These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #61
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

2005. Everyday is at least a decent modern rock album. What the fuck is Stand Up? Some fevered wet dream of Mark Batson and Dave's half-cooked chord progressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #62
BigVodka

I had a great year in 2005. Had just moved to Virginia so I was seeing new venues. Dave busting out the electric more. There was a new energy to the band with those tunes. Robert Randolph was the new guest. I don't know, I just made that shit work.

worst year -'92

unformed songs, rambling lyrics, Carter on really small kit (no double kick drum), dave's high pitched voice. Spotlight, give me a break with those cheese ball lyrics. Only highlights - #2sets, happy salsa two step, dave solo starts.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #63
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
I had a great year in 2005. Had just moved to Virginia so I was seeing new venues. Dave busting out the electric more. There was a new energy to the band with those tunes. Robert Randolph was the new guest. I don't know, I just made that shit work.

worst year -'92

unformed songs, rambling lyrics, Carter on really small kit (no double kick drum), dave's high pitched voice. Spotlight, give me a break with those cheese ball lyrics. Only highlights - #2sets, happy salsa two step, dave solo starts.
Can we ban this troll now?

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #64
BigVodka

So for shits and giggles I was watching that Ď92 proshot show and in Typical that 1-2-3 jam popped up and it kind of blew my mind. I donít remember ever hearing that when listening in the 90ís and thought it was new when they, I guess brought it back, in early 2000ís. Thatís crazy. Rapunzel in Ď94 is crazy. I wonít give it away is crazy. Makes you wonder what else they had/have in the vault.

Also stumbled upon pfwyg and Typical recordings for RTT which I never knew of. Itís fun to find new (to me) shit like that after all the years.

I understand all the hate and disappointment on these boards, but I gotta say I did a pretty good job of pacing myself and managing expectations to be listening as long as I have and not be all hung up and bitter. Iím psyched for the new album. Iíll get a J and curl up for a listen and itíll be great.

Sorry for the stupid posts Mario. I get bored and like stupid jokes. But I appreciate being here and do not intend to inflame. I think thatís understood. Someone can tell you how to hide all my posts from your view. But I wonít hide yours, in case you were wondering.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #65
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Can we ban this troll now?
I started listening to these guys in 93 and of course a lot of the shows I would first hear were from 92, I'm not sure how anyone can actually think that with this band this is the worst year. Even if you argue their actual playing is not as solid as other years, I still don't see how it would be the worst.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #66
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
2005. Everyday is at least a decent modern rock album. What the fuck is Stand Up? Some fevered wet dream of Mark Batson and Dave's half-cooked chord progressions.
Everyday at least sounds complete and finished. Stand Up sounds like cut and paste job and did not sound done at all, sounded a lot like rough drafts to me. I remember buying it the day it came out when I was in College and popped it in and was so pissed and incredibly dissapointed. I think the actual CD I only played like 5 times total ever, and that was it.

Worst year for me personally was '15. One of the first times I went to several DMB shows and left every single one of them unsatisfied and really let down. While I did knock a lot of wanted songs off my bucket list, The 2 sets acoustic thing was already old to me by then (I loved it '14 and liked the idea) but it got so repetitive and terribly by '15 I was just praying they'd go back to the normal format. Should have never done that two years in a row. Dave starting the show solo with the same songs every night, just really uninteresting to me. On top of that, the new songs that were played did absolutely nothing for me and made me disassociate even more from DMB than ever before. Luckily '16 got me back in.

I'd say objectively though, if you look at it from a less emotional view, it has to be either '05 or '01. Both years were huge turning points in their career and both could be argued as "beginning of the end" kind of years. I think '05 is worse simply because the songs from Stand Up were worse, were drilled into the ground and all the good songs from BS and LWS were starting to get shelved, so it was really just a lot of crap in the setlists.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #67
Chris Welch

2001. Aside from Everyday (and songs being played right after the record/without much live evolution), don't you all remember how SLOW the band played everything back then? Even stuff like Rapunzel.

Spring 2002 finally brought the tempo up, where it's stayed since.
Chris Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #68
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Welch View Post
2001. Aside from Everyday (and songs being played right after the record/without much live evolution), don't you all remember how SLOW the band played everything back then? Even stuff like Rapunzel.

Spring 2002 finally brought the tempo up, where it's stayed since.
Yeah April and May 2002 were some great times.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc