These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #141
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dylan View Post
I think he is saying the Mayer show was solid start to finish while a Matthews show isnt. (IE:WAYG,ODH, ECT.)
Last night's set had No Such Thing, Body Is A Wonderland, and WHy Georgia...aren't those Mayer "radio hits"? Same thing as a DMB set except an hour shorter.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #142
Bob Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Last night's set had No Such Thing, Body Is A Wonderland, and WHy Georgia...aren't those Mayer "radio hits"? Same thing as a DMB set except an hour shorter.
Ya Im not sure...I was guessing what he meant and I dont know Mayer well enough to comment.......I never heard of No Such Thing
Bob Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #143
Mersh

it's the halls of my high school song
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #144
Bswartz95
Go Browns!

Quote:
I think saying you rarely find solid DMB shows is silly.
I think it is pretty rare to find a show that is solid from opener to closer these days. There's usually a lull somewhere.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #145
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswartz95 View Post
I think it is pretty rare to find a show that is solid from opener to closer these days. There's usually a lull somewhere.
Eh, I've been a pretty consistant critic the past few years, but I think you can easily find a good amount of solid shows from every tour. Rare makes it sound like it happens once a tour. As I said though, I am not a Mayer fan.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #146
Bob Dylan

Quote:
it's the halls of my high school song
Oh ok well i know that.. I never knew the title I guess.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #147
Bswartz95
Go Browns!

I'm not a Mayer fan either. The only DMB show I saw last year, out of 12, that was solid from start to finish was Gorge night 3. Of course that's my opinion.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #148
reds24

Quote:
Yeah I see where you're coming from. For Mayer fans I think those songs are more like songs such as Crash and Crush for DMB fans. I'm just saying it's hard to get a DMB performance without a couple songs that they majority of the fans don't really want to hear.
reds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #149
Bob Dylan

Quote:
I'm not a Mayer fan either. The only DMB show I saw last year, out of 12, that was solid from start to finish was Gorge night 3. Of course that's my opinion.
Too bad OSU football wasnt solid start to finish this season, how about that National Championship Game
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #150
Bob Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds24 View Post
Yeah I see where you're coming from. For Mayer fans I think those songs are more like songs such as Crash and Crush for DMB fans. I'm just saying it's hard to get a DMB performance without a couple songs that they majority of the fans don't really want to hear.
Right and that is why I said Old Dirt Hill, Where Are You Going, Hunger ect.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #151
Mersh

Quote:
I think there were some pretty solid shows from the first few weeks of the tour. I didn't really listen to much from the second. I guess it all depends on what you consider solid.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #152
Bswartz95
Go Browns!

Quote:
Too bad OSU football wasnt solid start to finish this season, how about that National Championship Game
Blasphemy!

Don't ever use "OSU" in a Mayer thread, ever.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #153
Mersh

Quote:
I'm just saying it's hard to get a DMB performance without a couple songs that they majority of the fans don't really want to hear.
The majority of fans here...I don't know that that is true of the crowds at shows though. I'd say the Mayer thing is pretty similars. He plays a few songs every night that I would imagine his more devoted fans don't like.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #154
dsera
Resident Bitch

First of all, good god ya chatty fucks!

Quote:
Wow, an hour forty for $50? I know I don't care for Mayer, but are the shows that good? People bitch about DMB prices, but at least you get 45 minutes more of music. That seems a little ridiculous to me.
In a word, yes. Just seeing Gravity and I'm Gonna Find Another You were well worth that money and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan34 View Post
I imagine he's probably contractually obligated to play 90 minutes, and it seems like he doesn't care to go much beyond that.
I doubt that. Listen to the sample in this thread. It's pretty obvious he could have kept going on that song. It was the last one played and you could just tell he didn't want to stop. I don't know why the show isn't longer and I really don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
does he still want to run through the hallls of his high school and scream at the top of his lungs?
That's it.

Quote:
Im not sure what the big deal is about him only playing for 90 or 100 or 110 minutes there are plenty of acts who yes play 2 hours but they also charge $350 a pop (Madonna, Stones, and Eagles to name a few.) So him charging $40 for the amount of time he plays is a lot cheaper, then the amount of time those other acts play and charge. I love Dylan and he was charging $65 for 110 minutes and even some NYC and Atlantic City shows $125. So Mayer seems to be the cheapest I saw or heard of when you average out the amount paid to the time played.
BTW: I dislike Mayer.
Yeah everyone has heard my Madonna tantrum here, right?

Quote:
Why Georgia was a radio hit? I had no idea. Oh well. It's one of my favorites from his old stuff. The other two, meh. The Trio and continuum stuff saturated the setlist and that is what made it a great show. I think Crumbo was thankful for the old stuff mixed in, it gave him time to hit the bathroom and get another beer.

dsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #155
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Most of his show is the new material, which is much better than his old stuff. No reason to dilute it, the recording is solid from start to finish, something you rarely find in a dmb performance.
It's awfully easy to say this when they're coming off two of the weakest tours of their career.

Standing back, don't you think that common ground is greater than all of this between you there and myself....
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #156
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsera View Post

Why Georgia was a radio hit? I had no idea.
I know I notice the video several times when flipping through channels. I assumed it was a popular tune.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #157
dsera
Resident Bitch

Quote:
I know I notice the video several times when flipping through channels. I assumed it was a popular tune.
It probably was then. I don't listen to the radio so unless I'm told these things, I have no idea. Hell I didn't know half the DMB songs had been radio hits when I first got into them.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #158
Crumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsera View Post

Why Georgia was a radio hit? I had no idea. Oh well. It's one of my favorites from his old stuff. The other two, meh. The Trio and continuum stuff saturated the setlist and that is what made it a great show. I think Crumbo was thankful for the old stuff mixed in, it gave him time to hit the bathroom and get another beer.
this is true

of course you thought you got me enough beer before he started to last the night
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #159
dsera
Resident Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbo View Post
this is true

of course you thought you got me enough beer before he started to last the night
pah! no. I know better than that ya lush! I said when I handed it to you, "now you won't have to go get beer so soon." I was still wrong though.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #160
Mike VDH
Can we check the tweets Craig?

Why Georgia the third single off room for squares, and did very well. It is also one of my favorites from the old stuff.

At the DeKalb show he prefaced No Such Thing thanking everyone for giving him a chance back in the day and making this song huge. And before Your Body Is A Wonderland he said that everyone's already heard this song the way it was, so they decided to play it acoustic.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc