiting and after 4,600 ft of gain almost all of which was hiked over 10,000 ft, "what it worth it?" and realizing the answer was a hard no.

Cycling in the mountains, OTOH, is something I really enjoy. I finished Frisco -> Vail Pass two weeks ago and while it's definitely challenging the views were incredible the entire ride.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc