These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #81
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
And just think of all the gold bricks he'd have to lug around everywhere. Poor son of a bitch.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #82
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The Republicans aren't serious about dramatically cutting spending or taxes. It's all a show. In the end they always agree to spend more money.

The thing is government is so big that taxing the rich isn't enough...tax hikes are coming for everybody
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #83
FiddySpence
TDCya

i don't think filling the Republican party with more Grover Norquist's is going to help, man.

right now your party (or at least the one you are closer to) is in shambles for a reason. it's in a rebranding phase that is desperately needed as it realizes how out of touch it is with the current generation of voters and how much more out of touch it's going to get if it sticks to the platform it's been running on the last few decades. this is healthy and necessary and in the end could result in a Republican party that you can possibly support. tough on taxes and more moderate on social issues and immigration.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #84
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Republicans won't even stand up for the rich, who are massively over-taxed, and say enough is enough.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #85
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Yeah it's about time the rich caught a break.
The logic behind raising taxes on the rich is uncomfortable for me. When your justification for doing something is merely "because they can afford it," that sets a dangerous precedent.

Technically I can "afford" to pay more taxes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #86
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
The logic behind raising taxes on the rich is uncomfortable for me. When your justification for doing something is merely "because they can afford it," that sets a dangerous precedent.

Technically I can "afford" to pay more taxes too.
"because they can afford it" isn't the only reason or even the main reason. it's an answer to the posed question "why the rich instead of another group or alternative" and it's a valid answer to that question. the lib's case is that trickle down hasn't been working and it's time to try growing from the middle. i think it's fair to at least give it a shot. and bitching when it isn't working as fast as you'd like after 3 and a half years doesn't count.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #87
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
"because they can afford it" isn't the only reason or even the main reason. it's an answer to the posed question "why the rich instead of another group or alternative" and it's a valid answer to that question. the lib's case is that trickle down hasn't been working and it's time to try growing from the middle. i think it's fair to at least give it a shot. and bitching when it isn't working as fast as you'd like after 3 and a half years doesn't count.
Trickle down is a fantasy.

It's not about who can afford what. I think looking at it percentage-wise is important. Let's, just for example, use 20% as a number. 20% of a middle class persons salary would obviously be less than 20% of the upper class. They shouldn't both pay the same amount.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #88
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Taxes will go up for everybody eventually. There aren't enough rich people to tax to pay for our massive government.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #89
brian3641

Quote:
Taxes will go up for everybody eventually. There aren't enough rich people to tax to pay for our massive government.
There are more than enough. They just need to be taxed at an appropriate amount without all of their loophole tax breaks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #90
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Trickle down is a fantasy.

It's not about who can afford what. I think looking at it percentage-wise is important. Let's, just for example, use 20% as a number. 20% of a middle class persons salary would obviously be less than 20% of the upper class. They shouldn't both pay the same amount.
You realize that we have a tiered federal tax income system, right? As in, the more you make, the higher percentage you pay? I mean, it works out to be something like the richest 1% pay half the federal income taxes and the poorest 1% pay 0 of those taxes.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #91
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Well, in general it's probably a good idea to at least attempt to pay for the programs we decide we need.

I guess this thread was inevitable.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #92
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
There are more than enough. They just need to be taxed at an appropriate amount without all of their loophole tax breaks.
This, just like your previous comment, is completely false. One could argue, and I would agree, that tax revenues need to increase, but the major problem is spending.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #93
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post

I guess this thread was inevitable.

yeahhh.... it was only a matter of time.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #94
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
No. We are raising taxes on the rich and still having a 1 trillion dollar deficit. That's a really bad record. If you keep taxing the rich, they will renounce their citizenship and leave. There are limits
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #95
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
You realize that we have a tiered federal tax income system, right? As in, the more you make, the higher percentage you pay? I mean, it works out to be something like the richest 1% pay half the federal income taxes and the poorest 1% pay 0 of those taxes.
Our rates are progressive, albeit not nearly as much as they used to be. The tax rate for wealthiest Americans have lowered over 35 percent in the last fifty years or so.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #96
brian3641

Quote:
This, just like your previous comment, is completely false. One could argue, and I would agree, that tax revenues need to increase, but the major problem is spending.
Spending is a major problem, but what should you cut? Medicare or defense spending? I know PBS is sucking us dry.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #97
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
i don't think anyone here would argue that spending is a problem.

but it'll take a whole lot more finesse to effectively bring spending down than just slashing all social programs so the defense budget can remain more or less intact.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #98
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Yes. Spending automatically goes up every year, so when they talk about draconian cuts they are just talking about spending increasing at a slower pace. We need real cuts, not this bs
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #99
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
No. We are raising taxes on the rich and still having a 1 trillion dollar deficit. That's a really bad record. If you keep taxing the rich, they will renounce their citizenship and leave. There are limits
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #100
inmytree
Hey Gee.

That's some Ayn Rand shit right there.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc