These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
The Godfather
#COYR

World Futbol Thread: 2017 Confederations Cup, 2017 Gold Cup, 17/18 Season

I realized the other soccer thread was like 2011, so I decided to make a fresh and clean thread dedicated to all things soccer.

As for my Euro pick..I have to go with La Familia Roja, Spain.
My dark horse: Poland (This is actually a decent squad. Very talented wingers and centerbacks)

As for my Copa America pick...I go with Uruguay. (I would pick Brasil, but Dunga is killing the Nat'l Team)
My dark horse: Costa Rica (Very young and athletic team)

I would like the USA to do decent, but I hope to expect a good showing from this squad. I hope. Can't take a loss in the semi's like we did against Jamaica in the Gold Cup. If we burn out, then it is time for the German Wonder coach to go.

Discuss...

Last edited by The Godfather; 06-16-2017 at 12:07 PM.
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
The Godfather
#COYR

On another note:

MLS. Why is this brand of soccer just not seem as competitive to me as other leagues? It's odd, b/c I enjoy all soccer leagues. Right now I rather watch Liga MX b/c their league is exciting to watch. When I put on an MLS game, I find myself not entirely watching the game as I should be. It's not as exciting.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
celluloid hero

Good thread. I am a newer fan. Always loved the World Cup going back to watching with my high school friend in 1994, but had no idea what to do when it ended each year. After 2014 World Cup, I was talking to a co-worker who had moved from India to the US and is a huge soccer fan. He wanted to learn more about the NFL and football, so we did a cultural exchange and I adopted his team Arsenal, he adopted my team the Bengals (poor fuckers, both of us).

Despite being a fan for all of two years, I am all in. I know more BPL players than NFL players at this point and could name a starting XI for all 20 clubs. My dad and I (with my wife) went to London in October and I saw both West Brom at Palace and Southampton at Chelsea on Saturday and then ManU at Arsenal on Sunday. Really one of the best weekends in my life.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Good thread. I am a newer fan. Always loved the World Cup going back to watching with my high school friend in 1994, but had no idea what to do when it ended each year. After 2014 World Cup, I was talking to a co-worker who had moved from India to the US and is a huge soccer fan. He wanted to learn more about the NFL and football, so we did a cultural exchange and I adopted his team Arsenal, he adopted my team the Bengals (poor fuckers, both of us).

Despite being a fan for all of two years, I am all in. I know more BPL players than NFL players at this point and could name a starting XI for all 20 clubs. My dad and I (with my wife) went to London in October and I saw both West Brom at Palace and Southampton at Chelsea on Saturday and then ManU at Arsenal on Sunday. Really one of the best weekends in my life.

That is awesome! I had a same experience growing up with Brazilians in Massachusetts when I was younger. I choose my own club team from Brazil (Corinthians), and they choose their own NFL team and we taught each other. I still love American football, and I am a diehard Buffalo Bills fan, but soccer is my favorite sport.

I think it's great how this game is when we approach it with an open mind.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
The Godfather
#COYR

Hopefully 35 soon...
Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
celluloid hero

A lot of it has had to do with watching with my dad as well. He hadn't even watched a World Cup match before, I don't think. But we've had a standing Saturday lunch date for probably 12 years at this point, and that's during a BPL session 9 months of the year and we started watching together. So my 73 year old dad sets his alarm to get up early for matches - though he gets up naturally at 5:30 anyway, he left work at 2:30 yesterday to be home in time to watch Chelsea - Spurs, has the FoxSoccer2Go app ready for UCL today and tomorrow, it's awesome. He was really the driver for making that trip happen and we're waiting for the schedule to come out to plan our trip back this year.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
A lot of it has had to do with watching with my dad as well. He hadn't even watched a World Cup match before, I don't think. But we've had a standing Saturday lunch date for probably 12 years at this point, and that's during a BPL session 9 months of the year and we started watching together. So my 73 year old dad sets his alarm to get up early for matches - though he gets up naturally at 5:30 anyway, he left work at 2:30 yesterday to be home in time to watch Chelsea - Spurs, has the FoxSoccer2Go app ready for UCL today and tomorrow, it's awesome. He was really the driver for making that trip happen and we're waiting for the schedule to come out to plan our trip back this year.

Pretty fucking cool. Awesome.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:

That's awesome. I'm so jealous that you got to go to the Bridge -- it's a bucket list item for me as a Chelsea fan, and I need to find a way to make it happen soon before life inevitably gets in the way.

Have you checked out FC Cincinnati yet? I'm a season ticket holder, and thus far, it's been a phenomenal experience. The quality of soccer, obviously, isn't even remotely on the same planet as what you see in the EPL (or even MLS), but they've been drawing fantastic crowds and there is already a decent contingent of supporters sitting in the ends and singing/chanting during the matches. Watching the city embrace the team, and the sport in general, has been one of the more satisfying things I've seen over the last 2 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
That's awesome. I'm so jealous that you got to go to the Bridge -- it's a bucket list item for me as a Chelsea fan, and I need to find a way to make it happen soon before life inevitably gets in the way.

Have you checked out FC Cincinnati yet? I'm a season ticket holder, and thus far, it's been a phenomenal experience. The quality of soccer, obviously, isn't even remotely on the same planet as what you see in the EPL (or even MLS), but they've been drawing fantastic crowds and there is already a decent contingent of supporters sitting in the ends and singing/chanting during the matches. Watching the city embrace the team, and the sport in general, has been one of the more satisfying things I've seen over the last 2 months or so.
You guys up there in FC Cincinnati have been doing a phenomenal job. I pay attention to USL even though I am a NASL guy supporting the Tampa Bay Rowdies.

20000 people to see FC Cincinnati - Louisville City FC

Outstanding job. Would love to go up there for an Open Cup game.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
celluloid hero

Quote:

I could type about that weekend for hours. I'll post some pics of the trip when I get back to the hotel tonight or tomorrow night. The Palace match was the 12:45 and Chelsea were at 5:30. Had Palace and Arsenal tickets, but Chelsea was a late add. Figured we'd cram as much as possible into a weekend. I tried to get to get away supporter tickets to sit in the Soton section, but I couldn't find even one on the secondary market. Too bad, they looked like they had a blast that night.

My dad doesn't move really well, and taking the underground to the Emirates for the stadium tour and pro-shop the day before didn't go well for him. So he hired us a driver to take us to South London early, wait right outside Selhurst, then take us to West London. Watching him climb up the steps to the top row of the lower section at the Bridge was something else. Those old stadiums are no help to people who don't move well. No handrails or anything. Then they shut down all streets surrounding the stadiums, and if you think you're being smart by not getting a data or phone plan for the weekend, you're wrong. We had to walk 5 blocks after to find a cab, but he trooped on and was ready to do it again the next day, though United at Arsenal is hard to not be ready for.

Listening to him tell stories from the trip now as fondly and excited as I am to type them here is something I'll never forget. When you have something like this on your bucket list, even if it's only been there for a year like it was for me, life doesn't get in the way of this, make this get in the way of life. It was supposed to just be me and him, but I had just lost my pug Glen that my wife and I had since before we were engaged and she played tagalong. It was nice to have her there as he wasn't up for things like 10-mile midnight walks around the city, while he and I still did all our soccer things and it kept our minds off of Glen.

We went to inaugural home FC Cincy match and stayed for the first half. It was way colder than it seemed, neither of us were prepared and it was havoc on his asthma. I will likely get tickets next year. Really liked the atmosphere, however, the one hour in traffic to get to a lot was not so fun. I know better than WH Taft this time. I'll go Central Parkway and come up the backside.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
celluloid hero

By the way, outside of the standard matches we pay attention to on the weekends, there's a massive match in the Championship. Middlesbrough hosts Brighton, the winner gets automatic promotion, a draw goes to Boro and the loser goes into the tournament for the third spot. It's about a guaranteed 100 million pound match. It's televised on bein sports at 7:30 AM EST.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Klinsmann out, please.

This US team has done nothing under his "leadership," it's my opinion that they've actually regressed in terms of tactics and results.

I know people like to point to the 2014 World Cup and talk about how he got us out of the Group of Death but anyone who actually watched those games knows we got outplayed, sometimes badly, in every single game.

Ghana - 2-1 win, stole a last minute winner against and finally got that monkey off our back. Still got ran all over the park and didn't deserve all 3 pts.

Portugal - 2-2 draw, gave up a last minute equalizer against a pretty poor Portugal team and a 50% CR7.

Germany 1-0 loss, hey we only lost 1-0 to Germany, that's a moral win, right? This game was ugly to watch, the gulf in class is about as wide as the oceans separating the two teams. Could've easily been 5-0.

Belgium Round of 16 - 2-1 Loss - This was the worst of the 4 games, absolutely hammered time and time again by Belgium and the only reason it wasn't 10-1 was a (literally) world record performance by Timmy Howard.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by usfice6 View Post
Klinsmann out, please.

This US team has done nothing under his "leadership," it's my opinion that they've actually regressed in terms of tactics and results.

I know people like to point to the 2014 World Cup and talk about how he got us out of the Group of Death but anyone who actually watched those games knows we got outplayed, sometimes badly, in every single game.

Ghana - 2-1 win, stole a last minute winner against and finally got that monkey off our back. Still got ran all over the park and didn't deserve all 3 pts.

Portugal - 2-2 draw, gave up a last minute equalizer against a pretty poor Portugal team and a 50% CR7.

Germany 1-0 loss, hey we only lost 1-0 to Germany, that's a moral win, right? This game was ugly to watch, the gulf in class is about as wide as the oceans separating the two teams. Could've easily been 5-0.

Belgium Round of 16 - 2-1 Loss - This was the worst of the 4 games, absolutely hammered time and time again by Belgium and the only reason it wasn't 10-1 was a (literally) world record performance by Timmy Howard.
And yet, on the last one, if Wondolowski puts in a wide open tap, you're talking about the United States being 3 wins away from the title.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
And yet, on the last one, if Wondolowski puts in a wide open tap, you're talking about the United States being 3 wins away from the title.
Ugh, I know. Yet another reason I can't stand JK....no way Donovan misses that sitter. His team selection skills are utter shit. Why he insists on continually rolling Kyle Beckerman out in midfield is beyond me. He's slow as hell and has zero creativity, I cringe every time he touches the ball because I know it's going square or backwards.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #15
The Godfather
#COYR

Donovan deserved to go in 2014. I truly believe Donovan would have given the US more pace, a good leader in a tight game against Belgium. USA should have beaten Belgium.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
The Godfather
#COYR

I think Kamara has to go.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #17
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post

I think Kamara has to go.
Agreed -- but losing him would functionally run the white flag up for Columbus this season.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
The Godfather
#COYR

FC Cincy could be headed down my way to play the Rowdies for the Open Cup.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
The Godfather
#COYR

Some Euro 2016 squads are coming out.

Very happy about Spain's squad. Young in places that we needed youth. I just hope de Gea is starting and not Casillas. Casillas starting will be a liability.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #20
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
FC Cincy could be headed down my way to play the Rowdies for the Open Cup.
Yup. I'm confident they'll get past Indy Jr. tomorrow night -- I'll be at the match. Don't know how big the crowd will be -- we did 23,000 on Saturday, but this is midweek with school still in session and a crap forecast. Hopefully at least the supporters section will be up for it.

I'm surprised a bigger deal isn't made over the US Open Cup. It's a really cool concept and I'd think it would be a big hit if some of these matches were at least shown online.

Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc