These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #101
rentfn

The dude retired. He needs to live up to his words. Co-Co is getting screwed over by NBC and they don't seem to be using lube.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #102
FiddySpence
TDCya

jimmy fallon has never showed any real talent comedic or otherwise. it's either luck or politics that has gotten him to where he is.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #103
rentfn

Fallon was decent on SNL. i really enjoyed him and Tina Fay doing weekend update.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #104
FiddySpence
TDCya

he cracked up in sketches so much that it stopped being funny and started coming across as either forced and awkward or just really unprofessional.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #105
K270
Kan Pai

Why give Leno anything? Good job NBC for canceling his show. Now don't offer him anything else. If he wants a talk show, let him go to Fox.
K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #106
StormWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Why give Leno anything? Good job NBC for canceling his show. Now don't offer him anything else. If he wants a talk show, let him go to Fox.
Exactly! Keep Conan at 11:30, Give Fallon 12:30 and say have a nice retirement to Leno.
StormWarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #107
malachite00

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWarning View Post
Exactly! Keep Conan at 11:30, Give Fallon 12:30 and say have a nice retirement to Leno.
Conan's ratings are down from what Leno got at 11:30. That's the reason they'll give him what he wants. (I don't agree with this, just mentioning it).
Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #108
FiddySpence
TDCya

Conan has talked to Fox.
[Only registered users can see links.]

In 2004, NBC announced Conan O’Brien would take over for Jay Leno as host of ‘the Tonight Show’ in 2009, and on June 1st, after 16 years hosting ‘Late Night’, that’s what he did.

Three months after that NBC decided they were just kidding and moved Leno back in front of Conan to do the same show he had always done. That failed miserably, and so yesterday they announced they’re moving Leno back to 11:30. As you might imagine, Conan is just thrilled. The New York Post says…

(Conan) has “many options,” including a move to Fox, which for years has been looking to create its own late-night show.
In fact, he has already spoken with Fox, The Wall Street Journal’s Web site reported last night.
“This level of sh- - -iness was not expected,” one source said.
“He’s done a great job for NBC. He moved his entire staff, he moved his family to LA. And five months later, they repay him like this?”

What is Conan’s deal? NBC is putting everything back. That’s how life works. Just like how if you cut yourself you can run the blade backwards over the cut and it will seal up, or if you have a baby and it sucks you can shove it back in the uterus. Ta-da! What baby? I don’t see a baby!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #109
NiCK Crush

Last edited by NiCK Crush; 11-03-2012 at 01:55 AM.
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #110
FiddySpence
TDCya

yeah i hear he's very quiet and composed.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #111
NiCK Crush

Last edited by NiCK Crush; 11-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #112
batleon

batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #113
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
oh I was gonna say complete asshole, but quiet and composed works.
no one has ever said anything even remotely negative about conan o brien personally. adam carolla talks shit on him and calls him a big pussy, but that's for something that has nothing to do with being a dick.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #114
FiddySpence
TDCya

the great patton oswalt's views on this
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #115
dmb448

Jay Leno should go not Conan. It sucks what is happening with the late-night lineup at NBC.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #116
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

Conan said he would quit if the timeslots were moved as planned...
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #117
david_elon

Conan's full statement:

Quote:
People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
david_elon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #118
malachite00

Conan's statement (taken from here: [Only registered users can see links.] ):

Quote:
People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #119
malachite00

Beaten by that much.

Classy statement. Nowhere in his statement does it explicitly state that he's leaving the show. Wonder what will happen? I hope NBC does the right thing and just cancels Leno and lets Conan keep his show.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #120
FiddySpence
TDCya

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc