These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #101
FiddySpence
TDCya

yeah, i see what you're saying. i just took it as implied.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #102
FiddySpence
TDCya

he's not really a stand up, but i love Rob Riggle and this is a great interview with him going over his unique (to comedy) military background and how he transitioned to comedy.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #103
harmonikfuzion

I need to know what Louis CK's best stand up is, because I've listened to two whole specials now, and he just isn't funny at all. I've laughed at a total of 6 jokes, three per special. So far he's absolutely awful and I don't have any idea what people see in him.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #104
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
He was great on the Booze Cruise episode of The Office.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #105
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonikfuzion View Post
I need to know what Louis CK's best stand up is, because I've listened to two whole specials now, and he just isn't funny at all. I've laughed at a total of 6 jokes, three per special. So far he's absolutely awful and I don't have any idea what people see in him.
You also see potential in Whitney Cummings so I'm not surprised your humor is limited to people who force premise and set ups down your throat.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #106
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
with all due respect, your taste in comedy is garbage.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #107
harmonikfuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
You also see potential in Whitney Cummings so I'm not surprised your humor is limited to people who force premise and set ups down your throat.
Almost a fair comment. I have terrific taste in comedians thank you very much. I'm still trying to get Louis to make me laugh and all he gives me is a bunch of long winded "rants" about things in everyday life and then takes it one step further and calls it a joke. He's not clever, they call him honest but I don't relate to a single one of his jokes, he just sounds like a massive tool, like a dad that thinks his son will think he's cool if he tells dirty jokes.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #108
FiddySpence
TDCya

i've never heard anyone say CK is awful before. just what the fuck
Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #109
harmonikfuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
with all due respect, your taste in comedy is garbage.
Based on what? What do you know about my taste in comedians? You know I like Tosh, you know I didn't think whitney cummings was as bad as I expected, what are you basing your opinions off of?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #110
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Almost a fair comment. I have terrific taste in comedians thank you very much. I'm still trying to get Louis to make me laugh and all he gives me is a bunch of long winded "rants" about things in everyday life and then takes it one step further and calls it a joke. He's not clever, they call him honest but I don't relate to a single one of his jokes, he just sounds like a massive tool, like a dad that thinks his son will think he's cool if he tells dirty jokes.
this makes me angry. he's a genius and the hardest working most consistent dude in showbusiness.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #111
harmonikfuzion

Off the top of my favorite comedians are in no particular order:

Lewis Black
Brian Regan
Jim Gaffigan
Tosh
John Pinette
Most George Carlin

I know I'm missing some on that list... but I've now wasted 2.5 hours of my life listening to Louis CK and the biggest joke from him so far has been calling himself a comedian. I want to be proved wrong. My friends think I'm insane, and I have no biases against him at all, he just doesn't make me laugh≥
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #112
Fan#41

You're absolutely right. He's not an honest comic and he's not clever at all because he doesn't relate to YOU personally and your life doesn't mirror his so he basically sucks. I mean when he talks about his frustrations as a father...oh man it's terrible, right? Because you don't have kids so you can't possibly put yourself in those shoes so it just makes it unfunny.

My point stands exactly how you quoted with what you just said.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #113
harmonikfuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
this makes me angry. he's a genius and the hardest working most consistent dude in showbusiness.
That's the thing. There is literally ZERO genius in his jokes. He takes an everyday situation, acts as if it's the end of the world, throws some cursing in there, which never has bothered me before until I heard him and he just sounds like a tool, and then acts like everybody thinks these things when they're at the post office, or a traffic light, or feeding their kids.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #114
harmonikfuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
You're absolutely right. He's not an honest comic and he's not clever at all because he doesn't relate to YOU personally and your life doesn't mirror his so he basically sucks. I mean when he talks about his frustrations as a father...oh man it's terrible, right? Because you don't have kids so you can't possibly put yourself in those shoes so it just makes it unfunny.

My point stands exactly how you quoted with what you just said.
His jokes from him being a father account for a fraction of his routine. I can relate to the situations, not to his ridiculous reactions, which come off as beyond fake.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #115
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Based on what? What do you know about my taste in comedians? You know I like Tosh, you know I didn't think whitney cummings was as bad as I expected, what are you basing your opinions off of?
if you think Louie CK is an unfunny tool then, imo, you're a flawed individual.

i like tosh and the show Archer too, but in their respective mediums they're fairly simple rapid punchline after punchline. that's fine for what it is but what people like Louie CK, a "comedian's comedian", do is much more than that imo. they're not up there to just tell some jokes, they're going to much deeper and darker places than that which are more honest and rewarding.

if you don't get it, whatever, but don't get all high and mighty about it because 99% of everyone else thinks you're fucking retarded for thinking that way. so maybe you should consider that the problem is yours and something is wrong with you for not getting it.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #116
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
His jokes from him being a father account for a fraction of his routine. I can relate to the situations, not to his ridiculous reactions, which come off as beyond fake.
i'd say watch Louie to show you that everything about him is beyond genuine, but that would be pointless because you're clearly too dumb for it.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #117
Fan#41

Quote:
Off the top of my favorite comedians are in no particular order:

Lewis Black
Brian Regan
Jim Gaffigan
Tosh
John Pinette
Most George Carlin

I know I'm missing some on that list... but I've now wasted 2.5 hours of my life listening to Louis CK and the biggest joke from him so far has been calling himself a comedian. I want to be proved wrong. My friends think I'm insane, and I have no biases against him at all, he just doesn't make me laugh≥
Not to critique a list because all have 'em but your running theme with favorite comedians there seems to be guys who have an overbearing personality, aside from Gaffigan. Pinette is loud and has the whole 'i'm fat and i'm hungry!' angle, Lewis Black has the angry and fed up perspective, Regan has the 'im an idiot and i'll do impressions of myself' thing going, Tosh is a less animated, gayer Dane cook. None of them are terrible comedians, in fact, they're pretty much all great, although I'm not a huge fan of Pinette but what Louis brings to the table is an undertone in set ups and premise. He doesn't need to have a shtick or is easily classified like those guys you listed, with the obvious exception of Carlin. Louis has a great sense of self-loathing but also carries with him the notion that what makes that funny is how it came to be, not JUST that he can be out of shape, but how he got there and the different angles at which it's recognized. How many people call their stomachs douchebags because they blame it for taking 20 minutes to send the signal to your brain that you're full, when it only takes 1 second fora stubbed toe to let your brain know it hurts and that's twice the distance. It's a great fucking joke.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #118
FiddySpence
TDCya

now i'm angry. i should let brandon do this because i can't control myself from just calling harmonik stupid.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #119
FiddySpence
TDCya

i kind of can't stand lewis black. he has his moments, but jesus christ stop spitting and screaming.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #120
FiddySpence
TDCya

he's also the only person in america that thinks jon stewart is an arrogant dick. i'm pretty sure haromonik just doesn't get human beings.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc