These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,712
I really wish Hello Again had been left off 'Stand Up'.

Nothing new here at all, but I was listening to a few HAs from 2004/5 and I got to rethinking:

It really doesn't fit the album at all. Plus, the version is the worst I've ever heard. It's a fun, rocking song with a very serious subject matter and they turned it into some hillbilly shtick. I know they couldn't capture its live intensity, but it's like they didn't even try. Sounds like they did one take and let Batson loop everything.

Then Batson thought it would be a great idea to chop it in half. We had to make do until some kind soul leaked the full promo version.

So, instead of looking forward to maybe having HA on the upcoming album, we have to make to with the Stand Up abortion.

Worst translation of a DMB song from the live setting to the studio. Just awful.

Oh yeah, and listening to 2005 versions and all the scatting Dave still did in the song, makes me think he never really finished the lyric.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
jakeopolis
i am the proudest monkey
 
jakeopolis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 113
i fully agree, on every word.
jakeopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Nova Scotia
I am Lono
 
Nova Scotia's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,559
ya it's pretty bad. the fact it hasn't been played since 05 is worse. 04 versions > 05. butch's organ is cheese.
__________________
"Buy the ticket, take the ride."

HST
Nova Scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
kaisek
You f@#kin suck at this.
 
kaisek's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Nothing new here at all, but I was listening to a few HAs from 2004/5 and I got to rethinking:

It really doesn't fit the album at all. Plus, the version is the worst I've ever heard. It's a fun, rocking song with a very serious subject matter and they turned it into some hillbilly shtick. I know they couldn't capture its live intensity, but it's like they didn't even try. Sounds like they did one take and let Batson loop everything.

Then Batson thought it would be a great idea to chop it in half. We had to make do until some kind soul leaked the full promo version.

So, instead of looking forward to maybe having HA on the upcoming album, we have to make to with the Stand Up abortion.

Worst translation of a DMB song from the live setting to the studio. Just awful.

Oh yeah, and listening to 2005 versions and all the scatting Dave still did in the song, makes me think he never really finished the lyric.
EASILY the worst translation from live to studio. It's pretty awful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon spengler View Post
well it technically doesn't matter, since these clips are pretty clearly dmb.. but if they somehow turn out not to be, it'll be a three-course meal (hat, father, cock), followed by glue fisting for dessert.
kaisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
noletorious901
Go Noles
 
noletorious901's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,346
I agree with all above
noletorious901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
cgator41
Johnny Mac
 
cgator41's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Nothing new here at all, but I was listening to a few HAs from 2004/5 and I got to rethinking:

It really doesn't fit the album at all. Plus, the version is the worst I've ever heard. It's a fun, rocking song with a very serious subject matter and they turned it into some hillbilly shtick. I know they couldn't capture its live intensity, but it's like they didn't even try. Sounds like they did one take and let Batson loop everything.

Then Batson thought it would be a great idea to chop it in half. We had to make do until some kind soul leaked the full promo version.

So, instead of looking forward to maybe having HA on the upcoming album, we have to make to with the Stand Up abortion.

Worst translation of a DMB song from the live setting to the studio. Just awful.

Oh yeah, and listening to 2005 versions and all the scatting Dave still did in the song, makes me think he never really finished the lyric.
yep. you pretty much said it all. what a waste.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
kaisek
You f@#kin suck at this.
 
kaisek's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,714
This kinda made me think though. What if DDTW wasn't on an album and it went from the current or peak live version to what it is on BTCS.

I think it would get a similar reaction.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon spengler View Post
well it technically doesn't matter, since these clips are pretty clearly dmb.. but if they somehow turn out not to be, it'll be a three-course meal (hat, father, cock), followed by glue fisting for dessert.
kaisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
CRUSHsoccer15
 
CRUSHsoccer15's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, Texas From: Sittingbourne, England
Posts: 10,897
eh, i dont get the huge love that this song gets.


however, i do love:

Hello Again > Ants Marching encore from Australia.

The Roseland version is awesome also
__________________
John Dab
CRUSHsoccer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisek View Post
This kinda made me think though. What if DDTW wasn't on an album and it went from the current or peak live version to what it is on BTCS.

I think it would get a similar reaction.
Except BTCS Don't Drink is actually tasetfully produced. Hello Again on Stand Up is sort of annoying.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
eh, i dont get the huge love that this song gets.
It's a decent song. Nothing over the top, but I hope it comes back. What I think it really has going for it is that it is unique.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
vandamit
B R E W E R S
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 5,826
jus trrble
__________________
- Jan
vandamit@gmail.com
AIM: vandamit82

vandamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
spoke.
 
spoke.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 4,498
08.01.04 version

HTML Code:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2v18nk
spoke. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
malachite00
 
malachite00's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,960
I haven't listened to any Hello Again's played after Stand Up was released. Did the live version go downhill too?
__________________
Too much of a good thing, maybe not so sweet....
malachite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachite00 View Post
I haven't listened to any Hello Again's played after Stand Up was released. Did the live version go downhill too?
I'd say it got better. They sped it up in late '05 and a lot of people don't like that, but even before that I think most versions beat out the 04 versions.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,712
I actually like the song sped up.

And to be honest, I wouldn't dislike its inclusion on Stand Up if it were the full thing.

Oh, and why hasn't Bela guested on this? Worst missed opportunity with a guest ever.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
Steveo Style
 
Steveo Style's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,158
I remember in an interview Dave was talking about which songs were left off the album because they didn't "fit" with the style of the album. He said something like "Hello Again was a no-brainer to include on this album because it fits so well". I couldn't disagree more.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I'd say it got better. They sped it up in late '05 and a lot of people don't like that, but even before that I think most versions beat out the 04 versions.
It was like they were on speed during the Red Rocks '05 version. I've seen a lot of people put it down, but I really enjoy it (except for the editing blunder "got a little feeling from ya'll").
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
kaisek
You f@#kin suck at this.
 
kaisek's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Except BTCS Don't Drink is actually tasetfully produced. Hello Again on Stand Up is sort of annoying.
true
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon spengler View Post
well it technically doesn't matter, since these clips are pretty clearly dmb.. but if they somehow turn out not to be, it'll be a three-course meal (hat, father, cock), followed by glue fisting for dessert.
kaisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
CRUSHsoccer15
 
CRUSHsoccer15's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, Texas From: Sittingbourne, England
Posts: 10,897
thank god they got a full version to us, so have one that isn't a complete abortion.
__________________
John Dab
CRUSHsoccer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
I remember in an interview Dave was talking about which songs were left off the album because they didn't "fit" with the style of the album. He said something like "Hello Again was a no-brainer to include on this album because it fits so well". I couldn't disagree more.
Dave also said in a 2005 interview how Stand Up was "shallow" and how he was sad some songs were left off. Maybe if they had made it, HA would have been left for another album or as a live feature?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11306 seconds with 29 queries