These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #161
deedisdone81
Bite My Dick Motherfucker!

I honestly could care less about him using a teleprompter. They have a massive catalog with a lot of lyrics, and lets face it, he isn't a kid anymore and years on years of boosing and drugging surely has probably effected his memory and body.
deedisdone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #162
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I agree about Stefan, though more because he has grown with Carter and is so in tune with him. They make a great backbone to this band and I think that would be difficult as well.
it's true that he's a great fit for DMB. i don't want stefan to be replaced, i'm just saying if he were to leave or get hit by a bus the band could carry on conceivably just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedisdone81 View Post
Technically anyone can be replaced, but the further we get from original band members, then its no longer the same band as we knew it.
so? bands evolve and change all the time. no big deal. hell, bands change so much from who they used to be while never switching linueps. as long as the music is good i don't give a fuck who the individual members are that are playing it or whether or not they were always there. i'm a fan of the music, not the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
And yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I forgot to mention complete lack of awareness in setlist creation and losing all ability to improvise lyrics as Dave failures.
oh just shut up, christ you're insufferable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
i agree, stefan is very overlooked in dmb's sound. not necessarily overlooked for his talents, because on the whole of professional bass players out there he's nothing technically astonishing. but, his style, approach, and parts are unique to the sound of dmb. dmb would sound really different with a different bass player. not necessarily better or worse, but very different.
and that would be interesting and something i'd be very open to hearing.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #163
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Also, to be fair with the Gorge video with the forgotten part, that was the very next show after the 2-day break for Roi's funeral. I give him a break on that one.
hey, there's some humanity
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #164
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Also, to be fair with the Gorge video with the forgotten part, that was the very next show after the 2-day break for Roi's funeral. I give him a break on that one.
I don't. They played it earlier in the tour and he did the exact same thing.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #165
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
I honestly could care less about him using a teleprompter. They have a massive catalog with a lot of lyrics, and lets face it, he isn't a kid anymore and years on years of boosing and drugging surely has probably effected his memory and body.
there's no difference between him using a teleprompter or springsteen/vedder using a notebook. people just get upset about the teleprompter because it's a computer and they see it somehow as having less artistic integrity.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #166
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
I mean Dave can go out and recruit Victor Wooten, Slash, Dave Grohl, and some other allstar band members and call it DMB, but its not the same band. Just like Axel Rose can tour around with a bunch of guys and call it GnR, but we know the difference.
i certainly agree with this sentiment, but at the same time i think dmb could follow in the footsteps of the allman brothers band in terms of rotating musicians and still be ok. i mean, dickey betts was a founding member and is still alive, but his ass got kicked out. not to mention the untimely deaths of 2 founding members. but for the abb fanbase, they're just as relevant now as they were in the 70s. as long as dave has one or two originals in the band, they can keep going
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #167
deedisdone81
Bite My Dick Motherfucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post

so? bands evolve and change all the time. no big deal. hell, bands change so much from who they used to be while never switching linueps. as long as the music is good i don't give a fuck who the individual members are that are playing it or whether or not they were always there. i'm a fan of the music, not the people.
I think this is where we both differ in opinion. I surely care about the music, but at the same time I want to go see the band I came to love, not a bunch of randoms who can make great music.
deedisdone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #168
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
I mean Dave can go out and recruit Victor Wooten, Slash, Dave Grohl, and some other allstar band members and call it DMB, but its not the same band.
you're right, that band sounds way fucking better.

Quote:
so? everyone else bucked the fuck up.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #169
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
I think this is where we both differ in opinion. I surely care about the music, but at the same time I want to go see the band I came to love, not a bunch of randoms who can make great music.
that is just so bizarre to me.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #170
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
I don't see it as an either/or proposition. I loved the Flecktones with Howard Levy, then without him and touring with Paul McCandless, then with Jeff Coffin, and with Jeff Coffin + all the random guest musicians on Outbound, and now with Howard Levy again. The differences were part of the fun.

Part of what's neat about being a DMB fan is all the different eras of their sound. I'd definitely be intrigued by a period without a violin, or with a different violinist, or with a different instrument altogether. Or a minimalist show with just Dave, Carter, Stefan, Tim and Jeff. Or even without Jeff; tight 4-piece rock outfit. Could be fun. Or whatever else.

How many more identical versions of a song with the same set of people do you really need?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #171
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Agree. Call us traditionalists.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #172
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Agree. Call us traditionalists.
that's not what i'd call you, typsitch.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #173
typsitch

Quote:
oh just shut up, christ you're insufferable.
Yet here I am trying to give Boyd the benefit of the doubt and I'm the always-negative insufferable one. Because I call out Dave and not Boyd. Yet you can't really argue any of the points.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #174
FiddySpence
TDCya

wait, we're calling out roi?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #175
Jayes

Quote:
wait, we're calling out roi?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #176
typsitch

I accidentally said Roi intead of Boyd for about 3 milliseconds prior to edit
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #177
Thrawn

Quote:
Yet here I am trying to give Boyd the benefit of the doubt and I'm the always-negative insufferable one. Because I call out Dave and not Boyd. Yet you can't really argue any of the points.
Dave has always been idiosyncratic and strange, and for every brilliant improvised lyric there are 20 awful ones. I think nowadays he has much better stage presence and his voice the last few years has been fantastic compared to earlier tours. Your points are all valid, and he could certainly try harder if he wanted to, but that's true of all of them to a greater or lesser extent. Jeff could try and do random fills in Digging A Ditch. Rashawn could learn piano. Whatever.

My point is: Dave isn't perfect. Boyd is a disaster. There's a pretty clear goddamn difference, regardless of any reasons behind the situation, and you're just being an ass if you pretend not to agree.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #178
Thrawn

Dave was having trouble remembering lyrics, so he got a teleprompter so that he could still sing correctly. Arguably lazy, but he cared enough to solve the problem.

Boyd is having trouble remembering parts, and is... doing complete fuck all about it?

There's obviously a distinction here.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #179
Jayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Dave has always been idiosyncratic and strange, and for every brilliant improvised lyric there are 20 awful ones. I think nowadays he has much better stage presence and his voice the last few years has been fantastic compared to earlier tours. Your points are all valid, and he could certainly try harder if he wanted to, but that's true of all of them to a greater or lesser extent. Jeff could try and do random fills in Digging A Ditch. Rashawn could learn piano. Whatever.

My point is: Dave isn't perfect. Boyd is a disaster. There's a pretty clear goddamn difference, regardless of any reasons behind the situation, and you're just being an ass if you pretend not to agree.
FWIW, I'm behind this one
Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #180
typsitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Dave was having trouble remembering lyrics, so he got a teleprompter so that he could still sing correctly. Arguably lazy, but he cared enough to solve the problem.

Boyd is having trouble remembering parts, and is... doing complete fuck all about it?

There's obviously a distinction here.
Agree. I wasn't trying to compare the two, though i would venture further than your label of "not perfect" for Dave.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc