These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #181
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Dave has always been idiosyncratic and strange, and for every brilliant improvised lyric there are 20 awful ones. I think nowadays he has much better stage presence and his voice the last few years has been fantastic compared to earlier tours. Your points are all valid, and he could certainly try harder if he wanted to, but that's true of all of them to a greater or lesser extent. Jeff could try and do random fills in Digging A Ditch. Rashawn could learn piano. Whatever.

My point is: Dave isn't perfect. Boyd is a disaster. There's a pretty clear goddamn difference, regardless of any reasons behind the situation, and you're just being an ass if you pretend not to agree.
yes.

Quote:
Dave was having trouble remembering lyrics, so he got a teleprompter so that he could still sing correctly. Arguably lazy, but he cared enough to solve the problem.

Boyd is having trouble remembering parts, and is... doing complete fuck all about it?

There's obviously a distinction here.
exactly.

i mean, whether you like their music or not you can't take away Pearl Jam's earned distinction as one of the best live bands around that puts everything they have into their shows from set to performance. but ed has absolutely disastrous nights where he's just fucking everything up lyrically. no one's calling him a lazy piece of shit for it. it's just being a fucking human and having an off night. boyd has had a terrible half decade with random terrible years long before this recent thing even.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #182
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I feel like I (we) give a damn good show, but there are nights when I look at the fretboard and feel like I've never held a guitar before. Or some nights when I can't for the life of me even remember what the song is about right before I start singing.

A few years back my dad and I were watching/listening to dmb trainwrecks, and he chuckled and speculated that I liked hearing them screw up to remind me that they were human. Years later, god save me, he was right. Although after thirty shows, and listening to myriad more, I don't "seek" those moments anymore. Cringed at Pittsburgh a few years ago when Carter had to save the Billies trainwreck
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #183
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

yeah, there's just absolutely no comparison.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #184
drh424s

do we think boyd isn't as talented and/or studious about learning music which is causing this decline or do we think he just doesn't care anymore?

His body language and such to me make it seems like his head just isn't in it
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #185
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Well, he was never as talented and/or studious; I think not giving a shit anymore just kind of sealed the deal, so to speak.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #186
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh424s View Post
do we think boyd isn't as talented and/or studious about learning music which is causing this decline or do we think he just doesn't care anymore?

well he hasn't ever been incredibly talented at his instrument, so i'd argue the latter. just doesnt care anymore, so now what little talent he had has gone by the wayside as a result of not caring enough to preserve it through practice
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #187
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh424s View Post

I bet it's a combination. I think he struggles to keep up with the changes this band has made musically, and therefor he becomes frustrated and tends to give up rather than work harder at it. I'm sure losing Roi didn't help, and he seems to be in a place in his life where he'd rather be home with his family than on the road. I think all of those things come together and influence one another.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #188
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I bet it's a combination. I think he struggles to keep up with the changes this band has made musically, and therefor he becomes frustrated and tends to give up rather than work harder at it. I'm sure losing Roi didn't help, and he seems to be in a place in his life where he'd rather be home with his family than on the road. I think all of those things come together and influence one another.
i timh.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #189
FiddySpence
TDCya

agreed that it's a combination of both
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #190
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Clearly the only answer here is to organize the long needed 'What The Fuck, Boyd?' campaign. At every show, just have someone with a 'What The Fuck, Boyd?' sign stage right. It'd get noticed.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #191
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Clearly the only answer here is to organize the long needed 'What The Fuck, Boyd?' campaign. At every show, just have someone with a 'What The Fuck, Boyd?' sign stage right. It'd get noticed.

"I CAN'T HEAR BOYD" posters might get some attention as well.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #192
holdyouclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
While his sound was much better in the early days, he still skreed like crazy then too. I think his sound now is a product of the following:

A) Laziness, not rehearsing old parts, or creating new parts
B) The terrible violin he is using, he NEEDS to be playing the acoustic. (no question in my mind that Zeta is making him play their product, which doesn't fit him in my opinion)
C) I really think Roi's death really screwed with his head, he stage presence is pretty aweful, barely smiling on stage like he use to, etc.
How can they make him play it?
holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #193
Matteo44

when the crew mutes him, do we know if boyd is aware? i assume he still hears himself through the iem. would be realyy funny if everybody but him knew he was being muted and they let him live ignorant and blissful.
Matteo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #194
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdyouclose View Post
How can they make him play it?
snipers.
i timh.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #195
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo44 View Post
when the crew mutes him, do we know if boyd is aware? i assume he still hears himself through the iem. would be realyy funny if everybody but him knew he was being muted and they let him live ignorant and blissful.
he definitely still hears himself in the iem...
i timh.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #196
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #197
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Not a bad idea.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #198
zaphod!

Quote:
this would be awesome
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #199
timh.
tasty.

huge posters of tablature for his parts
i timh.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #200
holdyouclose

Quote:
Hey, that's a fucking horrible song all around, no arguments here.

Nonetheless, when even your own band's sound people have obviously completely given up on you as a musician, maybe it's time to take a bow.
I wonder if he knows they turn him down/off? Or if anyone in the band notices for that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
There's a set of interviews that came out around the BW release that feature each member. Dave is touring NOLA's destruction areas due to Katrina, Carter is bowling... But Boyd is, of course, at the gym. He basically states that it is hard for him to be on tour - that he missed his family, and he implies he doesn't get to work out as often as he'd like while on tour.
Yeah, cuz the other 20 hours of the day while on tour must be completely booked....
holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc