These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #21
mja271

Been to 3 shows at Red Rocks and it's easily the best venue that I've been to. Simply majestic. Recently read the article that greykitkat posted above as well and am assuming that has something to do with it. I had a chat with a member of Umphrey's a while back about RR and he echoed the same sentiment that they have multiple years planned out there for their annual stop. I'm sure a band of DMB's stature could challenge a pre booked date, but maybe they just don't think it's worth it if it means they'd only get in there for one night. Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
Josh.0

I was unaware of how hard it was to book a spot at Red Rocks. But with that said, it seems like it's well known in the industry, so wouldn't the band want to book dates, like, now for next year if they really plan on returning? It seems like with some forward planning it isn't too much of an issue.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #23
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I was unaware of how hard it was to book a spot at Red Rocks. But with that said, it seems like it's well known in the industry, so wouldn't the band want to book dates, like, now for next year if they really plan on returning? It seems like with some forward planning it isn't too much of an issue.
Well, there are a million things we don't know that might effect that. Hell, they could already have 3 date's booked for next year that they booked years ago. We wouldn't know. I imagine if they are playing there is would be 3 nights. There are contracts with Dick's. Fiddler's Green was a new venue, they may have gotten concessions on something to have them play there. We just don't know.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #24
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Oh and don't hold your breath on dates being added--from what I've heard there will not be any more dates added to the D+T tour or any dates in general the rest of the year except for a handful of one-off benefit type of shows similar to what Dave and Tim did In the fall. The source is from DMB family so god knows if they're correct, but it seemed legit. If they weee adding more Sumer dates they would have been announced a while ago, its way too late now. Fall is always possible but I think this is it for the summer

Thanks for being in DMB family to get us that info
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #25
willndmb

I'll all but guarantee it's money.
Dmb is really too big for it, d&t would be a nice match though.
With the fact they can play other venues and make more money on top of it being a hard load in and everything else just makes it not that appealing as a whole.
That said, you can bet your ass what the crew has to deal with will take a back seat when that's the amount of tickets they sell on a regular and it's profitable to play there
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Thanks for being in DMB family to get us that info

I had the same exact thought.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Just thought of maybe another possible reason: the altitude. Maybe certain band members are too out of shape to deal with it or Dave's worried about his voice not being pretty enough because of the dryness?

I think that could be a reason but then remember 66-year-old former heroin addict Tom Petty tearing the place down the other night (twice, actually) and realize that the altitude can't possibly be the reason.
I find this hard to believe. I think the entire band has been flying across the country (and world) since 1989, and this isn't the reason. Could be scheduling, payment, so many different variables. Scheduling I'd say to be the main one.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #28
shadowraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
All the natives hate us for moving here so it's all we got mitch.

edibles and tdc gets me through my days between red rocks shows
ha I didn't realize you left us.

Seems like everyone is moving to Colorado. it's like a cult. do they put something in the water?

Shows seen - http://www.DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=1485

I saw the last Angel.
shadowraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #29
celluloid hero

Red Rocks also isn't like say Hartford or Deer Creek and they just stopped going. They opened there a couple times but only played 5 full shows in 3 different years there before stopping and the 2005 trip was billed as a throwback in itself.

They had 1 in 1995, 2 in 1997 and 2 in 1998 - but that's it. Take the name off the venue and I don't think anyone would really give it a second thought why they don't play the venue any more. For instance "Why don't they play West Valley City any more..." Doesn't make it not worth discussing and they don't always hit Denver. It just seems like they were way more regular at Red Rocks than they actually were.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #30
patsfan39

That logic really falls flat for me, its one of the premier venues in the country. West Valley City is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hey! This has already been addressed here by others. No dancing! You will sit quietly in your seat throughout the performance!
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #31
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
That logic really falls flat for me, its one of the premier venues in the country. West Valley City is not.
All I'm saying is that the Utah venue was a more consistent stop than Red Rocks, that's all. We're not asking why they don't play a venue any more that they hit for like 8 straight years. They played at Red Rocks only three different years. There's not this massive Red Rocks tradition. There's one famous show they released and it's a beautiful venue.

I mean how many of these hardcore fans on this board have even listened to any of those four other Red Rocks concerts. Maybe the Popper guest spot 15 years ago? All four have good tapes and are of popular years/tours.

I'm just saying that Red Rocks is not the DMB tradition that they stopped doing that it seems. I wasn't trying to compare the venues, though I can see it sounded that way.

Hell DMB have a tradition of canceling at West Valley City that extends almost as long as they frequented Red Rocks :-).
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #32
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraven View Post
ha I didn't realize you left us.

Seems like everyone is moving to Colorado. it's like a cult. do they put something in the water?
Yeah man, I love Chicago but this has been a positive for me. I wanted a change of scenery and this lined up with a career change. So far, so good.

There has been a mass influx of people moving here and it makes sense. You have a growing city with tons of opportunities (nightlife, pro sports, vibrant music scene + easy access to some of the best hiking/biking/skiing/camping/hunting in the world).

It's pretty much always sunny, but you also get to experience all four seasons. I wish it would rain/thunderstorm more, I can't believe how little snow Denver actually gets. There's no humidity and basically no mosquitos.

Rent is very high and buying a home is a real challenge here. Hopefully that levels out a bit. And Denver badly needs an overhaul of its pizza/hotdog/sausage/beef/bagel scene The Mexican food is on point, though.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #33
mario

Just toss a couple other contributing factors:

There aren't any hotels nearby for the band and crew to stay, in 2005 I believe they stayed downtown which is a solid 30 minutes away. It's not a big issue for the band as much as the crew I would think.

The stage is tiny, so they probably have to designed a set, rig, etc. just for that venue.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #34
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Also, just for thought... could it be that Red Rocks doesn't want DMB playing there? They had phish banned after '96 for many years. Maybe the fans and 'scene' are just not something they are excited to deal with. They can sell out lower key acts that are less drama for them and less taxing on the surrounding environment there.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #35
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Eh, if Red Rocks is ok with the EDM crowd (there's a big debate about this here) then they can handle with DMB/Dave and Tim.

The EDM acts provide the most drama & provide the most disturbances for people how live anywhere near the place.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #36
Josh.0

Quote:
Yeah man, I love Chicago but this has been a positive for me. I wanted a change of scenery and this lined up with a career change. So far, so good.

There has been a mass influx of people moving here and it makes sense. You have a growing city with tons of opportunities (nightlife, pro sports, vibrant music scene + easy access to some of the best hiking/biking/skiing/camping/hunting in the world).

It's pretty much always sunny, but you also get to experience all four seasons. I wish it would rain/thunderstorm more, I can't believe how little snow Denver actually gets. There's no humidity and basically no mosquitos.

Rent is very high and buying a home is a real challenge here. Hopefully that levels out a bit. And Denver badly needs an overhaul of its pizza/hotdog/sausage/beef/bagel scene The Mexican food is on point, though.
Damn, get out of my head! It's funny how everyone here loves it for the same reasons but we're all also becoming weary of the housing crisis that does exist. It's amazing how little $400K, $500K can get you when it comes to real estate here right now. It's insane. The growth is great but jobs aren't paying anywhere close to the levels necessary to keep up with cost of living. I'm working from home right now because I'm getting paid much, much more doing that for an out of state healthcare organization than I would for anything instate. Like, 75% more. The job market is way, way out of whack, which I know has a lot of people fearing a real estate market implosion at some point.

With all of that said, I zero percent miss New England (Boston, in particular...because Vermont and Maine are great and I'd consider moving back to either). While some douchebags are starting to flock to Denver and kill the vibe a bit, people are still far and away friendlier than they are in the northeast, the weather is way, way better, the beer scene is about equal to what you get in New England (maybe half a notch below, at worse), the music scene is better, the mountains are amazing (I hiked the Manitou Incline this weekend and my legs are still screaming), and access to the west coast is awesome - California, Oregon, and Washington are always just a ~$150-$200 RT flight away.

With all of that said, if the real estate market continues to take off at absurd rates - with like 1000 square foot, 2br 1 br, bungalows in "up and coming neighborhoods" selling for $400-$500k, then I may opt to leave at some point just to avoid getting locked into a dangerous mortgage.

I could continue to rent, but decent 1br apartments are like $1,700-$2,000 now, so that option isn't all that much better.

But yeah, outside of the (very real and very worrisome) real estate issues going on in Denver, it really is heaven on earth out here.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #37
Josh.0

Quote:
Eh, if Red Rocks is ok with the EDM crowd (there's a big debate about this here) then they can handle with DMB/Dave and Tim.

The EDM acts provide the most drama & provide the most disturbances for people how live anywhere near the place.
Yeah, my first show was Lotus and Tycho. Whatever you wanted you could have easily found there. Whatever. You. Wanted.

DMB seems like the least of their worries.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc