These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #121
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,871
He's always been the weak point of the band, and he's had some poor stretches in the past, but nothing like this.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #122
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Nobody knows the whole story here. I wonder if management or the band has already or should get involved with trying to promote some encouragement. I'd like to see a wholehearted effort on that front - especially from the band - on getting him more involved before I'd say it's a lost cause. Hell, give him another True Reflections if that's what it takes. Probably better lyrics than Dave can come up with now anyways.
true reflection's lyrics are worse than 99% of what dave has put down.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #123
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
true reflection's lyrics are worse than 99% of what dave has put down.
I was referring to an imaginary new song by Boyd.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #124
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
i've been saying boyd sucks for years... glad people are finally seeing it
ah yes, this is a brand new complaint.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #125
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
i've been saying boyd sucks for years... glad people are finally seeing it
It's nothing new, but I think people are just fed up with it. Boyd has never been an exceptional violin player by any means. His parts have always been fairly limited, but he had a role in this band and used to at least be able to keep up for the most part.
__________________
UN-BAN SMITTAY! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! #OccupyTDC #Smittay

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #126
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,212
Nah. Angel and Everybody Wake Up are worse than True Reflections. Steady is pretty bad, too. There are others up that way as well.

I love the horns on Blackjack.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #127
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Ah-ha! Found it. Blackjack mute at about :32 seconds.

Sorry, that's embarassing for the whole band AND crew, leaving the video screens on him and everything. Very poor

I know someone is sitting back there at FOH holding the PFL on boyd's fader just searching for anything usable
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #128
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,357
There's a set of interviews that came out around the BW release that feature each member. Dave is touring NOLA's destruction areas due to Katrina, Carter is bowling... But Boyd is, of course, at the gym. He basically states that it is hard for him to be on tour - that he missed his family, and he implies he doesn't get to work out as often as he'd like while on tour.
__________________
UN-BAN SMITTAY! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! #OccupyTDC #Smittay

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #129
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Nah. Angel and Everybody Wake Up are worse than True Reflections. Steady is pretty bad, too. There are others up that way as well.

I love the horns on Blackjack.
99% isn't 100% gweeps. and i vehemently disagree that Everybody Wake Up is worse than True Reflections.

"remember the time you hung out with the boys now
remember the things you used to say
I thought by now you'd be the president
but after all that was yesterday
you've had time to go out in the world now
but you chose to run away
people ask you what you're doin' now
you don't even know what to say

you think life is like a movie
where it all works out in the end
I think life is like a dessert
Where does it go where does it begin "


this may not be as awkward as some of what dave has done, but it's forehead slapping stupid. i mean, just so obvious and dumb. that's just as bad, if not worse, than "i call you up, you pick up" or singing about hungry bears or some shit
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #130
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
There's a set of interviews that came out around the BW release that feature each member. Dave is touring NOLA's destruction areas due to Katrina, Carter is bowling... But Boyd is, of course, at the gym. He basically states that it is hard for him to be on tour - that he missed his family, and he implies he doesn't get to work out as often as he'd like while on tour.
the real kicker
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #131
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
I think life is like a dessert
I wish it was.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #132
deedisdone81
Bite My Dick Motherfucker!
 
deedisdone81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 18,065
I don't see how the band can survive without another core member leaving or dying, even if its such a small intricate part of the band as Boyd.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR DEAN KARR View Post
I've been known to pimp a few ho's
deedisdone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #133
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions
 
Caveat Emperor's Avatar
 
Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 6,864
You'll note that he managed to include "works out" into the lyrics. That's kind of impressive.
__________________
- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #134
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I wish it was.
copy and pasted from the almighty almanac.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deedisdone81 View Post
I don't see how the band can survive without another core member leaving or dying, even if its such a small intricate part of the band as Boyd.
considering they're better right now than they have been since at least 1998 (imo) i don't see it being an issue. it's not like roi's death crippled them. they had been working with jeff for months prior to it happening and basically carried on without a hitch.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #135
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,295
Not really sticking up for him, but sometimes it feels like he gets the brunt of all DMB frustrations here.

Where the knock on Dave for writing crappy songs, being a complete lyrical memory cripple without his teleprompter crutch, lame piano parts, and a diminished guitar presence (perhaps due to Tim, fair) which at times being unable to play guitar and sing at the same time anymore (Seven). He's lost a step too. Not saying he's anywhere near Boyd but just throwing that out there.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #136
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,871
It is true that as the band gets farther and farther away from what fans from their heyday expect to see that they'll get less and less popular. But Tim Reynolds was a huge part of their sound in the Big 3 era, what with being on all their studio albums and two out of the first three live releases (not to mention L@LC). I feel like he basically counts as an original member to most people.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #137
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Not really sticking up for him, but sometimes it feels like he gets the brunt of all DMB frustrations here.

Where the knock on Dave for writing crappy songs, being a complete lyrical memory cripple without his teleprompter crutch, lame piano parts, and a diminished guitar presence (perhaps due to Tim, fair) which at times being unable to play guitar and sing at the same time anymore (Seven). He's lost a step too. Not saying he's anywhere near Boyd but just throwing that out there.
there's your answer.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #138
timh.
tasty.
 
timh.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post
like, that Help Myself video makes me mad. what is his job here? collecting a huge paycheck to not remember what to play? to be completely out of tune and checked out?
exactly. to me, it just seems to be a slap in the face to people who paid money to go to the show. ethically, he should feel some level of responsibility to fulfill his part of the consumer contract that is assumed through us buying tickets and supporting him. does he just not think enough of the thousands of fans at that show to put forth 15 minutes before the show nailing down a part? pretty poor.
__________________
my grammar always sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #139
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedisdone81 View Post
I don't see how the band can survive without another core member leaving or dying, even if its such a small intricate part of the band as Boyd.
Agree.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #140
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
It is true that as the band gets farther and farther away from what fans from their heyday expect to see that they'll get less and less popular. But Tim Reynolds was a huge part of their sound in the Big 3 era, what with being on all their studio albums and two out of the first three live releases (not to mention L@LC). I feel like he basically counts as an original member to most people.
this is not necessarily true.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11388 seconds with 28 queries