These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Josh.0

How has 2020 affected you?

Hey all - I thought Iíd make a thread to check in on everyone and see how weíre all doing. How has COVID-19 affected you or people you know? The BLM protests/riots? Unemployment?

As a lot of you know, I lost my job. I found another short-term contract but thatís close to ending. In the meantime Iíve submitted about 250 applications, many with direct references to hiring managers, and havenít found anything because in my industry (healthcare IT) virtually every position has been frozen indefinitely. Hospitals got crushed when they canceled electives are the vast majority arenít hiring non-clinical staff right now.

This made me wonder what else folks here may be dealing with? How can I help (if I can help)? How has your industry handled 2020? Is your family and are your friends healthy? Do you know any black people or cops that have been directly affected by the protests and riots?

Letís please keep debate out of here and in the other threads. This is meant to be a place to touch base and talk about how we can support each other.

Weíre almost at the midway point of 2020 and Iím optimistic that the second half of 2020 is going to change for the better for all of us.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
jeff1818

Great post! I work in the horse racing industry (I do digital marketing). Since it's a live sport, we were crushed Mar-May. Thankfully most (if not all) tracks are now reopening. But, the kicker is without patrons. Since most tracks are not open to the public, our business is still taking a hit. I'm working, but only at 50%. Personally, I'm healthy. Bored a bit, but healthy. I live in NYC so it's a bit nerve-wracking to get out without bumping into someone without a mask or nose showing. I'm a positive person and truly believe a vaccine will come in the fall. Whether I'll take it (or if anyone should) is another story. I'm realistic about Q1 2021 though. I think we'll need more data/stats to really feel comfortable.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
mja271

From a personal standpoint, honestly my life has not changed much at all aside from the obvious social impacts that have come along with covid. Very fortunate my wife and I are both a part of large (currently) stable organizations that haven't had to make any layoffs. We already were working at home a couple days a week so the transition was very easy to doing it full time. Going a little stir crazy here and there not having outlets like live music and travel to look forward to, but overall it's been more of an inconvenient year than a bad year up to this point.

Family wise has been a bit more tumultuous. My grandmother has in home hospice care right now and doesn't have much time left. She was in the hospital for a while about 6 weeks ago which was very stressful for close family to not be able to visit and get updates on her condition. She has good and bad days now, just hoping she doesn't suffer too much before she passes. My brother in law was furloughed but has since returned to work. My dad owns a dry cleaners that has been in our family for 60+ years so things have been extremely stressful for him since this started just trying to stay afloat. He's hustling and hanging in there but it's been a struggle for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I'm miserable. Started a new position at my job the day everything in kentucky shut down. So I've been working from home. Never met any of my coworkers. I was lonely before this started, now its just awful.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
I'm miserable. Started a new position at my job the day everything in kentucky shut down. So I've been working from home. Never met any of my coworkers. I was lonely before this started, now its just awful.
Yeah, the whole physical distancing stuff is for the birds. I can count on my one hand the family and friends I've seen these past few months. And no hugs the whole time. Sometimes living alone/being single sucks.

I use the phone or social media to keep in touch, but it's obviously not the same. And I don't have the energy to do much each day. Enthusiasm comes in waves these days. Depression, too. I look at the clock now and the day's half over. What have I done but take my eye drops, have a shower, eat a bit and post here?

I miss volunteering in the community. Where I worked there's always more than 10 people, and many have health issues. Who knows if and when I can go back. Who knows if I'll be volunteering with the same people because many of them are retirees. I worked at the place for over 5 years.

So it's tough not knowing what the future holds. I may have to moce again in a couple of years because money is getting quite tight.

Thankfully though my eyesight is stable, although I need to book an appointment for some more tests. Surgery is still a ways off, and I may have to have more than one. Obviously I'm nervous. If things go awry I have no backup eye. Sometimes I'm shocked I can do what I can with only 5% total vision.

And one of these days I must get a hair cut.

My family and friends are safe and healthy. So there's a big thing to be grateful for. And I have adequate food, lodging, stuff to read, listen to & watch, etc.. Things could and are obviously much worse for many other people though. Really a staggering amount since this is worldwide. So I attempt to keep a level perspective about things in general.

Still, sometimes it's little consolation. But that's life.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Tomacco

Could be worse, could be better.
I work in advertising, and 20% of my agency got laid off end of March because of clients' reduced needs. Luckily, I kept my job (for now). Big lifestyle change though, going from spending 50+ hours at the office every week, with people in person, to working from home and being on Microsoft Teams video chats all day long.
Personally, my fiance and I had to cancel our wedding in August because of COVID. Luckily we hadn't booked the honeymoon yet. But it was difficult to watch what should've been a big summer just get gradually eviscerated. I'm a pretty social person and love to go out to shows, restaurants, and friends' places, so this period of time has been incredibly depressing.

I don't know anyone personally who got COVID. Apparently somebody from my agency got it but recovered, but we were never told who.

That's the COVID stuff. In terms of the race situation, Toronto protests have been peaceful AF. Nobody I know has been harmed or anything. The discourse about race has been nice and a good reminder of the issues some of my friends face regularly.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
jeff1818

I haven't spoken with anyone in person since March. I'm working from home. I zoom church groups and friends. I just did an online zoom improv class from meetup which was super fun. I don't get out much. When I do, it's zigzagging away from the mask-less and it just makes me sad to see everything shut down/boarded up. I cut my hair last night. Not perfect, I would call it fair. Tomorrow is Saturday and I don't really care.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

oh hey just found out my 93 year old grandma has breast cancer and is having a mastectomy next week. what a fucking awesome year!
Old 06-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
oh hey just found out my 93 year old grandma has breast cancer and is having a mastectomy next week. what a fucking awesome year!
Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that. My grandmother needs a hip replacement. She's in her 80s.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
zaphod!

i work IT in the news industry, so pros include: work from home, readership up almost 300%. cons: advertising revenue way down, so salaries were cut across the board to prevent massive layoffs.

in other news, a girl from my yoga class added me on facebook back in february and she and i talked a bit back and forth about maybe going hiking or something - then the lockdowns began pretty much as soon as plans were getting off the ground.

about a month ago, she and i touched base and went out just for a walk, given that all the parks are still closed. and we're now in a relationship. yes, i know i'm breaking the rules but i'll gladly kill a few grandmas and grandpas for this. just kidding, we both have very limited social circles.

but yeah, 2020 is up there with one of the worst years of our generation - but i'm doing alright.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Interesting thread and it's nice to hear from many of you. Wildcats, shoot me a DM if you want to connect. I know what you're going through.

I have mixed feelings about the year. I changed jobs in December 2019, which has been a real positive overall. I went from student affairs at a poorly funded, diverse urban university to a role in education technology. Business has been booming since more schools have struggled to adjust to online learning. Its been personally good for me and good for business. I still teach one class per term at the on-campus school, so it's been weird seeing them struggle while my new company has had a good few months.

I miss the same things you all do. Shows, baseball games, social time. I have used this window to aggressively save $ and purchased a new (used) vehicle last night. I'm a small step closer to maybe owning something (condo, house) someday here in Denver.

It's up and down. My GF and I have been challenged in a lot of ways (we are both working remote out of a one bedroom apartment). But we also both have jobs and our income hasn't been hurt one bit.

And I fucking miss Alpine Valley and this stupid virus pushes that back to at least 2022.

I miss my parents and family back in Chicago a lot. I had a 10-day trip planned in March including going to the Cubs opener with my dad. He's 80 so I don't know how many more games we have together and that is terrifying.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
K270
Kan Pai

I must say, my life hasn't changed to much since Pre C-19 days. I'm a grocery clerk. Business was booming in Mid-March. The day the shit hit the fan (March 16th) our store did almost a whole weeks business in one day. While business has been going down, the numbers show we're still doing more business than this time last year.

As for my personal life. Not much has changed either. I was never a big social butterfly to begin with. I would love movie theaters to re-open. Thats about it. I do want the Physical Therapy clinic to re-open to.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
I must say, my life hasn't changed to much since Pre C-19 days. I'm a grocery clerk. Business was booming in Mid-March. The day the shit hit the fan (March 16th) our store did almost a whole weeks business in one day. While business has been going down, the numbers show we're still doing more business than this time last year.

As for my personal life. Not much has changed either. I was never a big social butterfly to begin with. I would love movie theaters to re-open. Thats about it. I do want the Physical Therapy clinic to re-open to.
Happy to hear things are relatively stable for you. Hopefully you can compensate for the lack of physical therapy.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #14
gweeps
homesick android

Our province's restrictions have eased slightly. I was able to go and spend the evening with family in town. Had a lovely meal outside. Got my hair cut finally. Lots of hugs and well-wishes.

Tonight was the first time I'd been out for anything other than throwing out the garbage/doing laundry in the basement/checking the mail for over two weeks.

I feel more hopeful. But I obviously still plan on being cautious. I probably won't go anywhere significant for a while now just to be careful. Sucks that I think this way.

Last edited by gweeps; 06-13-2020 at 10:09 PM.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #15
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Happy to hear things are relatively stable for you. Hopefully you can compensate for the lack of physical therapy.
Theres not much I can do to compensate. PT is the only place that can teach me how to use this permanent prosthetic and get me off the walker. Im received the leg about a week before Thanksgiving. I had a delay getting back into PT. I had my first session in early 2020. I was scheduled for six sessions, but only received four. Scheduled several more sessions then BAM! C-19 happened and all my sessions were cancelled. I hope when they re-open I won't need another referral. They can look past their six month thingy and realize I had sessions scheduled within the six month window.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #16
Garntd

2020's been interesting. In January, I decided I wanted to start transitioning out of teaching into possible music business (band managing/tour managing) - from being in New Orleans all these years, I'd built up enough connections and started managing a band. We put together a whole summer tour, had opening acts booked, all the venues booked - and then Covid hit. Went from getting my feet wet and learning the business to nothing. I'm still in touch with the band, but there's really nothing to do outside of waiting for music to start up again.

Teaching was okay - the daily zoom with kids and other teachers in the grade level made it seem like there was some sense of normalcy. Now that school's over, I have no idea what to do with myself. Normally I travel and follow Phish/Dead Co/DMB and write curriculum for next school year, but everything is up in the air and no tours. Some days are great and some days are not - feel myself slipping into depressive patterns sometimes. I'll get by and school starts again soon enough, in whatever form, but this sucks.
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #17
DIDO36

I’m fine and things could be so much worse comparatively to what other people are going through. I’m thankful that ‘I’m doing relatively well. With that said, this year has me feeling pretty empty. I love music, and I love sports. So the two things that I look for forward to the most are gone for now. The world feels so weird without any of that. Like before when the outside world seemed to suck, you could at least escape the real world for a while and enjoy stuff like that. Now it’s just work and you come home and turn on the tv and see the BS. Been hanging out with friends a lot lately, feels good to have a sense of normalcy in that way

What a fucking crazy time to be alive. Would rather things be boring as hell, and the times are relatively normal instead of crazy.. This will go down as one of the worst years ever. Maybe that’s exaggerated, but it sure feels like it right now.

Kinda off topic, but social media is a god damn cesspool. It’s such a fucking joke now. Everything’s attack, attack, attack. All this cancel culture shit is going on too. It’s an angry internet mob really. It’s nothing new to 2020, but It’s been super bad this year. Glad I pretty much stay off of twitter and I don’t even use Facebook at all anymore.

Last edited by DIDO36; 06-14-2020 at 01:30 AM.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:15 AM   #18
celluloid hero

I consider myself very lucky. I work as a consultant usually with one client doing system implementation. My client is considered essential business so there was no risk of them closing and the budget meant our target go-live date stayed the same. Super lucky.

Socially is a bit tougher, I'm used to work travel. I visit friends and get out of the city quite a bit. that's been the hardest.

My wife started working at home in 2017 and I didn't travel a ton in late 2018 - 2019, so we're a bit used to being in the house with each other.

That said, start of the year is always rough workwise, so things like 3 times a week yoga that I was doing in the fall, slowed down in December - February due to work, and when you're normally ready to get back into it after the holidays, I couldn't because of this. I mean I could have powered through it, but I didn't. But I'm back into exercising the last 2 weeks and feel much better. Need to keep at it. It makes a massive difference to my day-to-day mood.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #19
Mitch

I haven't checked in here in a bit. Hope everyone's doing ok. This is a good thought-provoking question. Short answer is it hasn't affected me significantly.

I've been working through the whole thing. So, even in the height of it here, my office was the same normal environment. As I've mentioned, I'm in the home health care business in NY, so it's been kinda crazy. Business has been down roughly 20% as we've had many patients and/or aides not wanting the aides to visit their homes. And we've dealt with lots of covid related issues, including deaths of patients and even 2 employees.

Personally, it's been mostly positive in a weird way. I've had my whole family under the same roof again for an extended time, which is something I didn't think I'd experience again (my 2 oldest kids are 24 and 22). My ten yr old has learned more things at home with us than she would in school- poker, cooking, etc. So all 6 of being together with not so much else going on has been pretty great. Although I did just drive my daughter, who's been home with us since mid-march, back to NYC last night. Really, the only things I miss are sports and concerts. I have no problem staying at home, just give me a ballgame to watch at night!

I was driving home from work last week, and got stuck in some normal traffic, and I actually felt nostalgic for the early days of the lockdown and found myself missing driving to/from work on eerie empty roads,lol.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #20
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Personally, it's been mostly positive in a weird way. I've had my whole family under the same roof again for an extended time, which is something I didn't think I'd experience again (my 2 oldest kids are 24 and 22). My ten yr old has learned more things at home with us than she would in school- poker, cooking, etc.
"Welcome to Doobie Rolling 101. I'll be your professor, Shakedown Mitch. Attendance isn't mandatory, but we need to make sure you doo-bie learning. Alright. We having fun yet? Okay, everyone open your Zig Zags to page one."

Glad to see you're around and doing well. Very sorry to hear about your employees.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc