These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #41
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Yeah a couple of shows into the tour and they had already perfected it. I still think that's probably the best version of that song.
Definitely the best one released. The 5/30/08 and 6/18/08 ones are incredible too.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #42
TheNoise
Hello, my name is Mr... Snrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
You Might Die Trying from the Busch Stadium show (LT13) is absolutely killer. Both Roi and Tim shred their solos. Shit, even Rashawn's little solo is tasty.
This is so true. There's some sort of quality to Roi's solo that I have a hard time describing... like a wistfulness. Especially what he's doing starting around the 5 minute mark. The whole thing is really beautiful, and kind of sad, if that makes any sense.

And then, yes, Tim.
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #43
batleon

Roi was completely unshackled in June '08. His fills were all over the place in songs that he'd been absent from for years. He was trying out new instruments in different places (pennywhistle intro for Two Step and Everyday? Sure. Oboe on Bartender? Why not?) throughout. He was super vibrant for that stretch. It's one of the reasons why it's such a good month.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #44
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

6/14/08 Billies is also noteworthy, Carter just goes nuts for the whole song. There are also some really good Cornbreads from this period.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #45
Tomacco

Yeah this month was definitely the peak for both YMDT and Cornbread.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #46
Rowsdower
TIMING FREE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah this month was definitely the peak for both YMDT and Cornbread.
And Eh Hee.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #47
terrapin24

I caught 3 out of 4 SPAC week (Darien, N1 & N2), skipped Toronto. First time I ever saw Tim other than D&F and I was completely blown away. I had seen probably 10 or so shows prior to that, and they were already my favorite band, but the new energy could be felt. I still habitually listen to these 3 shows. I feel Darien is overlooked because of how great SPAC was. That show had a great opening run, and even that version of OOMY is decent.

Still one of the fondest memories musically that week was hearing the SDL outro for the first time at Darien and then hearing it N2 and being able to actually see in person how it was developing.
terrapin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #48
batleon

I remember the Darien show being pretty good (I was listening to every tape as that tour went on).

The fact that some of these shows are overlooked just tells you how good of a month it was, a show like Darien or Hartford 2 or Toyota Park or Busch would have been the show of the tour a year or two earlier (i.e. the dreaded '05-'07 period)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #49
spoke.

06.21.2008. One of my favorite tapes and SPAC shows I've been to.

I also loved that Toyota Park/Busch Stadium weekend. Bela showing up in Chicago. Love the Long Black Veil in the encore at Toyota.

Also, being at Busch Stadium when they busted into Water/Wine is such a crazy moment to witness. First time since 10/24/1996. I still wonder how that came about.

Those Alpine shows in August were also something special.
spoke. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #50
Mike VDH
Can we check the tweets Craig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke. View Post
06.21.2008. One of my favorite tapes and SPAC shows I've been to.

I also loved that Toyota Park/Busch Stadium weekend. Bela showing up in Chicago. Love the Long Black Veil in the encore at Toyota.

Also, being at Busch Stadium when they busted into Water/Wine is such a crazy moment to witness. First time since 10/24/1996. I still wonder how that came about.

Those Alpine shows in August were also something special.
I literally went to every single one of the shows you mentioned above - what a great year 2008 was. How great the Toyota Park show was convinced Ronan and myself to go to Busch the next night, a decision we made on the fly, as he has mentioned. Loved every show I saw that summer.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #51
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
I literally went to every single one of the shows you mentioned above - what a great year 2008 was. How great the Toyota Park show was convinced Ronan and myself to go to Busch the next night, a decision we made on the fly, as he has mentioned. Loved every show I saw that summer.
Raise your hand if you changed your plans in some way this month

I already planned to hit SPAC 2 and both Mansfield shows that year but when the tapes started coming out I realized it wasn't enough and I got lawn seats to Hartford 2. So glad I did because, as mentioned, it was an amazing show
Old 08-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #52
raven

This was the last year I got decent seats from the WH.. I was 3rd row for Mansfield 1 but we were on the aisle so it was basically front row in front of Roi. It was surreal being that close.. I can clearly remember being really close to the giant screen that covered the stage and rose during The Stone
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #53
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
Awesome times

The 2 shows in June. 2 at Deer Creek in July. 2 at Alpine in August. Very different vibe at all 3. 6 solid shows spread out over the course of the summer. 2 with roi, saw Bela, then 4 with Jeff. Just had no idea what was coming a few weeks after Alpine
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc