These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Josh.0

But, srsly. Why don't DMB or D+T play Red Rocks anymore?

It's so strange that one of the most progressive and jamband friendly parts of the country - Denver County - goes largely ignored by both DMB and DM these days. We're at a point where demand for the band and D+T roughly fits mid-sized venues yet the band/Dave don't view Red Rocks as a "must" on each tour?

Arguably their most famous live release is Red Rocks. Yet since 1998 they've made exactly one stop there during the godawful Stand Up tour. Almost 20 years. One stop. Made sense from like 1998 - 2008ish when they were selling out multiple nights at large venues.

But now? How has it been so long? Why? What don't we know about why they ignore arguably one of the three most iconic amphitheaters in the country? You play Gilford, NH but not Red Rocks?

I've been to Alpine. I've been to SPAC. Haven't been to Gorge. But of the first two, Red Rocks >>>>>>>> both. I realize they're all larger venues, but you can pack almost 10K at Red Rocks each night and easily sell thousands of live releases afterwards. I was at Petty the other night at RR and it was pure fucking magic. How is Dave freakin' Matthews not a regular presence these days?

It doesn't make sense. I've heard the crew doesn't like setting up there, but A) Is that true? and B) Really a sufficient enough reason to never play it at all? Or, for that matter, play ANYWHERE in the Denver metro area at all? I mean, for Dave it's like a <2 hour flight from Seattle. It almost feels like they're going out of their way not to play it anymore.

Maybe it's the cost of booking the venue?

Scratch my head every year that passes that the band and Dave get older and they don't take advantage of how well their music and that venue mix. It's an easy sellout and amazing night for everyone involved.

Maybe they're just resting on their laurels and booking cheaper places that'll most benefit the bottom line? Don't want to deal with longtime, much more knowledgeable fans flocking to the venue? The horror.

And before anyone says this - I would have made this post before moving to Colorado. It's been a head-scratcher for me for years.

Makes no sense.

That is all.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Josh.0

Just thought of maybe another possible reason: the altitude. Maybe certain band members are too out of shape to deal with it or Dave's worried about his voice not being pretty enough because of the dryness?

I think that could be a reason but then remember 66-year-old former heroin addict Tom Petty tearing the place down the other night (twice, actually) and realize that the altitude can't possibly be the reason.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I have a hard time comparing Red Rocks to anything - especially an Alpine. They are just not similar in any way other than it's a place to see music. Apples to oranges for me. Alpine will always be my favorite music venue. Red Rocks is absolutely incredible. Super cool to have it as my "home" venue out here. No question a big factor in me moving here was the vibrant music scene. There's a show every night. Great outdoor venues, great indoor venues, some cool mountain venues.

This weekend with Dead/Co at Folsom Field and a Friday night aftershow with a jam band in the Boulder Threatre is going to be an incredible weekend. Can't wait.

I went to John Prine Sunday night at Red Rocks and thought, "why the hell isn't Dave and Tim playing here?" Then I see that the tour is over in like two weeks? Maybe they'll add a late show at Red Rocks - there's plenty of open dates. Friday, Aug 4? Sunday, Sept 3, Sunday sept 17 plus a handful of mid week dates.

It's a no-brainer for D/T to be there. Maybe it'll still be announced.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Josh, if you haven't already check out the Mishawaka theatre in Bellvue. Awesome little outdoor venue on the Poudre River.

And get up to the Caribou Room in Nederland. That's a gem. In fact just go up to Nederland because it's one of the coolest towns out here.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Mitch

Is this thread only for you recent Denver transplants to jerk each other off?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I have a hard time comparing Red Rocks to anything - especially an Alpine. They are just not similar in any way other than it's a place to see music. Apples to oranges for me. Alpine will always be my favorite music venue. Red Rocks is absolutely incredible. Super cool to have it as my "home" venue out here. No question a big factor in me moving here was the vibrant music scene. There's a show every night. Great outdoor venues, great indoor venues, some cool mountain venues.

This weekend with Dead/Co at Folsom Field and a Friday night aftershow with a jam band in the Boulder Threatre is going to be an incredible weekend. Can't wait.

I went to John Prine Sunday night at Red Rocks and thought, "why the hell isn't Dave and Tim playing here?" Then I see that the tour is over in like two weeks? Maybe they'll add a late show at Red Rocks - there's plenty of open dates. Friday, Aug 4? Sunday, Sept 3, Sunday sept 17 plus a handful of mid week dates.

It's a no-brainer for D/T to be there. Maybe it'll still be announced.
I agree that Alpine is a great venue. So is SPAC (which I prefer over Alpine because I think outside of the amphitheater itself Alpine is overrated whereas SPAC is in an amazing town and park).

But like, a lot of people think "Dave Matthews" when they hear "Red Rocks" because of the success of the live album. And he never shows. It's so bizarre.

It's the one place I've been to that, as soon as my first show started (Tycho), I was like, "Holy shit, NOTHING is overstated or overrated about this place." The natural acoustics, the Denver skyline in the background giving way to the high plains to the east, the open sky with stars scattered above you. The red hue with stage lights reflecting off of them. The crowd, with each and every person realizing they're living a truly special moment. Hell, even the *literal* hike up to the venue when you're walking along the natural hiking trails in disbelief that at the end of your hike you're going to be in one of the most beautiful concert venues in the world.

There's literally nothing else like it.

I'm not asking them to stop once this year or next year, I'm asking them to make it a regular stop like Gorge, Alpine, and SPAC until they're done as musicians. There is no other experience like it anywhere. It's better than Alpine, it's better than SPAC. Nothing against those venues, but Red Rocks feels like an entirely different universe when you're there. I mean, sure, legal weed helps with that, but every time I leave I keep thinking about it for weeks.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You can couch surf at my place and catch the Cheeba Hut bus with me up to the venue if they come to town! No rules on that thing. It's like international waters.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
mjf

Yeah sucks D&T didn't stop there this tour, I'd definitely have made the trip out for that. D&T played there in '08 for some political bullshit thing that was private I think
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Yeah sucks D&T didn't stop there this tour, I'd definitely have made the trip out for that. D&T played there in '08 for some political bullshit thing that was private I think
Yeah the only stop Dave's made in, now, years, was a short solo set last fall at a Clinton/Kaine rally. I was around a bunch of recent-grad yuppies that barely knew any of the songs and peppered us with lame political speeches and "chants" up until Dave hit the stage and then immediately after he stepped off of it. Dave was great, but the experience was awful.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Would love a pro release of this. Great version

Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
All the natives hate us for moving here so it's all we got mitch.

edibles and tdc gets me through my days between red rocks shows
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
All the natives hate us for moving here so it's all we got mitch.

edibles and tdc gets me through my days between red rocks shows

Truest thing ever said on TDC.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I would guess it is a combination of many things. Probably a lot of those reasons plus some others. There also could be something as simple as amenities and space back stage. That's a lot of kids backstage. I mean phish doesn't play there anymore either (though Trey just did). I feel like we've heard the promotor wants them to play dicks instead. Coran obviously controls all of it. It could be as simple as it is just easier and more profitable to play dick's and the band just doesn't care enough to make a big stink about it. I mean, if stefan says, hey coran can we play red rocks? He'd probably just say, 'we'll look into it," and then just do whatevers profitable from a business standpoint. They're such a massive band that has literally done it all. I bet dave is just gets the dates in his email and he is fine with whatever.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #14
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I would guess it is a combination of many things. Probably a lot of those reasons plus some others. There also could be something as simple as amenities and space back stage. That's a lot of kids backstage. I mean phish doesn't play there anymore either (though Trey just did). I feel like we've heard the promotor wants them to play dicks instead. Coran obviously controls all of it. It could be as simple as it is just easier and more profitable to play dick's and the band just doesn't care enough to make a big stink about it. I mean, if stefan says, hey coran can we play red rocks? He'd probably just say, 'we'll look into it," and then just do whatevers profitable from a business standpoint.
Agreed to all of the above. The shame is if it comes down to "comfort," then they really are at a point where they'd rather act like privileged rockstars than musicians that are in it to create the best possible experience(s) for their fans.

Not to mention, Red Rocks is in the middle of the enormous Denver Mountain Parks system (which contains >14,000 acres of play space). What more would you want your kids to have access to on summer days and nights? There's more space there than anywhere when it comes to concert venues. Maybe not *directly* backstage, but when it comes to the entirety of a stay at a venue, there's no place with more space east of the Gorge. There are literally mountain bike trails scattered around the venue - isn't that right up Dave's alley?

If it comes down to Coran, I hope he realizes the band is at a point where they've made themselves and himself so much money it's unimaginable and maybe it's time to shift the focus, as the guys enter the last 1/3rd of their lives, back to the most memorable, shared experiences possible between them and their fans?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The Gorillaz are playing there this year which struck me as very odd.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
The Gorillaz are playing there this year which struck me as very odd.
Red Rocks gets a huge variety of acts and events. Probably 95% of nights from May until October is booked with something. On the weekends there's often a morning event and then a night concert. Next weekend I'm going to something called "Yoga on the Rocks," which is HUGE out here and sells out every weekend all summer long. That's thousands and thousands of tickets to yoga that all sell out, every weekend, almost the minute they're put on sale.

Yoga!

Anything Dave-related would sell out in minutes. They could play five shows and they'd all sell out.

It's Denver's crown jewel, and the city and the area realize it and treat it accordingly. I strongly recommend that any music fan that's never been to it just come out for any show, Dave-related or not, and experience it for themselves. It's one of those places that, when you live out here, you look for any event or act that you're even remotely interested to give you a reason just to visit it.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #17
TDunk

I'll be out there for avett in a few weeks
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:29 AM   #18
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Red Rocks gets a huge variety of acts and events. Probably 95% of nights from May until October is booked with something. On the weekends there's often a morning event and then a night concert. Next weekend I'm going to something called "Yoga on the Rocks," which is HUGE out here and sells out every weekend all summer long. That's thousands and thousands of tickets to yoga that all sell out, every weekend, almost the minute they're put on sale.

Yoga!

Anything Dave-related would sell out in minutes. They could play five shows and they'd all sell out.

It's Denver's crown jewel, and the city and the area realize it and treat it accordingly. I strongly recommend that any music fan that's never been to it just come out for any show, Dave-related or not, and experience it for themselves. It's one of those places that, when you live out here, you look for any event or act that you're even remotely interested to give you a reason just to visit it.
I actually have visted RR, but haven't seen a show there. It's a beauty and I hope they will return someday. I think all the excuses we've heard (too much equipment etc) are rubbish. $$$ is why they haven't played there

I saw some of the home prices in Denver. They rival those of my neighborhood in Queens. Denver is nice but not that nice.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
greykitkat36

Would love to go theee someday especially for DMB or DM related show. The main reason they don't play there is that it's just a hassle to book. You have to book dates years in advance, this artlice basically breaks it down very well--once you read it, makes perfect sense why the band doesn't bother--they can book their staple venues whenever they want, get the dates they want to get, have first priority and never have to worry.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
greykitkat36

Oh and don't hold your breath on dates being added--from what I've heard there will not be any more dates added to the D+T tour or any dates in general the rest of the year except for a handful of one-off benefit type of shows similar to what Dave and Tim did In the fall. The source is from DMB family so god knows if they're correct, but it seemed legit. If they weee adding more Sumer dates they would have been announced a while ago, its way too late now. Fall is always possible but I think this is it for the summer

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc