These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2020, 01:30 AM   #101
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Really nice.

People really need to shut up at shows. Paying thousands of dollars to talk over the music? Bleh.
Isn't it an all-inclusive beach party? Most people are probably wasted as hell by the time D+T go on. I know I would be. Also, the majority of the fanbase now has no idea what Dreaming Tree is, let's be honest. I'm sure they were plenty quiet during You And Me and Ants. I can't imagine there's tons of hardcore fans that can afford this trip. It's mostly DMBFamily lunatics (who would mortgage their house to go see Dave), and rich corporate execs who are casual listeners.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #102
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Isn't it an all-inclusive beach party? Most people are probably wasted as hell by the time D+T go on. I know I would be. Also, the majority of the fanbase now has no idea what Dreaming Tree is, let's be honest. I'm sure they were plenty quiet during You And Me and Ants. I can't imagine there's tons of hardcore fans that can afford this trip. It's mostly DMBFamily lunatics (who would mortgage their house to go see Dave), and rich corporate execs who are casual listeners.
Your point stands, but they probably werent silent during those songs. They were belting them out with their terrible singing voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #103
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post

People really need to shut up at shows.
The last time I saw Dave Matthews in any capacity was summer of '17 on the D&T tour (it was the first time I'd seen him since a DMB show in '10) and I was so incredibly disappointed with how everyone in the crowd was just talking the WHOLE time. it felt like I was in a bar with some random background musician providing a soundtrack to everyone's drunken conversations. It is easily the most disappointed I've ever been with a concert experience.
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #104
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
The last time I saw Dave Matthews in any capacity was summer of '17 on the D&T tour (it was the first time I'd seen him since a DMB show in '10) and I was so incredibly disappointed with how everyone in the crowd was just talking the WHOLE time. it felt like I was in a bar with some random background musician providing a soundtrack to everyone's drunken conversations. It is easily the most disappointed I've ever been with a concert experience.
Couldnít agree more my man. The quality of music is great but to think 80% of the audience treats it like a fun night out is truly disappointing. It takes away from the idea of what made the whole thing great in the first place.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #105
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Quote:
This is why Europe is the place to see D&T. You can hear a needle drop.
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #106
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschakobi View Post
This is why Europe is the place to see D&T. You can hear a needle drop.
I donít understand why Dave Matthews doesnít do something to try to change the audience culture... can he not tell that people are just talking non stop through D&T shows? It would drive me crazy to know I was putting time and energy into something, and presenting it as my art, only to have people use it as their live drunken party soundtrack. (Iím speaking purely of D&T shows, not full band DMB shows)
And I know itís easy to just dismiss the idea of changing the culture because itís so entrenched... but why not try? I think it would be relatively easy for them to set a level of expectation for D&T events through communication with the fan base, advertising shows as ďA Quiet Evening With...Ē playing indoor theaters instead outdoor of amphitheaters that naturally invite a party atmosphere, communicate through warehouse and post on the official website, maybe even on the ticket itself, some short rationale about how ďat the requests of the performers, audience members should help promote an intimate setting and atmosphere of uninterrupted experience where music will be heard and enjoyed by all. Respectful participation in creating this atmosphere is expected by all ticket holders.Ē

Pie in the sky, Iím sure. I just donít understand why they donít try...
i timh.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #107
patsfan39

Im going to sound like an old man here, but when i saw him in 07 he told quite a few people to shut up.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 02-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #108
mario

He wouldn't be playing at a resort in Mexico if he thought he was presenting art.

I really didnít want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I donít feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu thatís not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that theyíre fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which theyíre supposed to be keeping as clean and ďuncompromisedĒ as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #109
patsfan39

I mean, a lot of bands play these caribbean resorts nowadays. Of the bands I follow Phish, Deadco and Umphrey's McGee all play either at this exact resort, or something similar every year.

Its a cool way to go somewhere fun and see your favorite jam band act.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 02-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #110
mja271

I wouldn't go see Dave Matthews anywhere with the expectation of him "presenting art". He's a 90s jamband adjacent act, not Thom Yorke
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #111
greykitkat36

I think a lot of it is venue related. D+T really isn't a great act for a full blown outdoor amphitheater setting. Acoustic acts are better suited for smaller intimate venues, always have been. While it worked, I think the majority of people would prefer seeing them in a theater. I'd rather D+T do a 4 night stand at The Met in Philly or The Beacon in NY than do amps.

Also, where you are sitting makes a difference. It's the same at any Amp concert. If you sat in the 100s, pit or closer to the stage in 2017, the sound was much louder and the crowd was much quieter and more respective. The further away (200s and Lawn) you're gonna get the causal fan who doesn't give a crap about the actual music and they always just talk and hang out and party.. just because it's acoustic, you hear their talking and bullshit much more so.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #112
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think a lot of it is venue related. D+T really isn't a great act for a full blown outdoor amphitheater setting. Acoustic acts are better suited for smaller intimate venues, always have been. While it worked, I think the majority of people would prefer seeing them in a theater. I'd rather D+T do a 4 night stand at The Met in Philly or The Beacon in NY than do amps.

Also, where you are sitting makes a difference. It's the same at any Amp concert. If you sat in the 100s, pit or closer to the stage in 2017, the sound was much louder and the crowd was much quieter and more respective. The further away (200s and Lawn) you're gonna get the causal fan who doesn't give a crap about the actual music and they always just talk and hang out and party.. just because it's acoustic, you hear their talking and bullshit much more so.
Hell yes.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #113
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I wouldn't go see Dave Matthews anywhere with the expectation of him "presenting art". He's a 90s jamband adjacent act, not Thom Yorke
I've seen Thom Yorke/Radiohead, and fans behave virtually the same no matter what artist you see. Sure it varies, but the modern concertgoer is there for the "songs they know" and to party/have a good time with friends. No matter the band or artist. Hell nowadays most people attend movies and Broadway plays to socialize with friends.

The venue argument is more convincing, as certain venues command certain levels of either respect or etiquette, i.e, Town Hall or The Beacon in NYC, but if you think fans are polite, attentive and quiet for Thom Yorke that is not the case.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #114
dmb1981

Quote:
I don’t understand why Dave Matthews doesn’t do something to try to change the audience culture... can he not tell that people are just talking non stop through D&T shows? It would drive me crazy to know I was putting time and energy into something, and presenting it as my art, only to have people use it as their live drunken party soundtrack. (I’m speaking purely of D&T shows, not full band DMB shows)
And I know it’s easy to just dismiss the idea of changing the culture because it’s so entrenched... but why not try? I think it would be relatively easy for them to set a level of expectation for D&T events through communication with the fan base, advertising shows as “A Quiet Evening With...” playing indoor theaters instead outdoor of amphitheaters that naturally invite a party atmosphere, communicate through warehouse and post on the official website, maybe even on the ticket itself, some short rationale about how “at the requests of the performers, audience members should help promote an intimate setting and atmosphere of uninterrupted experience where music will be heard and enjoyed by all. Respectful participation in creating this atmosphere is expected by all ticket holders.”

Pie in the sky, I’m sure. I just don’t understand why they don’t try...
Tim, I’ve wondered this since the ‘03 tour. It’s just so obvious, I know.

Edit: Tim, you’re the man. You’ve helped me quite a bit with DM tunes. Much respect.

Last edited by dmb1981; 02-21-2020 at 05:28 PM.
dmb1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #115
Steveo Style

This is why I've always liked the pit. You can move away from the annoying people. Loved standing in the back of the pit with room.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #116
gweeps
homesick android

This is absolutely fantastic:

Old 02-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #117
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
This is absolutely fantastic:

yeah... that's really really good. why they haven't been playing this more regularly (not over kill regularly) over the last 2 decades is beyond my understanding.
i timh.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #118
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Now that’s aht.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #119
patsfan39

That rhyme was pretty good. He definitely slips back into autopilot with that song in a good way.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 02-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #120
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Yeah I dug that Rhyme
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc