These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #61
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This would require them tracking that guy down for his approval. 10.31.98 was ready to go for a long time and held up by getting the legal stuff with Joshua Redman done at glacial speed.
Huh interesting. Redman is all over a bunch of Umphrey's stuff that he's guested on and has been released one way or the other. Any idea why the particular hold up with that release?
Quote:
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #62
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I would doubt it's financial. Guests don't get royalties from live releases, at least those who have performed with DMB like the Flecktones and Warren.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #63
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Huh interesting. Redman is all over a bunch of Umphrey's stuff that he's guested on and has been released one way or the other. Any idea why the particular hold up with that release?
Things are different now then they were before. There's more foresight into agreements, and it could be that if he's all over their releases they have an understanding where 15 years later making sure that you cross all your Ts legally. All shows get sent to legal, legal then determines steps that need to be taken and sometimes that means things get pushed back or extra steps like when Zeppelin stuff was deleted from a DVD. Most of it comes down to what agreements you have in your possession. UM might have that from him and they didn't because he just dropped by and played on a few tunes.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #64
mja271

Quote:
Things are different now then they were before. There's more foresight into agreements, and it could be that if he's all over their releases they have an understanding where 15 years later making sure that you cross all your Ts legally. All shows get sent to legal, legal then determines steps that need to be taken and sometimes that means things get pushed back or extra steps like when Zeppelin stuff was deleted from a DVD. Most of it comes down to what agreements you have in your possession. UM might have that from him and they didn't because he just dropped by and played on a few tunes.
Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Quote:
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #65
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I would doubt it's financial. Guests don't get royalties from live releases, at least those who have performed with DMB like the Flecktones and Warren.
This might have been true back when you talked to Bela if I'm remembering that right. It is not any more. They do guest payouts. Maybe not royalties, but definitely payouts.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #66
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
It was still true when they released 11/30/98 though. So maybe it's something that changed within the last year?
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #67
celluloid hero

I don't have a lot of details to be honest, would a download be different than a physical disc?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #68
mjf

Quote:
I bought it, don't have a record player, but a really nice package
any excuse to get into collecting vinyl is a good one man, gotta start somewhere
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #69
Klooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Love that this isn't single heavy.
Hear, hear. This was downright stunning, and basically clinched my purchase. If it was populated with Ants, Jimi, Space, Shake Me, WWYS, Crash Into Me and Tripping Billies instead of Doobie Thing, Raven, Busted Stuff, BEF>>Granny, Snow Outside, Kit Kat Jam, Break For It (always been a fan of that one), I would have passed.

When this hit my email, the ONLY thing I was hoping for that didn't make the cut was Blue Water Baboon Farm. There's a lot of variety in here, a lot to like. And yeah the vinyl plays to a small section of the fan base, but this was a cool, inspired idea—even if the cost is steep.

Falling Off the Roof is random as all hell. Swapping that with, say, Yoshi's #40 or one of the '04 songs would've been superb.
Klooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #70
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klooner View Post
Falling Off the Roof is random as all hell. Swapping that with, say, Yoshi's #40 or one of the '04 songs would've been superb.
As it was the only time played, and I really don't want 7.8.07 as a release, this is the perfect place for this. Get a version out there. When you ignore our day-to-day DMBness and overknowledge and take this sentence for what it is by any band:

"Limited number expensive vinyl collector's set available to fan club members for pre-order with expected quick sell out containing the only performance of a song that most of the fan base hasn't even heard."

It's non-random, entirely fits this release and is part of what makes it special. We sometimes criticize them for the effort, and you can argue song picks all day, but there's care that went into this and Falling Off the Roof to me, is part of that result.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #71
Klooner

Quote:
As it was the only time played, and I really don't want 7.8.07 as a release, this is the perfect place for this. Get a version out there. When you ignore our day-to-day DMBness and overknowledge and take this sentence for what it is by any band:

"Limited number expensive vinyl collector's set available to fan club members for pre-order with expected quick sell out containing the only performance of a song that most of the fan base hasn't even heard."

It's non-random, entirely fits this release and is part of what makes it special. We sometimes criticize them for the effort, and you can argue song picks all day, but there's care that went into this and Falling Off the Roof to me, is part of that result.
Totally valid. Could also argue that songs such as Blue Water, #40 or Sugar Will are much more endemic to the story of DMB's 25 years, while a one-off like Falling Off the Roof would fit just as appropriately, if not more so, on a WH disc.

That's not a big critique, just an extended thought. The compilation far exceeded my expectations. And it's true that none of these cuts have ever been officially released via any other disc/DL?
Klooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #72
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klooner View Post
Totally valid. Could also argue that songs such as Blue Water, #40 or Sugar Will are much more endemic to the story of DMB's 25 years, while a one-off like Falling Off the Roof would fit just as appropriately, if not more so, on a WH disc.

That's not a big critique, just an extended thought. The compilation far exceeded my expectations. And it's true that none of these cuts have ever been officially released via any other disc/DL?
I gotcha, this is not the story of DMB's 25 years though. If it were, there would be more than just DDTW as a single. This is the opposite, it's solely aimed at us as 25 years of songs you would like. I gotta be honest, I love all those songs more than Falling Off the Roof. But do I need another Sugar Will vs. the only version of this? I personally don't. I always steer towards the unique, even if I like the other song more - I have plenty including the Stand Up bonus disc, a Santana version, Alpine, a few of the later versions.

As far as I can tell, there are no repeats. Worth noting that Say Goodbye is 7.25.00 and that is what The Greatest Hits live disc claims, but that version is really 7.5.00 that was mislabeled. Maybe this is a make-good :-).
Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #73
Bluewater34
Is Old

Interesting idea, I'm glad they're doing it, but I can't say that I find most of these picks all that exciting. Definitely a few interesting ones, but the majority seem pretty much fine.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #74
Mitch

Oh cool. Looks like a nice package.

I'm sure there will be a digital and/or CD version eventually.

Nice little Monday music surprise.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #75
dmb2much40

I'd like to pick this up digitally. Pretty cool they put this together.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #76
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Id still love to hear that studio version of "Jackpot," from a few years back.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #77
Vincent
Theologian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Neat surprise. $175 is a smidge steep. I'm torn.
A smidge? For 5 records, normally 20-$25 each? Cap$hawed again.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #78
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
A smidge? For 5 records, normally 20-$25 each? Cap$hawed again.
5 records at $25 is $125

plus the hardcover book

plus the nice package

plus the fact it's a limited print run?

Doesn't seem THAT insane.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #79
sdaltons

Still hope someday Don't Fear the Reaper and Runnin Down A Dream will get released. Can't imagine BOC or Petty standing in their way.

Also could they please cover You Can Call Me Al, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #80
NiCK Crush

I want a DMB version of Solsbury Hill too.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc