Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #41
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
Have you heard the one with Chris Thile from this show:
[Only registered users can see links.]

The download is on that page if you haven't.

Great version.
That's hott, man, thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Do you happen to have a copy of that Hoedown, or anything else live with any Nickel Creek-ers sitting in with the 'Tones? That would be my dream to see happen.
mrchattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #42
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
That's hott, man, thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Do you happen to have a copy of that Hoedown, or anything else live with any Nickel Creek-ers sitting in with the 'Tones? That would be my dream to see happen.
Yeah, I'll try to put some stuff up tonight. I think I have a couple different things.

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #43
bbycrei

Maybe I'll post some of the reviews I did for the shows I went to when I get home.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #44
Ledge
All Hail The Mighty Zep

Was just listening to Big Country from the 12.3.98 opener from DMB and good god do I love that song.
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #45
Lugzy
Australian!

Quote:
Flecktones:
01/20/07 - Shepherd's Bush Empire - London , England
I'll be going to that one!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #46
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Yeah, I'll try to put some stuff up tonight. I think I have a couple different things.
Thanks, man!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #47
Blurry

How could UFO Tofu be mentioned without mentioning Nemo's Dream or The Yeehaw Factor? Easily my two favorites from the album. Both have a lot of build-ups and releases, and everything is divided into distinct different sections, which I guess is what I like in a song. Futureman's work is good especially on Nemo's Dream.
Blurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #48
bbycrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledge View Post
Was just listening to Big Country from the 12.3.98 opener from DMB and good god do I love that song.
I love popping in that set every once in a while.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #49
bbycrei

Anyone have some favorite shows they attended?

Mine are 10-11-03 and 12-3-04

I haddn't planned on going to the second night at GW but they said Sandip Burman would be there so I couldn't pass it up. My friend and I were running late to get in there so I missed just a bit of Big Country. The first set was solid. Now the second set starts with Futch comming out and talking about a guy named Issah Williams. He then calls him up and then a 8 year old kid comes up and takes over the drum kit and just drops the jaws of everyone in the room. Second set was pretty solid as well. Now after Hoedown I figure the set is over and I run down to the lighting guy to grab a setlist. But no they weren't done. They were talking about how nice it was to play here and this next song is a request. I had asked the band to play that last night and I was so stoked to hear it played.
10-11-03
GW Lisner Auditorium

Big Country
Earth Jam
Puffy
Costa Brava
Victor
Am Latin w/ Sandip Burman
2nd set
Futch w/ Issah Williams
Sleeper w/Sandip
Bil Mon
Latitude
Moment So Close w/Sandip
Bela
encore
Hoedown w/Sandip
E:
Sleeping Dogs Lie

Now this show had me driving 4 hours from school to grab my grandfather, took him to his first show and then the drive back down to school after. Now we got there early, really early. I heard soundcheck from outside the venue. The place was an old movie theater. Thought I had front row seats but was back a row or two but with camera in hand I tried to get some pics (all were dark unfortunatly). I never heard Nu C before but the song felt like a great welcome to the crowd, it slowly led into Scratch and Sniff. Lover's Leap and Oddity were a surprise and a first time for me. Mudslingers was a first as well and I didn't remember it off of Little Worlds and then soon fell in love w/ the song (and its now a rarity on the tour last year). After that song they said they would start playing some old songs, so Mars Needs Women starts off w/ Bela retuning his banjo and Jeff and Futch chatting for a sec (Vic was supposed to talk but said nothing, quite the MC). After that Arjuna started and man was that funky and nice to hear that for a first time. Right after bam, New South Africa. I had wanted to hear that song live since I got Live Art. I gave them a standing O and Vic acknowledged that. Another double encore, I had never heard Shanti but it did get you in a Christmas mood (at least to me). Just another solid show with lot of surprises.

12-3-04 Keswick Theater
Nu C
Scratch & Sniff
Lover's Leap
Oddity
Victor/Bela
Whistle
2nd set
Futch/Jeff
Mudslingers of the Milky Way
Mars Needs Women
Sojourn of Arjuna
New South Africa
Bela
encore
Moment So Close
Shanti
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #50
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
12-3-04 Keswick Theater
All of those December '04 shows were bad ass. A great string of shows.

My favorite that I've attended is actually the last one I went to. Stubb's in Austin 3-29-06.

Great show with some surprising additions, including New South Africa and the live debut of Subterfuge!

Bil Mon
Kaleidoscope
Whistle Tune
Rococo
Earth Jam
Victor
Vic/Bela
Puffy
I Know What I Means to be Lonesome (w/ Rhonda Vincent)
Subterfuge (live debut)
Futureman Solo
Futch/Jeff
Sunset Road
P-Lod
Bela Solo
----------------
New South Africa

A great show!

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #51
mrchattr
My office...

4-21-04 was one of the greatest concert experiences ever, just because of what happened: I was already a huge 'Tones fan, but due to how busy I was at the time, wasn't keeping up on what concerts were coming around town. I was a member of Baltimore's Marching Ravens, and was driving down to practice when I got a call saying it was cancelled. I was around York at the time, so I got off to get dinner and get back on the highway, and drove past the Strand, with a sign saying that the Flecktones were playing there that night! I freaked out! So, I ran up to the window, and they were doing student rush (all available tickets only $10 to students with an id). So, I got a ticket, and since it was a single, ended up getting dropped in the third row! I watched the show, hung out with 'em afterwards, and loved EVERY second of it, and how random it was.

Setlist was:
Next
Mudslingers of the Milkey Way
Heidi
Snatchin'
Futch>
Futch/Bela Jam>
Off The Top
---------------------
Vic solo>
Vic/Jeff Jam>
Sojourn of Arjuna (partial)>
Weed Whacker>
Sleeper
Misunderstood
Scratch 'n' Sniff
Bela Solo
----------------------
Sinister Minister

Overall a solid set, although I sill have yet to hear Sojourn the whole way through, which I am dying for.

Setlist wise, the best show I've been to was, without a doubt, 9/17/06, the Fall tour closer from this year:

Cheesballs in Cowtown
P'Lod in The House
Roccoco
Synergy
Vic/Jeff
Scuttlebutt
Over The Wall
Futch/Bela>
Bigfoot
Who's Got 3
Next
Subterfuge (Come Together)
Weed Whacker>
Couch Potato
Whistle Tune
----------------
Big Country

I had been praying to get Whistle Tune and Big Country during one of the shows I got to see on the fall tour, and it took me until the very last two songs, but it was well worth the wait! I was blown away.

BTW, Tex, AIC has a slightly different set listed than what I just typed up, but I got the setlist from the soundguy, and he made the adjustments for me...just thought I'd let you know. I know for a fact that some of the transitions are wrong, because they stopped before Who's Got 3 and told a really long story about it. Also, they stopped to say "goodbye" so to speak, before Whistle Tune. Love the site...just trying to help a bit.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #52
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
BTW, Tex, AIC has a slightly different set listed than what I just typed up, but I got the setlist from the soundguy, and he made the adjustments for me...just thought I'd let you know. I know for a fact that some of the transitions are wrong, because they stopped before Who's Got 3 and told a really long story about it. Also, they stopped to say "goodbye" so to speak, before Whistle Tune. Love the site...just trying to help a bit.
Not a problem, I took the set from the recording, and a couple of the songs usually don't get listed on the setlist. If you haven't downloaded it yet, I highly recommend it. It's on archive.org.

As far as Synergy goes, I don't know why they mispelled it like that, after a listen I'm positive it's the same song that's on Victor's Solo album under the name Zenergy, so I have no clue why they named it like that.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #53
Wescoast

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones 06/29/02
Piggly Wiggly Music Stage/ Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI

Next
Puffy
Earth Jam
Big Country
Scratch and Sniff
Sherpa
Off The Top
A Moment So Close
Hoedown
E: Sinister Minister

This is the one and only show I've seen by the flecktones. It was great though, a dead cover band opened for nickelcreek who opened for the tones. So a great full day of music. and because i wanted to see the dead cover band we got there really early and was able to keep our front row bleacher spot. bela played a few songs with nickelcreek which was nice.
the tones set was really enjoyable. all i really wanted to hear was big country and they played it, so i was stoked. the vocal songs were pretty corny, but other than that it was great. this was pre little worlds, so there were some songs that hadnt been released yet. but i only have the quick, little worlds and live art so im not super familiar with flecktones tunes. nickelcreek definitely brought the house down more and i think as a whole, if the tones opened for them it would have been an even more enjoyable evening.
Wescoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #54
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Not a problem, I took the set from the recording, and a couple of the songs usually don't get listed on the setlist. If you haven't downloaded it yet, I highly recommend it. It's on archive.org.

As far as Synergy goes, I don't know why they mispelled it like that, after a listen I'm positive it's the same song that's on Victor's Solo album under the name Zenergy, so I have no clue why they named it like that.
Thanks, man, I haven't gotten a pull of it yet. I'll have to jump on that once I get my bittorrent working again.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #55
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescoast View Post
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones 06/29/02
Piggly Wiggly Music Stage/ Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI

Next
Puffy
Earth Jam
Big Country
Scratch and Sniff
Sherpa
Off The Top
A Moment So Close
Hoedown
E: Sinister Minister

This is the one and only show I've seen by the flecktones. It was great though, a dead cover band opened for nickelcreek who opened for the tones. So a great full day of music. and because i wanted to see the dead cover band we got there really early and was able to keep our front row bleacher spot. bela played a few songs with nickelcreek which was nice.
the tones set was really enjoyable. all i really wanted to hear was big country and they played it, so i was stoked. the vocal songs were pretty corny, but other than that it was great. this was pre little worlds, so there were some songs that hadnt been released yet. but i only have the quick, little worlds and live art so im not super familiar with flecktones tunes. nickelcreek definitely brought the house down more and i think as a whole, if the tones opened for them it would have been an even more enjoyable evening.
Wow! I know I asked if we could get some more NC with the 'Tones stuff here, but if anyone has any Bela with NC, that would be amazing as well...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #56
bbycrei

Quote:

Yah I watch the youtube vid of them playing it in the studio every once in a while. I love that song.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #57
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
Yah I watch the youtube vid of them playing it in the studio every once in a while. I love that song.
That is a great DVD by the way. It's cool to see how they go about the entire process. Vic pretty much has it his head in a certain way and he tells the guys how he would like them to play it and they toy around with it.

Plus there are several shots of Carter messing it up, which I guess could be expected, it was the first time he was playing it.

A great DVD, probably would make a great Christmas gift . . . for yourself of course!

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #58
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I had a VHS mix of random TV appearances from the 'Tones and it got recorded over...

BET Jazz performance from '94 (just the trio)
'92 Florida Jazz fest performance
Leno and Carson performances

and a bunch of other random stuff. I'm still kicking myself over recording over it on accident.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #59
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I had a VHS mix of random TV appearances from the 'Tones and it got recorded over...

BET Jazz performance from '94 (just the trio)
'92 Florida Jazz fest performance
Leno and Carson performances

and a bunch of other random stuff. I'm still kicking myself over recording over it on accident.
Yeah I understand I wish there was a way to get a hold of all those past performances. It's upsetting that they aren't around.

I do have a TV appearance from last year. They played Rococo & Sex In A Pan. But it's still in TX. Maybe I'll get it when I go down for Christmas.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #60
bbycrei

Aren't we still on the lookout for the PBS Sierra Center Stage?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc