These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #181
ggies
Sugar Will '04

umm....so, this is not good. The number we need to be at is at least 350, if not lower. This is why I've been posting about this topic on here, trying to spread the information so that the next time you need a car you will get an EV or think about getting solar panels or at the very least switching to wind power from your utility provider.

This number goes up 2 ppm every year. We really need get this transition to move at a faster pace...

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
At a time when atmospheric carbon dioxide is usually at its minimum, the monthly value failed to drop below 400 parts per million
Quote:
The carbon dioxide we’ve already committed to the atmosphere has warmed the world about 1.8°F since the start of the industrial revolution. This year, in addition to marking the start of our new 400 ppm world, is also set to be the hottest year on record.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #182
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
umm....so, this is not good. The number we need to be at is at least 350, if not lower. This is why I've been posting about this topic on here, trying to spread the information so that the next time you need a car you will get an EV or think about getting solar panels or at the very least switching to wind power from your utility provider.

This number goes up 2 ppm every year. We really need get this transition to move at a faster pace...

Thanks for sharing all of your articles the past 2 years. I can honestly say that it has educated me greatly in this department and I am very excited for the future shift. I really hope that the US adopts quickly.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #183
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Thanks for sharing all of your articles the past 2 years. I can honestly say that it has educated me greatly in this department and I am very excited for the future shift. I really hope that the US adopts quickly.
You are welcome and that's great to hear.

I hope so too.

This trailer was just released today. I've been waiting for this doc every since Leo talked about it. Has anyone seen The Revenant? The whole movie has amazing shots of the landscape they used. It's quite awe-inspiring. Well, I watched several interviews Leo did with the director when they were promoting the film and one of the big revelations about climate change Leo had was when they had to put filming on hold because one of the coldest places where there should have been snow, there was none.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #184
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So, I heard about the vision of how the grid will run from the SolarCity CEO a few years ago and it goes like this:

Most will have solar on their roofs with a storage battery in the garage. Then, as you start to get a lot of these up and running, you use software to extract some of the power from all the batteries and either use it for the grid or instead of the grid, it's a "virtual grid". You will then be given a small amount of money to allow this to happen every month.

Well, another company is doing just that with Tesla's Powerwalls:

Quote:
in an effort to build a "virtual power plant" of 400 networked batteries. The power can then be tapped as reserve capacity to help national grid providers cope with constant fluctuations on grid load,
This, coupled with solar and wind continually getting cheaper is why coal and natural gas is not the future. It's why politicians can say what they want about renewable energy and sticking with coal, but in the end economics will win.

Oh, one more thing - the brilliance of Tesla - Tesla is about to merge SolarCity with itself and they will no longer be just a car company, they will be an energy company. Selling your electric car, solar roof, powerwall (battery storage), and inventor for the solar panels all under one name.

Last edited by ggies; 09-30-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #185
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
You are welcome and that's great to hear.

I hope so too.

This trailer was just released today. I've been waiting for this doc every since Leo talked about it. Has anyone seen The Revenant? The whole movie has amazing shots of the landscape they used. It's quite awe-inspiring. Well, I watched several interviews Leo did with the director when they were promoting the film and one of the big revelations about climate change Leo had was when they had to put filming on hold because one of the coldest places where there should have been snow, there was none.

This documentary looks very interesting and I look forward to seeing it.

Quote:
So, I heard about the vision of how the grid will run from the SolarCity CEO a few years ago and it goes like this:

Most will have solar on their roofs with a storage battery in the garage. Then, as you start to get a lot of these up and running, you use software to extract some of the power from all the batteries and either use it for the grid or instead of the grid, it's a "virtual grid". You will then be given a small amount of money to allow this to happen every month.

Well, another company is doing just that with Tesla's Powerwalls:

This, coupled with solar and wind continually getting cheaper is why coal and natural gas is not the future. It's why politicians can say what they want about renewable energy and sticking with coal, but in the end economics will win.

Oh, one more thing - the brilliance of Tesla - Tesla is about to merge SolarCity with itself and they will no longer be just a car company, they will be an energy company. Selling your electric car, solar roof, powerwall (battery storage), and inventor for the solar panels all under one name.
that's pretty badass
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #186
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post

that's pretty badass
yes, yes it is.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #187
ggies
Sugar Will '04

As one of my daughter's favorite tv characters from the show Liv and Maddie says......

BAM, WHAT!?!

Quote:
Batteries are helping to enable the rapidly growing penetration of variable renewable sources like wind and solar
Quote:
As a result, DOE projects “the total domestic energy storage market could be worth $2.9 billion by 2021, as compared to $350 million in 2015.”
Quote:
The next time an opponent of climate action questions the cost-effectiveness and scalability of climate solutions — or the value of government clean energy policies — the top chart and indeed the whole report should be front and center in your response.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #188
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Great article.

Quote:
But, thanks to civilization, the Holocene is now at an end. That's where the story gets really interesting and where the Anthropocene makes its entrance.

Scientists now recognize that our impact on Earth has become so significant we've pushed it out of the Holocene into the Anthropocene, an entirely new geological epoch dominated by our own activity
Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #189
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This happened on Monday and I highly recommend you watch this. Leo is serious about this issue and asks meaningful questions that spur great discussion with Obama and climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe.

Some of the things they talk about have already been thought on or are doing:

-coal jobs and what it means to those in that field - I posted an article about how one year's salary of a coal CEO would cover the transition to renewable jobs

-How are we going to store all this renewable energy? - I've posted several articles talking about this part of the industry and how Tesla is in the lead to help and transform our grid and households

-the human nature of grasping the whole idea of what is happening to our planet - I've posted several articles that deal with the emotional side to show everyone we are all the same.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #190
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Amazing info in here:

Quote:
Hamlen and Whittingham kept a few of the button-sized watch batteries they made at Exxon. Recently, they tested them for a peer-reviewed paper to see if they would work after 35 years. They found that the batteries had retained more than 50 percent of their original capacity.

"If you make the battery right," Whittingham said, "it will last for a very long time."
Old 10-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #191
ggies
Sugar Will '04

JB (CTO and Co-Founder of Tesla) gave a presentation at the HIVE* (Housing, Innovation, Vision & Economics) conference in Los Angeles, California on September 28th and thought some of his slides were a great visual of the new grid I was talking about a couple of posts ago:

Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #192
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Natural gas prices are not expected to increase substantially and the low-cost output from the thousands of megawatts of new wind and solar capacity that will be installed across ERCOT will displace the electricity that would have been produced at these coal-fired generators.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #193
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
“The cars we build are about seven years beyond everything I’ve seen before, and it’s quite thrilling and exciting to be here and to be part of this car manufacturing group. It’s the only company in the world that builds 100 percent electric vehicles; everybody else is continuing with the normal business of building [internal combustion] cars, and I think that will not work.”
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #194
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Some charts to show you guys what's happening in the premium car market. Then think about what's going to happen when Tesla is producing the Model 3 at a high rate......click on the pic to enlarge.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #195
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Nice interview with Bill McKibben:

Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #196
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I'll probably be posting in here a lot over the next two weeks - a lot is about to happen with Tesla. Here are two articles I thought were info worthy:

Those who live in CA -

Quote:
California’s Center for Sustainable Energy announced another modification to their Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) today, raising the credit by an additional $500 for low-to-mid-income earners
Quote:
and lowering the eligibility cap to $150k for individuals and $300k for joint filers. This raises California’s rebate to $4,500 for battery electric vehicles, $3,500 for plug-in hybrids

Now Tesla news -

Old 10-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #197
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
The policy director of a think tank hired by Florida’s largest electric utilities admitted at a conference this month what opponents have claimed for months: The industry attempted to deceive voters into supporting restrictions on the expansion of solar by shrouding Amendment 1 as a pro-solar amendment.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #198
ggies
Sugar Will '04

For anyone interested in seeing what it's all about tonight. Otherwise, I'll post about it later.

- Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2h2 hours ago
Tesla announcement goes live at 5pm California time. 30 minutes of media Q&A to follow.

- @elonmusk This is also what I was alluding to by Model 3 part 2

Old 10-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #199
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
We are excited to announce that, as of today, all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory – including Model 3 – will have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.
Quote:
Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength, capable of seeing through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #200
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Guys, this is a very big deal. The rest of the auto industry was projecting for around 2021 or so, this is WAY earlier.....more details:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc