These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #6881
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 23,626
Yeah it honestly blows my mind they released 3 albums in my first 5 years of fandom (2001-2005). Though two of them were kind of disastrous.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #6882
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 4,367
Three DMB albums plus Some Devil. And then there were an album's worth of new songs debuted in 06 and 07 too. For some reason, DMB 3.0 in 2008 also marked the end of a constant stream of road-testing songs whether they were on an album or not until 2015.
__________________
Being a Dave Matthews fan in 2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci22 View Post
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #6883
mja271
 
mja271's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah it honestly blows my mind they released 3 albums in my first 5 years of fandom (2001-2005). Though two of them were kind of disastrous.
Meanwhile as someone who was late to the party and didn't become a hardcore fan until 2006, it took me 12 years to see 3 albums released
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Paul Bearer was Kane's father, but not Undertaker's. Taker killed his parents in a funeral home fire, but Bearer knocked up Undertaker's mom with Kane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #6884
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 23,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Three DMB albums plus Some Devil. And then there were an album's worth of new songs debuted in 06 and 07 too. For some reason, DMB 3.0 in 2008 also marked the end of a constant stream of road-testing songs whether they were on an album or not until 2015.
Which years didn't debut any new material live? 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2019 from what I can tell.

2000 - LWS
2001 - ED material
2002 - WAYG/ YNK / Gravedigger / Loving Wings
2003 - Nothing from DMB, but Some Devil with D&F
2004 - Sugar Will, GGT, Joyride, Hello Again, Crazy Easy
2005 - SU material
2006 - IOY, KTK, Break Free, Can't Stop, Shotgun, Sister
2007 - #27, Cornbread, Eh Hee, ADSR, I Won't Give It Away, Jackpot
2008 - Nothing...?
2009 - BW material
2010 - Blackjack, Break For It
2011 - Sweet
2012 - AFTW material
2013 - Nothing...?
2014 - Nothing...?
2015 - Black & Blue Bird, VITR, DOTHS, Be Yourself/bdkdkdkdk
2016 - SamCop, A&G, Bismarck, Plastic Girl, Here on Out
2017 - Do You Remember
2018 - TGIY, She, CoCO, CT, WIW
2019 - Nothing...?
2020 - Singing From the Windows

Looking at that list, it doesn't actually seem like there are any real dead periods other than 2013-14 and 2019-20. The 2006-07 period was leading to the dead Batson album, and the 2015-16 period was leading to the dead Cavallo album. Then both of those got fused into CT in 2018. So I'd say the deadest period for new material is actually the one we're currently in and will continue to be in for awhile, which I think we could blame on COVID.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #6885
.Gary.
 
.Gary.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I’ll also say they are due big time. A lot of long term artists have big droughts in their career where their albums just aren’t received well but can have the recovery. Springsteen did in with The Rising, The Dead did it late in their career, Tom Waits did it etc.
I'd argue that DMB had their Dead style late revival in 08-10 if we're being fair.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #6886
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
I'd argue that DMB had their Dead style late revival in 08-10 if we're being fair.
Fair enough. Late 80s was roughly 20 something years into the Dead's career as well, so it's about the same for DMB from 1991-2009. So maybe that comparison is over.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #6887
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Which years didn't debut any new material live? 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2019 from what I can tell.

2000 - LWS
2001 - ED material
2002 - WAYG/ YNK / Gravedigger / Loving Wings
2003 - Nothing from DMB, but Some Devil with D&F
2004 - Sugar Will, GGT, Joyride, Hello Again, Crazy Easy
2005 - SU material
2006 - IOY, KTK, Break Free, Can't Stop, Shotgun, Sister
2007 - #27, Cornbread, Eh Hee, ADSR, I Won't Give It Away, Jackpot
2008 - Nothing...?
2009 - BW material
2010 - Blackjack, Break For It
2011 - Sweet
2012 - AFTW material
2013 - Nothing...?
2014 - Nothing...?
2015 - Black & Blue Bird, VITR, DOTHS, Be Yourself/bdkdkdkdk
2016 - SamCop, A&G, Bismarck, Plastic Girl, Here on Out
2017 - Do You Remember
2018 - TGIY, She, CoCO, CT, WIW
2019 - Nothing...?
2020 - Singing From the Windows

Looking at that list, it doesn't actually seem like there are any real dead periods other than 2013-14 and 2019-20. The 2006-07 period was leading to the dead Batson album, and the 2015-16 period was leading to the dead Cavallo album. Then both of those got fused into CT in 2018. So I'd say the deadest period for new material is actually the one we're currently in and will continue to be in for awhile, which I think we could blame on COVID.
Right...but they didnt record or at least release a recording of those in the majority of all those years. We're talking about studio here.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #6888
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Right...but they didnt record or at least release a recording of those in the majority of all those years. We're talking about studio here.
No, I was talking about live debuts, but I think my point still largely stands. Even 2008 had a whole bunch of new covers. 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 total had only the AFTW material as new songs, and those weren't played super frequently. That's absolutely the slowest rate at which new songs have been added to setlists in their career. Find any other 5 year window up to and including 2009 and it contains at least 2.5 albums' worth of new songs.
__________________
Being a Dave Matthews fan in 2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci22 View Post
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #6889
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Berkeley, California
Posts: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
They desperately need the right producer. They currently don’t have that guy. It’s not Cavallo, batson Alagia or even Lillywhite. They need someone else and someone that fits and makes sense. Someone who’s willing to push them hard and not give a crap about doing so. Someone who’s willing to tell Dave “we need more ideas, this is good but it’s not ready, keep writing.” I’d honestly think some no name guy who’s hungry with ambition is better than hiring another top shelf guy who’s just gonna sugar coat stuff for his paycheck.

Someone that can put that fire in them and make them want to prove they still have something left. I think having a positive force like Buddy will be really helpful in keeping spirits and morale high.

Also yes they should go into the studio and record that damn B-Sides album no matter what. Doesn’t need to be even a hugely marketed thing, just do it already.

Daniel Lanois. But maybe that’s to be saved for a DM solo album. An inspired DM with a hero who can lend guitar, pedal steel and a bit of weirdness? Yes please.
__________________
you don't impress me and I find you slightly terrifying.
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #6890
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,333
DMB could also have gone the EP route after Busted Stuff. At that point in their career, they were and still are a perfect candidate for that style of recording. Why try to force out an album of mediocrity when they can just release batches of songs here and there. Think about all those session songs since 2004 that we all love being released on EPs, instead of being scratched because they didn’t fit an album stylistically or they are now considered old. This is just my opinion though.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #6891
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 26,764
I agree. Little Red Bird is a great example of what they could've done.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05919 seconds with 17 queries